**Opinions Needed**

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

What is the biggest issue you encounter when obtaining books?

High Cost
59%
Time (travel time to bookstore, library; time spent in bookstore, library; time spent ordering online; etc.)
6%
Other
7%
I don't encounter any of the above issues
28%

Total votes: 68

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: **Opinions Needed**

Post by ianbuchanan »

pricklypurple wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 12:27 I think new books are just too expensive. Luckily, there are lots of way to find used books, or free books at the library.
Agreed! Yes, libraries are my go-to source for books for just those reasons, the books are free! I just love it. What's your primary way of getting books?
StephanieCorinne22
Currently Reading: Counted Righteous in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephaniecorinne22.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by StephanieCorinne22 »

I have just discovered thriftbooks and am getting tons from there now. They are usually under $4 and after you spend $10 it is free shipping. I find this much cheaper than Amazon, but if thriftbooks doesn't have something I want, I will use amazon.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

StephanieCorinne22 wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 15:06 I have just discovered thriftbooks and am getting tons from there now. They are usually under $4 and after you spend $10 it is free shipping. I find this much cheaper than Amazon, but if thriftbooks doesn't have something I want, I will use amazon.
Yeah they seem to be a great source that others on these forums seem to use pretty frequently as well! Do you usually find what you want on thriftbooks? Or are you finding that you have to go to Amazon much of the time?
Anna H

Post by Anna H »

I am loyal to reading printed books instead of ebooks ( though I do think they're amazing) because I prefer the feel and atmosphere they give, but buying a new book is rather costly and local libraries might take a while to source them. I buy all my paper books used in second hand charity shops for example where they're still in good condition and are affordable. I just have to wait a while until somebody donates them.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Anna H wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 17:33 I am loyal to reading printed books instead of ebooks ( though I do think they're amazing) because I prefer the feel and atmosphere they give, but buying a new book is rather costly and local libraries might take a while to source them. I buy all my paper books used in second hand charity shops for example where they're still in good condition and are affordable. I just have to wait a while until somebody donates them.
Thanks for sharing! I agree with you completely regarding your preference for print books versus digital books, I just love the physical touch and turning of pages. Libraries, in most cases, from experience and from what I've read, get copies of newly released books on the very same day the books are released via other outlets (online, stores, etc.). However, with more highly demanded new releases, libraries can quickly run out of available copies available to be rented, leaving library-goers with two options: wait until it becomes "their turn" to rent the book or look to obtaining the book from another source. Libraries, of course, will evaluate, paying close attention to their purchasing budget, whether buying additional copies of highly demanded books is worthwhile, in which case, more library-goers will have access to these books.

Buying second hand is a great option! Do you ever purchase used books online or go to a local library and rent a book?
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

The prices of books are a great challenge for most of the readers. But I think the electronic delivery system is better.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Bukari wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 15:09 The prices of books are a great challenge for most of the readers. But I think the electronic delivery system is better.
Thanks for sharing! Do you enjoy reading e-books? I know they are very convenient.
Bukari

Post by Bukari »

Yeah! I am very sure about my stand, and there is no doubt about it.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
alangner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alangner.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by alangner »

I love both paper and digital books. As for paying for an on-demand service to deliver paper books to my door...gotta go with a no on that one. I pay for Kindle Unlimited because I pay less per month for that than I would for the individual books. As for paper books, I use PaperbackSwap and am more than happy to wait for them to arrive. I pay nothing for books I order. I only pay shipping when I send a book out to someone.

I know the libraries near me used to do the bookmobile thing. I don't know if they do anymore, because I haven't used a library in years. Partly, because if you don't make the time to return the book(s), you have the fines you have to pay. I'd rather own the book and be able to get to it when I get to it.

Also, you can get cheap books from Goodwill. If you go on their 50%-off days, they're even less. I haven't paid more than 99 cents for a book in I don't know how long.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Bukari wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 11:57 Yeah! I am very sure about my stand, and there is no doubt about it.
Awesome! What do you like most about e-books? Is it the convenience of getting them quickly? Do you prefer electronic to print format?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

alangner wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 20:20 I love both paper and digital books. As for paying for an on-demand service to deliver paper books to my door...gotta go with a no on that one. I pay for Kindle Unlimited because I pay less per month for that than I would for the individual books. As for paper books, I use PaperbackSwap and am more than happy to wait for them to arrive. I pay nothing for books I order. I only pay shipping when I send a book out to someone.

I know the libraries near me used to do the bookmobile thing. I don't know if they do anymore, because I haven't used a library in years. Partly, because if you don't make the time to return the book(s), you have the fines you have to pay. I'd rather own the book and be able to get to it when I get to it.

Also, you can get cheap books from Goodwill. If you go on their 50%-off days, they're even less. I haven't paid more than 99 cents for a book in I don't know how long.
Thanks for sharing! With Kindle Unlimited you pay for the service and for individual books as well right? And PaperbackSwap seems like a really cool idea!

Yep, there are certainly several ways to get cheap books, and owning may be better than renting for some of course. This idea would offer readers another way to get books for a low price, free from any inconveniences...no need to travel to a store, no need to travel to return the book. While they'd only be able to rent books, they can always elect to renew their rented books, and can do so online.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I think in this day and time, this is not something that people are going to use. I can borrow books for free from my library and read them on my kindle. Or our library has a book mobile that will bring any book I want for free, no deliver fee at all. If I do purchase a book it is rare and it typically costs no more than a few dollars. I haven't spent probably more than $50 on books in the last 5 years. Ereaders are so cheap to buy as well or heck you can even just use your smart phone so most people don't see the need to have actual books anymore. Plus you don't have to worry about how to return them, when to return them or if you bought it, having extra books lying around collecting dust. Probably about 20 years ago this would have been a great well sought for service, but I just don't see it happening today.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Bukari

Post by Bukari »

I know is very convenient and is also the fastest way to purchase books regardless of your geographical location.
alangner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alangner.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by alangner »

ianbuchanan wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 12:14
alangner wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 20:20 I love both paper and digital books. As for paying for an on-demand service to deliver paper books to my door...gotta go with a no on that one. I pay for Kindle Unlimited because I pay less per month for that than I would for the individual books. As for paper books, I use PaperbackSwap and am more than happy to wait for them to arrive. I pay nothing for books I order. I only pay shipping when I send a book out to someone.

Thanks for sharing! With Kindle Unlimited you pay for the service and for individual books as well right? And PaperbackSwap seems like a really cool idea!

Yep, there are certainly several ways to get cheap books, and owning may be better than renting for some of course. This idea would offer readers another way to get books for a low price, free from any inconveniences...no need to travel to a store, no need to travel to return the book. While they'd only be able to rent books, they can always elect to renew their rented books, and can do so online.

With KU, you only pay the monthly fee, which is $10.85. I can read as many KU books every month as I want. I can only "borrow" 10 at a time, but I can return them and take another as many times as I want every month. I can also "borrow" it for as long as I want. I've got at least a couple that I've had for several months. With everyone in my family having their own Kindle, it makes it super cheap for the entire family to read, because we share the KU.

I also know that the library system where I live has an electronic book system. I could, if I chose to, borrow books from the library and read them on my Kindle.Those return automatically unless they're renewed online.
Keilly Loves Books
Currently Reading: Invisibility
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keilly-loves-books.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Keilly Loves Books »

What a great idea! Though only charging for delivery doesn't seem very realistic. Would you source from every library in a community? Would every library have its own delivery staff? If so, how does that delivery staff get paid? In a highly technological world, libraries are becoming more and more common for people to hang out and get some studying or research done instead of actually renting books. Because of this, we see many library budget cuts (because they are funded by the government). How would a library sustain this system, when it is already struggling to sustain itself?

Like I said, I love this idea :) I feel that the main problem with it is the funding. If you can get those kinks worked out, I feel that you're on your way to a great business!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”