How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Are you meeting your reading goals?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 124

Hatarl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatarl1.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Re: How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Post by Hatarl1 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 20:01
Hatarl1 wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 23:58
ianbuchanan wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 20:01

Sounds like the best way to go about it. It's always smart to minimize time spent traveling. Our time is precious, right! Do you think you would go to the library more often if you lived closer? Seems like you have a pretty good system worked out to efficiently get your books.
It is. Lol yes every moment counts! Yes, I probably would. Not to just get books, I would stay and read. I love the atmosphere and being surrounded by so many books makes me feel peace. If I have the money I would get a house that has a section like a library! It would be my own reading room. :D I don’t know if I am the only one that does this but I like the “smell” of books especially new ones and the energy around it. I’m probably weird that way :P
Libraries certainly are peaceful places! I'm with you on that one! A home library is almost a must for avid readers with the room for one...certainly a goal of mine in the future. However, that does require owning books, which requires the spending of money hahah, but spread out over some time, not a big deal :D . I actually really enjoy the smell of books and the experience it creates when I read, just makes it more enjoyable, so you're not alone on that!
That is true. I spend every now and then. I keep track of all my books. So I would know what I have and what I don't. Considering I have 5 big bookshelves and 1 small one, my room is very overcrowded. I own over 2,000 books. More is spread on my floor. lol This is why I need a room for my books soon. Otherwise my bedroom wont be a bedroom. Thank goodness I'm not alone in that. I talk with a lot of different people, especially in my line of work, and for some reason I never really connect with any of them on a deeper level of meaning, even with my friends. I don't really have a "BFF". And with that it makes me feel alone in this feeling. I'm glad I came on here, especially meeting you! You really brighten up my day. I enjoy our chats! Thank you for this.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

bekkirtw wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 23:50 Sorry it took so long to reply. E-ink is the technology that the Kindle uses to make its print easier to read, and to cause less eye strain. It also allows one to read the screen when outdoors in sun. I'm not sure how the technology works, but I'm thankful for it. The noticeable difference with it is that the screen is more matte than other devices, mimicking the texture of a print book. I hope this helps.
Sure does, thank you! Now that you mention it, my mother has an older version of a Kindle and I do remember the e-ink feature being one of her favorite things about it! Too bad that technology can't be applied to all of our screens! Maybe in the near future!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Hatarl1 wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 01:04
Hatarl1 wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 23:58

It is. Lol yes every moment counts! Yes, I probably would. Not to just get books, I would stay and read. I love the atmosphere and being surrounded by so many books makes me feel peace. If I have the money I would get a house that has a section like a library! It would be my own reading room. :D I don’t know if I am the only one that does this but I like the “smell” of books especially new ones and the energy around it. I’m probably weird that way :P
Libraries certainly are peaceful places! I'm with you on that one! A home library is almost a must for avid readers with the room for one...certainly a goal of mine in the future. However, that does require owning books, which requires the spending of money hahah, but spread out over some time, not a big deal :D . I actually really enjoy the smell of books and the experience it creates when I read, just makes it more enjoyable, so you're not alone on that!
That is true. I spend every now and then. I keep track of all my books. So I would know what I have and what I don't. Considering I have 5 big bookshelves and 1 small one, my room is very overcrowded. I own over 2,000 books. More is spread on my floor. lol This is why I need a room for my books soon. Otherwise my bedroom wont be a bedroom. Thank goodness I'm not alone in that. I talk with a lot of different people, especially in my line of work, and for some reason I never really connect with any of them on a deeper level of meaning, even with my friends. I don't really have a "BFF". And with that it makes me feel alone in this feeling. I'm glad I came on here, especially meeting you! You really brighten up my day. I enjoy our chats! Thank you for this.
Thank you so much for the kind words! I love coming on these forums and meeting people with shared interests and seeking out help and just having good conversation! Your collection of books sounds incredibly impressive, but, yes, a little overwhelming as well :lol: ! That is mainly why I stick to the library, hahah :lol2: . Where do you typically buy your books from? Sorry if I asked that already, I have a short memory in these forums, haha, a lot to keep track of :lol2: .
Hatarl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Hatarl1 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 17:04

Thank you so much for the kind words! I love coming on these forums and meeting people with shared interests and seeking out help and just having good conversation! Your collection of books sounds incredibly impressive, but, yes, a little overwhelming as well :lol: ! That is mainly why I stick to the library, hahah :lol2: . Where do you typically buy your books from? Sorry if I asked that already, I have a short memory in these forums, haha, a lot to keep track of :lol2: .
Your welcome! Lol yes it can be, but once I owned them I never sell them, unless I have an extra copy I would sell them on Craigslist or something like that. It’s alright, I can be the same way to especially when talking a lot I end up sometimes repeating myself to lol. The physical books I get from Barnes and nobles and mostly my library sells them too especially for really good deals. I also go to other bookstore places where people give books they don’t want, so it’s used bookstore but that is really far, the closest one is about an hour away so I don’t go there very often. Also when I was in high school I had a friend that worked in a bookstore and they would give out some books for free and he would get some for me. He was so nice and a wonderful friend. I love free books lol.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Hatarl1 wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 01:06

Your welcome! Lol yes it can be, but once I owned them I never sell them, unless I have an extra copy I would sell them on Craigslist or something like that. It’s alright, I can be the same way to especially when talking a lot I end up sometimes repeating myself to lol. The physical books I get from Barnes and nobles and mostly my library sells them too especially for really good deals. I also go to other bookstore places where people give books they don’t want, so it’s used bookstore but that is really far, the closest one is about an hour away so I don’t go there very often. Also when I was in high school I had a friend that worked in a bookstore and they would give out some books for free and he would get some for me. He was so nice and a wonderful friend. I love free books lol.
You can't beat free books! Hence, my reason why I go to the library! Sounds like you are very resourceful when it comes to getting books, something I've noticed when talking with many people in these forums. What do you enjoy reading the most (genre, author, etc.)? What are you currently reading? Again, sorry if I asked those questions before :lol2: !
Nkoyo25

Post by Nkoyo25 »

I have a particular time i set out each day to read. I can finish reading two books a week depending on the volume of the book. So basically, three or four books a month. :D. I'm just addicted to books!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Nkoyo25 wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 04:22 I have a particular time i set out each day to read. I can finish reading two books a week depending on the volume of the book. So basically, three or four books a month. :D. I'm just addicted to books!
I'm with you there, I too love to read! What do you enjoy reading the most (genre, author, etc.)? I'm always curious to find out what others like to read!
jennawash
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by jennawash »

I am a busy mom of 6 crazy kids and a foster mom to 6 nutty dogs. I force myself to read before bed 30 minutes a day. I read in carpool or at doctor appointments. This pressure for time leaves me feeling so far behind in my reading. Especially now that I am a member of Onlinebookclub. I get excited everyday to download a new book. I used to read several books at a time, but now I only allow myself one at a time. I have almost 100 books on my "Want To Read" list and cant wait to get to them.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

jennawash wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 13:54 I am a busy mom of 6 crazy kids and a foster mom to 6 nutty dogs. I force myself to read before bed 30 minutes a day. I read in carpool or at doctor appointments. This pressure for time leaves me feeling so far behind in my reading. Especially now that I am a member of Onlinebookclub. I get excited everyday to download a new book. I used to read several books at a time, but now I only allow myself one at a time. I have almost 100 books on my "Want To Read" list and cant wait to get to them.
Wow, I cannot imagine the amount of time that goes into all of your responsibilities...but I'm sure you handle them all will grace :D . Even reading 30 minutes a day, based on a very interesting statistic I heard recently, results in reading roughly 30 books per year! So you may end up reading more than you thought! What do you like to read most (author, genre, etc.)?
Hatarl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Hatarl1 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 14:34

You can't beat free books! Hence, my reason why I go to the library! Sounds like you are very resourceful when it comes to getting books, something I've noticed when talking with many people in these forums. What do you enjoy reading the most (genre, author, etc.)? What are you currently reading? Again, sorry if I asked those questions before :lol2: !
Lol, yes, I try to be as resourceful as I can. It definitely helps with the budget. I mostly read romance, YA, and Supernatural romance. In general, I don't do favorites, but with authors, I love Nora Roberts and Gena Showalter. What about you?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Hatarl1 wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 20:43
ianbuchanan wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 14:34

Lol, yes, I try to be as resourceful as I can. It definitely helps with the budget. I mostly read romance, YA, and Supernatural romance. In general, I don't do favorites, but with authors, I love Nora Roberts and Gena Showalter. What about you?
Very cool! I mostly read developmental books, I love to learn about business and read how successful people navigated their way to success through the good and bad times. I also am growing very interested in psychological books...how people make decisions and what people's core motivators are, those topics really interest me as well!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I read for pleasure, but still keep a reading goal and update it timely, so that I can keep track. So far I have read 21 books this year, so that makes it about 5 books per month. Also, there were two or three which I read a bit but then had to put down. What keep me from reading faster are work and sleep, mainly! Sometimes if I don't find the book interesting but still feel that I have to finish it, that takes me longer to read. I generally meet my reading goals (which I keep a tad low, though) and then read a few more. Since I download a lot of free books from different sites, and also get free kindle books from BOTD, shortage of books is not usually a problem for me. But sometimes finding the mood or the peace of mind I need to read a book gets difficult.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Aryastark wrote: 05 May 2018, 02:33 I read for pleasure, but still keep a reading goal and update it timely, so that I can keep track. So far I have read 21 books this year, so that makes it about 5 books per month. Also, there were two or three which I read a bit but then had to put down. What keep me from reading faster are work and sleep, mainly! Sometimes if I don't find the book interesting but still feel that I have to finish it, that takes me longer to read. I generally meet my reading goals (which I keep a tad low, though) and then read a few more. Since I download a lot of free books from different sites, and also get free kindle books from BOTD, shortage of books is not usually a problem for me. But sometimes finding the mood or the peace of mind I need to read a book gets difficult.
Well it definitely seems like you are reading at a very steady pace! Haha, I can relate to the sleep part, as I do most of my reading before bed and sometimes struggle to keep my eyes open after a while. Where do you primarily find these free books? Also, I'm unfamiliar with BOTD...could you explain what that is? I'll always have my ears open when I hear free books! :techie-studyinggray:
Shrabastee Chakraborty

ianbuchanan wrote: 05 May 2018, 09:04
Aryastark wrote: 05 May 2018, 02:33 I read for pleasure, but still keep a reading goal and update it timely, so that I can keep track. So far I have read 21 books this year, so that makes it about 5 books per month. Also, there were two or three which I read a bit but then had to put down. What keep me from reading faster are work and sleep, mainly! Sometimes if I don't find the book interesting but still feel that I have to finish it, that takes me longer to read. I generally meet my reading goals (which I keep a tad low, though) and then read a few more. Since I download a lot of free books from different sites, and also get free kindle books from BOTD, shortage of books is not usually a problem for me. But sometimes finding the mood or the peace of mind I need to read a book gets difficult.
Well it definitely seems like you are reading at a very steady pace! Haha, I can relate to the sleep part, as I do most of my reading before bed and sometimes struggle to keep my eyes open after a while. Where do you primarily find these free books? Also, I'm unfamiliar with BOTD...could you explain what that is? I'll always have my ears open when I hear free books! :techie-studyinggray:
By BOTD I meant this Book of the Day feature of Online Book Club. It has already given me enough books to last two/three months (provided I am reading only BOTD books and nothing else).
You can just google a specific book name. Add the format (like pdf or epub) and the words 'free download'. Different sites are there for downloading the ebooks. I am giving two examples here - one is Gutenberg.org where I have found mainly classics, and a very recent one is oceansofpdf.com. Probably you are familiar with them. There are many such sites. Some readers here recommended 'bookbub', though I have yet to try that for myself!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Aryastark wrote: 05 May 2018, 10:28
ianbuchanan wrote: 05 May 2018, 09:04
By BOTD I meant this Book of the Day feature of Online Book Club. It has already given me enough books to last two/three months (provided I am reading only BOTD books and nothing else).
You can just google a specific book name. Add the format (like pdf or epub) and the words 'free download'. Different sites are there for downloading the ebooks. I am giving two examples here - one is Gutenberg.org where I have found mainly classics, and a very recent one is OceanofPDF.com. Probably you are familiar with them. There are many such sites. Some readers here recommended 'bookbub', though I have yet to try that for myself!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”