**Opinions Needed**

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

What is the biggest issue you encounter when obtaining books?

High Cost
59%
Time (travel time to bookstore, library; time spent in bookstore, library; time spent ordering online; etc.)
6%
Other
7%
I don't encounter any of the above issues
28%

Total votes: 68

Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: **Opinions Needed**

Post by Kareka88 »

I have a few suggestions to eliminate the issues you've mentioned.
1. High cost - The high-cost can be taken care of by utilizing free e-books. There are numerous free e-book sites available. Amazon has free books which are not in the Kindle Unlimited program (which has a monthly fee), Bookbub, Audible,
2. Time - Yes, it will take time to find a book you would be interested in reading. However, many online sites will help you with recommendations according to your history. i.e., Amazon and Goodreads.
3. I'm not sure what other types of issues people would have. I did see traveling or living abroad. I think e-books would solve most of these issues as well. Kindle Reader is a free app you can put on any computer.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ianbuchanan »

alangner wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 15:58
ianbuchanan wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 11:24
alangner wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 19:16

That's a hard question. I'm inclined to say print. I really love print books. Digital books are convenient and easy to store, plus I can read them with the lights out, but I just love print books. Also, it seems to me that print books are better edited than digital books. I rarely, if ever, find an error in a printed book. However, I find multiple errors in every single digital book I read.

Currently, I'm on the fourth book in a series. The first three books only had a few errors in them. This one has tons of errors. It's like whoever was editing got lazy or something. It really disgruntles me to find errors in books. One or two is understandable. Humans are fallible and I can realistically see missing just a couple things. More than that is just unacceptable. It's disrespectful to the reader and readers are what keep authors in business.

So, taking all that into account...I'd have to say print books are and will always be my preference.
I totally understand what you are saying, there is just something, which is somewhat indescribable, about print books that make them my go-to choice over digital. And very interesting point you bring up about errors...I almost never see any errors in the print books I read. Of course there are some, but they're usually limited to one per book, at a maximum. Do you know why digital books tend to have more errors? Do they not go through the same standards of editing as a print book?
I just finished the print copy of Ink and Bone by Lisa Unger and found some doozy errors in it (repelling instead of rappelling), which was extremely surprising to me. That said, in a 342-page book, I found less than 5 errors. And yet, when reviewing for OBC, you have to make note of the first 10 errors. That bespeaks an error problem.

Honestly, I think it's because a lot of digital books are self-published. Slap some words down on paper, format it for Kindle, and throw it up on the KDP site. Done. Abracadabra, you're an "author". Doesn't matter if you can't tell the difference between there, their, and they're - you're still an "author". And since the author is the one who made the mistake, and then the author is the one proofreading it (if they even do proofreading), how would they catch their own mistake if they didn't even know it was a mistake to begin with? Not knowing it was a mistake is an epic failure on the education system's part, but that's another topic altogether. haha

I did, however, come up with another reason that I prefer print books. They're actual novels. There are so many digital "books" out there that are less than 100 pages long. That's not a book. That's a short story. Too many digital books now aren't designed for character development, plot development, or an involved storyline that you can immerse yourself in. Yet, that's what a book is supposed to be.

In today's world, writing is kind of like the adage from Ratatouille that "anyone can cook". People seem to think anyone can write and it's just not so. Personally, if a digital book is less than 300 pages, I won't even consider it.
Well I certainly appreciate your candidness and honesty. Also, this was very informative, so thank you! While, I don't have experience with digital books, I can easily imagine the pervasive issue regarding errors based on the "publishing" process you've described. It seems like, with digital being the new "rage" in the book world, that writers are just looking to get material into the public view as soon as possible to capitalize on the attention digital books are receiving, without regard for simple matters such as grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.

Overall, this seems to be another reason to default to print books over digital, and likely a reason not thought of by many readers until it becomes an issue they experience.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Kareka88 wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 18:34 I have a few suggestions to eliminate the issues you've mentioned.
1. High cost - The high-cost can be taken care of by utilizing free e-books. There are numerous free e-book sites available. Amazon has free books which are not in the Kindle Unlimited program (which has a monthly fee), Bookbub, Audible,
2. Time - Yes, it will take time to find a book you would be interested in reading. However, many online sites will help you with recommendations according to your history. i.e., Amazon and Goodreads.
3. I'm not sure what other types of issues people would have. I did see traveling or living abroad. I think e-books would solve most of these issues as well. Kindle Reader is a free app you can put on any computer.
Thank you very much for your response and suggestions! I think they are all valid and good points! It seems like most of your solutions involve the use of e-books or digital books. My only question/concern in response would be regarding readers that prefer print over digital books. What solutions may exist for them? Personally, do you prefer digital to print? Or vice versa?
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

ianbuchanan, you are correct, a lot of my suggestions contain the use of an e-reader. I would say I like both, but, first and foremost, digital books are cheaper to buy if I want to keep them. I can get them immediately from anywhere, and I don't have to leave the house or wait for delivery. They don't take storage space in my home. (I've given away probably ten times as many print books as I currently have at home and online combined due to lack of storage space.) I can adjust the font size easily making them easier to read. My Kindle fits in my purse and is easy to carry. I also have the Kindle app on my phone, so I am never without a book. And, I don't have to tote a massive tome around wherever I go. However, saying all of this, there are times that I do enjoy a "real" book now and then. I may get a hankering in my brain that I want to settle in and read a nice long story so I will buy or borrow a print book. In my opinion, when on vacation, print books are delightful companions to have along.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Kareka88 wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 16:43 ianbuchanan, you are correct, a lot of my suggestions contain the use of an e-reader. I would say I like both, but, first and foremost, digital books are cheaper to buy if I want to keep them. I can get them immediately from anywhere, and I don't have to leave the house or wait for delivery. They don't take storage space in my home. (I've given away probably ten times as many print books as I currently have at home and online combined due to lack of storage space.) I can adjust the font size easily making them easier to read. My Kindle fits in my purse and is easy to carry. I also have the Kindle app on my phone, so I am never without a book. And, I don't have to tote a massive tome around wherever I go. However, saying all of this, there are times that I do enjoy a "real" book now and then. I may get a hankering in my brain that I want to settle in and read a nice long story so I will buy or borrow a print book. In my opinion, when on vacation, print books are delightful companions to have along.
Totally agree with the advantages you've laid out of e-readers, specifically their ability to be downloaded instantly and are not burdensome in size. I'd like to bring those benefits, to the best of our ability, to readers that prefer print books! I'd like to allow readers to get books very quickly by delivering from local libraries (which reduces cost, as well) and reduce the need to have shelf space for purchased books by having them rent versus buy. I think we all love print books, if not all of the time, definitely some of the time, as you've said. So, the goal is to make them as convenient and inexpensive as their digital counterparts!
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

While others' concerns are to do with lack of books at their local library, where I live, there is no local library nearby. I think it's a cool idea, though, just not a service I would be using.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

zarah_ wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 20:06 While others' concerns are to do with lack of books at their local library, where I live, there is no local library nearby. I think it's a cool idea, though, just not a service I would be using.
Thanks for sharing! Yeah...unfortunately libraries are not everywhere. How far away is the closest public library from you, just curious?
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

ianbuchanan wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 11:39
zarah_ wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 20:06 While others' concerns are to do with lack of books at their local library, where I live, there is no local library nearby. I think it's a cool idea, though, just not a service I would be using.
Thanks for sharing! Yeah...unfortunately libraries are not everywhere. How far away is the closest public library from you, just curious?
The nearest public library is about 25km away from my location

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”