How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Are you meeting your reading goals?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 124

AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Re: How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Post by AnnaKathleen »

ianbuchanan wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 17:26
AnnaKathleen wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 16:33
ianbuchanan wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 16:17

I do not, but it sounds very interesting! How does it work? Where can I find more info?!
you can do it at goodreads.com It's a fun! you can connect with friends, read reviews, ask authors questions, do challenges, enter giveaways etc.
Awesome, I'll have to check it out! Thanks!
No problem! Hope you enjoy :)
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ianbuchanan »

AnnaKathleen wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 21:25
AnnaKathleen wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 16:33

you can do it at goodreads.com It's a fun! you can connect with friends, read reviews, ask authors questions, do challenges, enter giveaways etc.
Can you buy books and ebooks off of goodreads? It seems like you can subscribe to receive book deals, but are you aware if you can buy directly from the site?
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

ianbuchanan wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 16:06
anix67 wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 17:48
ianbuchanan wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 16:28

Awesome, it's always great to hear that there are still classic-lovers out there! How do you typically get your books (buy, rent, borrow, etc.)? And from where? I'm always curious if there are other cool ways that people are getting their books that I may be missing out on! I've really been into uplifting and inspiring books based on true stories...they do a great job at putting things in perspective and allow me to appreciate what I have, plus they are great ways to learn how to succeed in life, in whatever way you define success!
That's awesome! I usually either go to Barnes and Nobles which is like a half hour from my house, I get them on my kindle, or I go to a used book store. Sometimes I'll just get lucky and stumbled upon some good ones at an unexpected place (the other day I found a book section at the dollar tree and found some interesting ones!).
Cool! Sounds like you're always keeping an eye out for good books! How do you like your Kindle? I haven't yet tried out e-books or e-readers, so I'm curious to learn more! Do you prefer e-books to print books? Thanks for your insight!
I absolutely love my kindle! It's great! I use it all the time for e-books. I do prefer print books though. Just something about it plus my eyes don't get as tired. But I would definitely recommend getting a kindle fire if you are in the market for an e-reader.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

anix67 wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 17:02
anix67 wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 17:48

That's awesome! I usually either go to Barnes and Nobles which is like a half hour from my house, I get them on my kindle, or I go to a used book store. Sometimes I'll just get lucky and stumbled upon some good ones at an unexpected place (the other day I found a book section at the dollar tree and found some interesting ones!).
Cool! Sounds like you're always keeping an eye out for good books! How do you like your Kindle? I haven't yet tried out e-books or e-readers, so I'm curious to learn more! Do you prefer e-books to print books? Thanks for your insight!
I absolutely love my kindle! It's great! I use it all the time for e-books. I do prefer print books though. Just something about it plus my eyes don't get as tired. But I would definitely recommend getting a kindle fire if you are in the market for an e-reader.
Great, thanks for the recommendation! I can relate to eye tiredness, looking at a screen all day does my eyes no favors in the short or long run. Having you been reading more print or ebooks lately?
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

ianbuchanan wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 17:42

Great, thanks for the recommendation! I can relate to eye tiredness, looking at a screen all day does my eyes no favors in the short or long run. Having you been reading more print or ebooks lately?
I think I've been reading more ebooks lately ever since I joined the online book club. But I still read quite a few print books. What about you?
AnnaKathleen

Post by AnnaKathleen »

ianbuchanan wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 16:39

Can you buy books and ebooks off of goodreads? It seems like you can subscribe to receive book deals, but are you aware if you can buy directly from the site?
I think there are links that can take you to a specific book to purchase via Amazon but I don't believe you can purchase from Goodreads itself. Sometimes authors use the platform to give away books or exchange books for reviews. I've received a few there. I have also received some in exchange for reviews on LibraryThing.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

anix67 wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 17:49
ianbuchanan wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 17:42

I think I've been reading more ebooks lately ever since I joined the online book club. But I still read quite a few print books. What about you?
Oh cool! I exclusively read print books from my local library, just because I live nearby and they are free, not to mention my general preference for print books. There's just something about turning pages and everything else that comes with print books that I just like more than digital reading. However, there are definite benefits to ebooks and ereaders that I have trouble ignoring, so I could see why they are so popular! What do you like most about ebooks?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

AnnaKathleen wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 13:30
I think there are links that can take you to a specific book to purchase via Amazon but I don't believe you can purchase from Goodreads itself. Sometimes authors use the platform to give away books or exchange books for reviews. I've received a few there. I have also received some in exchange for reviews on LibraryThing.
Yeah, that's something I noticed as well when looking at the website. So is the site mainly an online community for book lovers to share book titles and thoughts?
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 19:04
Jesscar6 wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:15 I aim for a minimum of 1 book a week. Ideally I like, and often do, reach 2. Some weeks are different though depending on work.
Awesome, thanks for sharing! I also aim for 1 book per week and I've been doing so consistently for a bit now. What do you enjoy reading (genre, author, etc.)?

I mostly go for YA dystopian really. My favourite is The Atlantis Grail series by Vera Nazarian.
Every now and again I might read a sci-fi or fantasy.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jesscar6 wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 01:53
Jesscar6 wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:15 I aim for a minimum of 1 book a week. Ideally I like, and often do, reach 2. Some weeks are different though depending on work.
Awesome, thanks for sharing! I also aim for 1 book per week and I've been doing so consistently for a bit now. What do you enjoy reading (genre, author, etc.)?

I mostly go for YA dystopian really. My favourite is The Atlantis Grail series by Vera Nazarian.

Cool! Based on my involvement in this forum, you are certainly not alone in your tastes and preferences. I'm not all too familiar with that genre/category of novels but from talking with people in this forum, they sound very interesting and worth giving a try! What are you currently reading?
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 10:19
Jesscar6 wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 01:53

Cool! Based on my involvement in this forum, you are certainly not alone in your tastes and preferences. I'm not all too familiar with that genre/category of novels but from talking with people in this forum, they sound very interesting and worth giving a try! What are you currently reading?
Demon freaks by J.R.R.R. Hardison which is abit out of my normal reading zone and then after it will be Ravens Fall by Lincoln Cole.

I'm currently waiting for a pre-ordered book to come out (The Girl Who Dared to Think 7: The Girl Who Dared to Fight by Bella Forrest) so trying a few different ones in the meantime.
Hatarl1
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatarl1.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Hatarl1 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 16:16
Hatarl1 wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 20:28
ianbuchanan wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 18:12

Wow, very informative, thank you! Very resourceful! Getting books "in- bulk" seems like a very convenient method for you being such an avid reader. It sounds like you are also quite price conscious as a consumer of books...as am I, and I'd assume as are most regular readers. Is there a price you won't pay for a book, say for example, a newly released book you wanted to purchase, but costs a certain amount you aren't willing to pay? Or in these cases, do you just end up visiting the library? Thanks for your insight, it's very helpful!
Your welcome! Yes I am, considering books are really expensive and I don’t make a lot of money. When it comes to the newly released books I just wait until it’s on sale, unless I really really want to read it and need it now then I will buy it now, and again unless if it’s really expensive then I won’t get it. The most I payed was $15 for a hardcover book. But I try to find them in the library first before all else. If I get like extra money that I end up having then yay I will spoil myself with books.
Hahah, I see what you mean! Yeah, I almost exclusively go to libraries to get the books I want, unless there is a book that I'll want to keep long-term, then I'll buy it (for the cheapest price I can find :lol2: ). Do you live close by to your local library? I know, for me, I live some time away, and it hasn't impacted my reading habits as of yet, but it's an obstacle that in an ideal world would be avoided...
Yes that is how it is for me. I live about a 15 minutes drive away. So it’s not that far. If I don’t have time to keep going to library and search for the books I want, I usually go to their sites and look what they have. Once I find the books I want I place a hold on them. I get about 10 books which last me 3 to 4 weeks. So I don’t have to go back and forth every day or week. It’s easier that way. At my library I can keep books for 3 weeks so if I still have them, I renew it online so I can have another 3 weeks.
AnnaKathleen

Post by AnnaKathleen »

ianbuchanan wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 15:30
AnnaKathleen wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 13:30

Yeah, that's something I noticed as well when looking at the website. So is the site mainly an online community for book lovers to share book titles and thoughts?
Yes, it is mainly where people can share book thoughts and what they are reading. You can also find friends from social media on there, as well.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I am currently reading three books, but I will need to restart one of them because I keep getting distracted from it and taking long breaks in between chapters. :D
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

ianbuchanan wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 19:06
Jeyasivananth wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:18
ianbuchanan wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 18:00

Cool, that sounds like a great way to not only read, but to also fill your desire to analyze and solve. Oh, so you get paid to do this? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.
so far no...but I if you go up the level you get to do paid reviews.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”