**Opinions Needed**

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

What is the biggest issue you encounter when obtaining books?

High Cost
59%
Time (travel time to bookstore, library; time spent in bookstore, library; time spent ordering online; etc.)
6%
Other
7%
I don't encounter any of the above issues
28%

Total votes: 68

Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Re: **Opinions Needed**

Post by Camille Turner »

ianbuchanan wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 21:30
Camille Turner wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 09:08
ianbuchanan wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 23:31

Thanks for the response! In your opinion, what would be an ideal solution to this problem? It sounds like you could certainly benefit from e-readers and e-books, just to keep everything with you and organized!
In the end, I broke down and started using a Kindle about a year and a half ago but it doesn't replace the excitement of buying books for me. I have tried recently to not purchase so many but last year, we were living in Paris in the 5em which is where all of the bookstores are and I ended up buying way more than I wanted to. But the way I see it, it's just a part of what I love. Even if I am not sure how or when I'll be able to get my library all in one place, the joy of visiting bookstores all over the world is worth the unsolved question of where I'll keep them when I move. And, thankfully, my husband is rather tolerant of lugging books between countries. I don't believe there is a solution in the end, but I'd rather have books all over the world than none at all. :)
I know exactly what you mean! I really enjoy the act of getting a new book as well! Can't say I wouldn't have gotten carried away in Paris too :techie-studyinggray: . I'm not sure of the best way to keep a physical library while traveling the globe, but hopefully you're able to find a solution to the problem in the future!
Yes, I'm sure you can relate! :) Thank you; I hope so as well!
ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ianbuchanan »

Camille Turner wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 13:16
Camille Turner wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 09:08

In the end, I broke down and started using a Kindle about a year and a half ago but it doesn't replace the excitement of buying books for me. I have tried recently to not purchase so many but last year, we were living in Paris in the 5em which is where all of the bookstores are and I ended up buying way more than I wanted to. But the way I see it, it's just a part of what I love. Even if I am not sure how or when I'll be able to get my library all in one place, the joy of visiting bookstores all over the world is worth the unsolved question of where I'll keep them when I move. And, thankfully, my husband is rather tolerant of lugging books between countries. I don't believe there is a solution in the end, but I'd rather have books all over the world than none at all. :)
I know exactly what you mean! I really enjoy the act of getting a new book as well! Can't say I wouldn't have gotten carried away in Paris too :techie-studyinggray: . I'm not sure of the best way to keep a physical library while traveling the globe, but hopefully you're able to find a solution to the problem in the future!
Just curious...When did you and your husband start living and moving all over the world? Sounds like a very interesting and unique lifestyle!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

ianbuchanan wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 22:11

Just curious...When did you and your husband start living and moving all over the world? Sounds like a very interesting and unique lifestyle!
It is a very different one for sure. :) I started before he did (a few years after finishing university and working in the states). I wound up traveling around Europe and was spending some time in Paris when I met him (I always find it quite lucky that an American -- me -- and a Colombian -- my husband -- met in France, who would've thought). He is a few years younger than me and was finishing up his degree in gastronomic cooking at the time. He graduated a few months after we met and after we got married, we just decided to keep traveling! We love it!
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

My issue is the money aspects of book buying. But if they had some kind of version for ebooks and books much like Netflix that be awesome.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Camille Turner wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 09:22

It is a very different one for sure. :) I started before he did (a few years after finishing university and working in the states). I wound up traveling around Europe and was spending some time in Paris when I met him (I always find it quite lucky that an American -- me -- and a Colombian -- my husband -- met in France, who would've thought). He is a few years younger than me and was finishing up his degree in gastronomic cooking at the time. He graduated a few months after we met and after we got married, we just decided to keep traveling! We love it!
Awesome! Your life is the envy of many, I'm sure! Do you have your future travel plans all figured out in terms of the destination? What's been your favorite spot so far?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jfoust1988 wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 13:25 My issue is the money aspects of book buying. But if they had some kind of version for ebooks and books much like Netflix that be awesome.
I agree with you that money can certainly be an obstacle to reading. Prices can be awful high at times depending on the book. So you'd like something that has books essentially "on-demand" that also provides you with recommendations based on your past reading behavior? I think that'd be awesome and very helpful as well!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

ianbuchanan wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 19:43

Awesome! Your life is the envy of many, I'm sure! Do you have your future travel plans all figured out in terms of the destination? What's been your favorite spot so far?
:) No, we don't have all of our future travel plans though we do have big ideas. We never know where we will go for sure, though the goal is to explore each of the continents at some point. We do know, however, that our next shorter trip — hopefully in a few months — will be to the Amazon Rain Forest! So far, I've loved so many spots and while I couldn't pick one favorite, I will say that London, Dublin, Paris and all of Italy have been in my top favorites in terms of literary touring. I also seriously fell in love with Giverny, Monet's home in France. The world is just so full of amazing cultures and places!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Camille Turner wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 17:25

:) No, we don't have all of our future travel plans though we do have big ideas. We never know where we will go for sure, though the goal is to explore each of the continents at some point. We do know, however, that our next shorter trip — hopefully in a few months — will be to the Amazon Rain Forest! So far, I've loved so many spots and while I couldn't pick one favorite, I will say that London, Dublin, Paris and all of Italy have been in my top favorites in terms of literary touring. I also seriously fell in love with Giverny, Monet's home in France. The world is just so full of amazing cultures and places!
Amazon Rain Forest...Awesome! All of those places are on my bucket list, especially Italy, Greece is a dream destination of mine as well. I'm still young and hope to get to all of those places, but you and your husband's lifestyle sound very exciting and enlightening! I have to start thinking of traveling and actually start traveling! So much to experience and learn out there!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

ianbuchanan wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 21:15

Amazon Rain Forest...Awesome! All of those places are on my bucket list, especially Italy, Greece is a dream destination of mine as well. I'm still young and hope to get to all of those places, but you and your husband's lifestyle sound very exciting and enlightening! I have to start thinking of traveling and actually start traveling! So much to experience and learn out there!
Oh, Greece would be amazing! I haven't been yet. Thank you so much! It's been fun chatting about it with you. :) I'm sure you can do it if you really want to. We are quite young as well (I'm 26 and my husband turns 23 soon) but it is actually a very attainable dream if you are willing to be adventurous. I agree with you that there is so much to experience and learn. The wonderful part is that if you can afford your plane tickets (I am a writer/editor so I work online from anywhere, for example), the rest can be quite cheap if you work for lodging/food, WOOF on farms, teach English in exchange for lodging, couch-surf, backpack, etc. What I mean to say is that there are always ways to make it happen. I wish you lots of luck and really hope you do get to go to all the places you want!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Camille Turner wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 21:42

Oh, Greece would be amazing! I haven't been yet. Thank you so much! It's been fun chatting about it with you. :) I'm sure you can do it if you really want to. We are quite young as well (I'm 26 and my husband turns 23 soon) but it is actually a very attainable dream if you are willing to be adventurous. I agree with you that there is so much to experience and learn. The wonderful part is that if you can afford your plane tickets (I am a writer/editor so I work online from anywhere, for example), the rest can be quite cheap if you work for lodging/food, WOOF on farms, teach English in exchange for lodging, couch-surf, backpack, etc. What I mean to say is that there are always ways to make it happen. I wish you lots of luck and really hope you do get to go to all the places you want!
Thanks for the well wishes! I know I can make it happen, time to just put some ideas into action! And thanks for presenting some ideas on how to make those traveling dreams seem more realistic and attainable! Enjoy your many destinations to come!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

ianbuchanan wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 17:55
Camille Turner wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 21:42

Thanks for the well wishes! I know I can make it happen, time to just put some ideas into action! And thanks for presenting some ideas on how to make those traveling dreams seem more realistic and attainable! Enjoy your many destinations to come!
You are quite welcome! Absolutely, you can. :) Thank you so much!
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 19:46
Jfoust1988 wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 13:25 My issue is the money aspects of book buying. But if they had some kind of version for ebooks and books much like Netflix that be awesome.
I agree with you that money can certainly be an obstacle to reading. Prices can be awful high at times depending on the book. So you'd like something that has books essentially "on-demand" that also provides you with recommendations based on your past reading behavior? I think that'd be awesome and very helpful as well!
Yes that is exactly what I was thinking. It would be well worth the time and effort to design a platform for this type of reading experience. With reasonable prices many people who love to read would join. Just as movie lovers jumped all over ruku, hulu and Netflix.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jfoust1988 wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 12:48
ianbuchanan wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 19:46
Yes that is exactly what I was thinking. It would be well worth the time and effort to design a platform for this type of reading experience. With reasonable prices many people who love to read would join. Just as movie lovers jumped all over ruku, hulu and Netflix.
Agreed 100%. I think that is something missing from the market that will not be missing for long. Or maybe it exists and we just don't know about it quite yet! I know that a deterrent to reading for many people is simply not knowing what to read next or where to find it for a good price. I think something that could combine those two aspects: inform readers of what they may like to read next, and enable them to pay the lowest price, would be incredibly useful to not only existing avid readers, but also to 'on-the-fringe'/'casual' readers that could use some much needed guidance!
AngieIs
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieis.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AngieIs »

Maybe it's just a rural thing, but I live in the US west and some libraries used to actually DO that...You would request your book, the librarian would drop it in the mail, and the next day your book would show up in your mailbox (at the county's expense). My local libraries mostly phased that out with Overdrive (although I know they still do home deliveries for some of their housebound patrons). Of course we also still have a Bookmobile, so maybe it is just a rural thing.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

AngieIs wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 00:15 Maybe it's just a rural thing, but I live in the US west and some libraries used to actually DO that...You would request your book, the librarian would drop it in the mail, and the next day your book would show up in your mailbox (at the county's expense). My local libraries mostly phased that out with Overdrive (although I know they still do home deliveries for some of their housebound patrons). Of course we also still have a Bookmobile, so maybe it is just a rural thing.
Awesome, thanks for sharing! Yeah, based on what I've found, many counties used to have a similar system but the costs just became too prohibitive because they simply couldn't charge enough to make the effort profitable or even a wash financially (as their mission as a public library in essence limits what they could charge as they are supposed to provide free services). How does Bookmobile operate? Is that independent of the library system or no?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”