**Opinions Needed**

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

What is the biggest issue you encounter when obtaining books?

High Cost
59%
Time (travel time to bookstore, library; time spent in bookstore, library; time spent ordering online; etc.)
6%
Other
7%
I don't encounter any of the above issues
28%

Total votes: 68

SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: **Opinions Needed**

Post by SparklingOne »

I used to subscribe to something like this prior to owning my kindle. It was called Booksfree.com they were nearby in VA, so I had a paid membership. It was sort of like netflix for books, since they gave you free return envelopes to return them in, it made paper books so easy to obtain. Have been using a kindle since 2009, so I'm not sure if they are still in business or not. If you are considering beginning a business along these lines it would probably be a good idea to look how the competition does it, perhaps you can make a good thing even better, As I remember selection was easy on the internet, but the choices weren't infinite. Unlike my kindle you did have to wait for their delivery via snail mail. There are so many people who enjoy paper books, so I think it's a great idea
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I like the library delivery idea, it would definitely help people who have trouble getting to their local library. It wouldn't work for me (I live in the middle of nowhere) but it's definitely a great idea.
ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ianbuchanan »

StephanieCorinne22 wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 13:37 Definitely cost. I try to get as many books as I can from thrift stores, used book stores and the occasional library used book sales.
I understand, and I agree. That is one of the issues with buying, unfortunately. Renting, while you don't own the book, is typically free!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

StephanieCorinne22 wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 13:39 Personally, I like to own the books. I do get books from the library occassionally, but overall, I like to own them. Your idea would definitely help get me thinking more about "renting" books and may be a good option for people who like to do that. I would consider giving it a try!
Great, love to hear it, thanks for sharing! Are you currently a library patron/member?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

bclayton13 wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 00:23 I like the library delivery idea, it would definitely help people who have trouble getting to their local library. It wouldn't work for me (I live in the middle of nowhere) but it's definitely a great idea.
Thanks for sharing! Do you think you would use such a service if you lived in a more populated area? Do you think people would prefer the home delivery or going to their library to get their books?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

SparklingOne wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 23:30 I used to subscribe to something like this prior to owning my kindle. It was called Booksfree.com they were nearby in VA, so I had a paid membership. It was sort of like netflix for books, since they gave you free return envelopes to return them in, it made paper books so easy to obtain. Have been using a kindle since 2009, so I'm not sure if they are still in business or not. If you are considering beginning a business along these lines it would probably be a good idea to look how the competition does it, perhaps you can make a good thing even better, As I remember selection was easy on the internet, but the choices weren't infinite. Unlike my kindle you did have to wait for their delivery via snail mail. There are so many people who enjoy paper books, so I think it's a great idea
Thanks for sharing! Yep, booksfree.com, or BookLender as the company is called, does still exist to my knowledge. They deliver via mail as you said, which can take time. Where my idea can improve upon that is with a network of on-demand delivery drivers that can deliver desired books from the library to patrons at their residence within the day or by the next day, avoiding long wait times via traditional mail. The idea is to allow for physical books to be as accessible as quickly as possible to readers, without them having to sacrifice the convenience of staying home. I don't think physical books are dead yet! So, hopefully this idea has some potential! Would you be a customer if the service existed today?
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Residents of nursing homes use a service like this, but I think the one in my area is a library outreach.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 17:33
bclayton13 wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 00:23 I like the library delivery idea, it would definitely help people who have trouble getting to their local library. It wouldn't work for me (I live in the middle of nowhere) but it's definitely a great idea.
Thanks for sharing! Do you think you would use such a service if you lived in a more populated area? Do you think people would prefer the home delivery or going to their library to get their books?
I think I would, finding the time to get to the library is difficult, between work or other engagements. I'd personally love it, and it could even be possible if the service utilized usps or something similar. Im in an area where something like Ubereats is useless, but the mail still gets here. And I think many people would also prefer home delivery. There's nothing like finally being able to make time to make the trip and the library's closed.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

ianbuchanan wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 17:38
SparklingOne wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 23:30 I used to subscribe to something like this prior to owning my kindle. It was called Booksfree.com they were nearby in VA, so I had a paid membership. It was sort of like netflix for books, since they gave you free return envelopes to return them in, it made paper books so easy to obtain. Have been using a kindle since 2009, so I'm not sure if they are still in business or not. If you are considering beginning a business along these lines it would probably be a good idea to look how the competition does it, perhaps you can make a good thing even better, As I remember selection was easy on the internet, but the choices weren't infinite. Unlike my kindle you did have to wait for their delivery via snail mail. There are so many people who enjoy paper books, so I think it's a great idea
Thanks for sharing! Yep, booksfree.com, or BookLender as the company is called, does still exist to my knowledge. They deliver via mail as you said, which can take time. Where my idea can improve upon that is with a network of on-demand delivery drivers that can deliver desired books from the library to patrons at their residence within the day or by the next day, avoiding long wait times via traditional mail. The idea is to allow for physical books to be as accessible as quickly as possible to readers, without them having to sacrifice the convenience of staying home. I don't think physical books are dead yet! So, hopefully this idea has some potential! Would you be a customer if the service existed today?
That would definitely make that idea better, in several ways. Quicker access, more book choices...I wish you good luck.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Amanda Deck wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 17:44 Residents of nursing homes use a service like this, but I think the one in my area is a library outreach.
Right, many libraries offer delivery services to those unable to get to the library on their own. While it would be great if a service built around my idea could encompass these groups, if they already receive such services for free, it may be quite difficult to enter into that space...maybe we could be a helpful supplement though!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

SparklingOne wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 19:36
ianbuchanan wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 17:38
That would definitely make that idea better, in several ways. Quicker access, more book choices...I wish you good luck.
I think so too, thanks!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

bclayton13 wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 18:01
ianbuchanan wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 17:33
I think I would, finding the time to get to the library is difficult, between work or other engagements. I'd personally love it, and it could even be possible if the service utilized usps or something similar. Im in an area where something like Ubereats is useless, but the mail still gets here. And I think many people would also prefer home delivery. There's nothing like finally being able to make time to make the trip and the library's closed.
Right, while I must admit, like UberEats, a service like the one we're talking about here would likely have difficulty expanding its reach into rural areas. Unfortunately, I think those areas are best served through online orders, through Amazon, for example. And yes, avoiding trips to the library, saving time, is really the whole idea! Everyone likes to save time when they can, right!?
StephanieCorinne22
Currently Reading: Counted Righteous in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephaniecorinne22.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by StephanieCorinne22 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 17:30
StephanieCorinne22 wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 13:39 Personally, I like to own the books. I do get books from the library occassionally, but overall, I like to own them. Your idea would definitely help get me thinking more about "renting" books and may be a good option for people who like to do that. I would consider giving it a try!
Great, love to hear it, thanks for sharing! Are you currently a library patron/member?
Yes, I sure am! I have a library card. Like I said, I usually try to own the books I read, but i definitely have the occassional trip to the library. I recently went and got a biography and enjoyed it. I also love the childrens room and take my kids every once and a while. I definitely want to continue to see libraries thrive because I think reading is important to a society. I enjoy going to the used book sales they have because the proceeds go to the library.

I like the idea of getting books easily to people (we order so much stuff online now, why not renting books as well?) so your idea is a good one that has that goal!
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I think new books are just too expensive. Luckily, there are lots of way to find used books, or free books at the library.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

StephanieCorinne22 wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 14:18
ianbuchanan wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 17:30
Yes, I sure am! I have a library card. Like I said, I usually try to own the books I read, but i definitely have the occassional trip to the library. I recently went and got a biography and enjoyed it. I also love the childrens room and take my kids every once and a while. I definitely want to continue to see libraries thrive because I think reading is important to a society. I enjoy going to the used book sales they have because the proceeds go to the library.

I like the idea of getting books easily to people (we order so much stuff online now, why not renting books as well?) so your idea is a good one that has that goal!
Awesome and thank you! I couldn't agree with you more about libraries...they are cornerstones of any strong community, as reading is a cornerstone to any good thinker and learner! Where do you order your books from online?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”