How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Are you meeting your reading goals?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 124

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jesscar6 wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 06:53
ianbuchanan wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 10:19
Jesscar6 wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 01:53

I mostly go for YA dystopian really. My favourite is The Atlantis Grail series by Vera Nazarian.
Every now and again I might read a sci-fi or fantasy.

Cool! Based on my involvement in this forum, you are certainly not alone in your tastes and preferences. I'm not all too familiar with that genre/category of novels but from talking with people in this forum, they sound very interesting and worth giving a try! What are you currently reading?
Demon freaks by J.R.R.R. Hardison which is abit out of my normal reading zone and then after it will be Ravens Fall by Lincoln Cole.

I'm currently waiting for a pre-ordered book to come out (The Girl Who Dared to Think 7: The Girl Who Dared to Fight by Bella Forrest) so trying a few different ones in the meantime.
Never heard of them, but they certainly sound interesting! I also see by your name when you post that you're currently reading 'A Song of Ice and Fire' (which you may have finished by now)! Is that the Game of Thrones series?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Hatarl1 wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 11:15
ianbuchanan wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 16:16
Hatarl1 wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 20:28

Your welcome! Yes I am, considering books are really expensive and I don’t make a lot of money. When it comes to the newly released books I just wait until it’s on sale, unless I really really want to read it and need it now then I will buy it now, and again unless if it’s really expensive then I won’t get it. The most I payed was $15 for a hardcover book. But I try to find them in the library first before all else. If I get like extra money that I end up having then yay I will spoil myself with books.
Hahah, I see what you mean! Yeah, I almost exclusively go to libraries to get the books I want, unless there is a book that I'll want to keep long-term, then I'll buy it (for the cheapest price I can find :lol2: ). Do you live close by to your local library? I know, for me, I live some time away, and it hasn't impacted my reading habits as of yet, but it's an obstacle that in an ideal world would be avoided...
Yes that is how it is for me. I live about a 15 minutes drive away. So it’s not that far. If I don’t have time to keep going to library and search for the books I want, I usually go to their sites and look what they have. Once I find the books I want I place a hold on them. I get about 10 books which last me 3 to 4 weeks. So I don’t have to go back and forth every day or week. It’s easier that way. At my library I can keep books for 3 weeks so if I still have them, I renew it online so I can have another 3 weeks.
Sounds like the best way to go about it. It's always smart to minimize time spent traveling. Our time is precious, right! Do you think you would go to the library more often if you lived closer? Seems like you have a pretty good system worked out to efficiently get your books.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

AnnaKathleen wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 13:54
ianbuchanan wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 15:30
AnnaKathleen wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 13:30
I think there are links that can take you to a specific book to purchase via Amazon but I don't believe you can purchase from Goodreads itself. Sometimes authors use the platform to give away books or exchange books for reviews. I've received a few there. I have also received some in exchange for reviews on LibraryThing.
Yeah, that's something I noticed as well when looking at the website. So is the site mainly an online community for book lovers to share book titles and thoughts?
Yes, it is mainly where people can share book thoughts and what they are reading. You can also find friends from social media on there, as well.
That's a neat idea! I'm going to have to look further into it!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

JuliaKay wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 17:01 I am currently reading three books, but I will need to restart one of them because I keep getting distracted from it and taking long breaks in between chapters. :D
Awesome, thanks for sharing! What are you currently reading?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 17:58
ianbuchanan wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 19:06
Jeyasivananth wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:18

so far no...but I if you go up the level you get to do paid reviews.
I see...you have to 'earn your stripes' before you can get paid? Seems like a great way to turn a hobby into an income generator!
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 19:57
ianbuchanan wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 10:19

Cool! Based on my involvement in this forum, you are certainly not alone in your tastes and preferences. I'm not all too familiar with that genre/category of novels but from talking with people in this forum, they sound very interesting and worth giving a try! What are you currently reading?
Demon freaks by J.R.R.R. Hardison which is abit out of my normal reading zone and then after it will be Ravens Fall by Lincoln Cole.

I'm currently waiting for a pre-ordered book to come out (The Girl Who Dared to Think 7: The Girl Who Dared to Fight by Bella Forrest) so trying a few different ones in the meantime.
Never heard of them, but they certainly sound interesting! I also see by your name when you post that you're currently reading 'A Song of Ice and Fire' (which you may have finished by now)! Is that the Game of Thrones series?

Yeah it is. I got the 5 books in 1. Up to book 5 and taking a break from it at the moment.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

AnnaKathleen wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 13:31 Speaking of reading goals! Does anyone do the Goodreads Reading Challenge? I am, but I'm finding I care less about finishing the amount of books I agreed to and keep reading bigger books that take longer haha. Quality over quantity I think.
I love your statement, quality over quantity. I have not participated in the Goodreads Reading Challenge but totally agree that a small book with no quality is not something I want to spend my time on.
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BeatrixPotter »

I probably average about four per month. I'm an eclectic reader. That being said, I am currently reading five, but some more regularly than others. I always read a bit in the morning and before I go to sleep at night.
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

Jmteachmom wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 10:06
AnnaKathleen wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 13:31 Speaking of reading goals! Does anyone do the Goodreads Reading Challenge? I am, but I'm finding I care less about finishing the amount of books I agreed to and keep reading bigger books that take longer haha. Quality over quantity I think.
I love your statement, quality over quantity. I have not participated in the Goodreads Reading Challenge but totally agree that a small book with no quality is not something I want to spend my time on.
My thoughts exactly! Lol. Luckily there is no minimum if you do want to participate in the challenge. I think a reader knows themselves best and if you're reading it shouldn't matter how much or long you read as long as you still enjoy it. :)
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

ianbuchanan wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 20:02
ianbuchanan wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 15:30

Yeah, that's something I noticed as well when looking at the website. So is the site mainly an online community for book lovers to share book titles and thoughts?
Yes, it is mainly where people can share book thoughts and what they are reading. You can also find friends from social media on there, as well.
I hope it works out in a way you like :) It was the first book logging site I used and then I found others.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jesscar6 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 06:21

Yeah it is. I got the 5 books in 1. Up to book 5 and taking a break from it at the moment.
How have you enjoyed them? I love the TV series and have always considered reading the books in the back of my mind!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

AnnaKathleen wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:16
ianbuchanan wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 20:02
I hope it works out in a way you like :) It was the first book logging site I used and then I found others.
I hope so too! I'll have to let you know how I like it!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

BeatrixPotter wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 12:17 I probably average about four per month. I'm an eclectic reader. That being said, I am currently reading five, but some more regularly than others. I always read a bit in the morning and before I go to sleep at night.
Awesome, thanks for sharing! What do you enjoy reading the most (genre, author, etc.)?
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:38
Jesscar6 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 06:21

How have you enjoyed them? I love the TV series and have always considered reading the books in the back of my mind!

I am enjoying them. I read them after watching the show which Im glad I did. There are lots of smaller details in the books and a few differences in the plot (not too many though in my opinion).
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BeatrixPotter »

ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:41
BeatrixPotter wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 12:17 I probably average about four per month. I'm an eclectic reader. That being said, I am currently reading five, but some more regularly than others. I always read a bit in the morning and before I go to sleep at night.
Awesome, thanks for sharing! What do you enjoy reading the most (genre, author, etc.)?
Hmm, hard to say. I mostly read what interests me. At the moment four are nonfiction, and one Christian fiction. Poetry ranks pretty high. I also like historical fiction, biography and mystery/suspense.

What about you?
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”