How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Are you meeting your reading goals?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 124

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Post by ianbuchanan »

Hatarl1 wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 16:51 I love to read whenever I can which is almost all the time. It also depends if I am busy or not. I typically read about 3 to 4 books a week but if I am super busy then 1 or 2 books a week. I put in the books I read last year in goodreads and they have a goal reading. I went past my goal. Apparently I read around 150 books a year averagely. It’s a good way to keep track of what I have read and what I want to read.
Incredibly impressive! Keeping track is also definitely a good idea! I have to ask, where do you get your books in such rapid succession? Do you order/buy a lot at once and then repeat when you run out? Thanks for sharing!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ayoomisope wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 17:51 Since I started on OBC I've been doing at least one book a week. I've actually surpassed my reading goals. I guess selecting a book that interests one matters a lot.
I've been asking this question a lot of those that are indeed meeting and surpassing their reading goals...what advice would you give to those that may be struggling to stay focused and committed to meeting their reading goals?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Kayleigh Brookes wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 21:49 Honestly, I'm trying really hard to read more than one book a month. My goal is to read at least four!
I'm curious, what's holding you back from reading those 4 books per month? Just life and its busy nature or something else?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Gravy wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 06:00
ianbuchanan wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 16:14
Gravy wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 03:52

Just a normal reading funk. Happens now and then. I'm switching up my reading to push through it (put my current books on hold, and pick up something new, in this case, Macbeth), but it slows my progress for awhile.
Yeah, I can definitely relate. Some books just don't "click". Are you currently reading anything outside of Macbeth?
Yes, 4 others.

Hyperspace by Michio Kaku
The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
And a reread of the 4th Harry Potter

All of which have clicked, except perhaps The Gargoyle, though I'm determined to give it a good try.
I wish I could blame my books, but it's likely just my brain telling me I need a break. :lol:
Thanks for sharing! I'll keep those in mind! What's been your favorite so far?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

gregs317 wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 10:35 Just one at the moment, 'Lily and the Octopus' by Steven Rowley.
How is that? How often do you read each day? Is it as much as you'd like? Thanks for sharing!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

kfwilson6 wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 18:14 I typically can finish about 2 books in a week. Some nights after dinner I will spend a couple of hours reading and so it takes me about 3 evenings to finish a book. I really love to read so I will take any opportunity to multi-task. When I do my elliptical workouts, I have my Kindle in front of me. Sometimes when I'm eating lunch at work, I read on my phone. For some reason I find that when I read an e-book, I read more quickly and I enjoy them just as much so I tend to stick with them about 90% of the time. I also read to unwind before bed. Even if I only read for 30 minutes before bed (if that is not what I spent my evening doing), it will keep me interested in the book and make me want to keep moving forward the next day. Once I set a book down for 2-3 days, I lose interest and it's hard to get back into it. As long as I continuously read, I just devour books.
Some books are just great at keeping us engaged and coming back for more, aren't they! I haven't tried out e-readers or e-books yet but I've been hearing good things! What do you like about them most? Also, do you think that e-readers and e-books are bound to replace print books in the near future? I know technology drives change and can do so very quickly, but print books have been around forever!
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month

Post by gregs317 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 01:09
gregs317 wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 10:35 Just one at the moment, 'Lily and the Octopus' by Steven Rowley.
How is that? How often do you read each day? Is it as much as you'd like? Thanks for sharing!
It's going ok, so far - although I've only finished chapter 1. This book is a little odd - I mean the man is having a conversation with the dog, literally! And the dog is answering him, so there's that.

I don't know if you've read any previews, but the dog is terminally ill which is sad but it's a unique story. I' m not entirely sure if I will finish this book, but we'll see.
gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

gregs317 wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 09:02
It's going ok, so far - although I've only finished chapter 1. This book is a little odd - I mean the man is having a conversation with the dog, literally! And the dog is answering him, so there's that.

I don't know if you've read any previews, but the dog is terminally ill which is sad but it's a unique story. I' m not entirely sure if I will finish this book, but we'll see.
I generally read every evening and at bedtime, and sometimes in the afternoon. How about you?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

gregs317 wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 09:05

I generally read every evening and at bedtime, and sometimes in the afternoon. How about you?
Haha, interesting indeed :lol: . Sounds interesting though! Now did you rent that book? Or buy it expecting that if you don't finish it now you might later? I generally read in the evening and before bed, but generally whenever my schedule allows!
gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 21:19

Haha, interesting indeed :lol: . Sounds interesting though! Now did you rent that book? Or buy it expecting that if you don't finish it now you might later? I generally read in the evening and before bed, but generally whenever my schedule allows!
I bought the book. I may put it aside for a while. Since I have another book arriving in a few days, and I know that the next book will be of great interest to me.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 01:12

Some books are just great at keeping us engaged and coming back for more, aren't they! I haven't tried out e-readers or e-books yet but I've been hearing good things! What do you like about them most? Also, do you think that e-readers and e-books are bound to replace print books in the near future? I know technology drives change and can do so very quickly, but print books have been around forever!
I love the convenience of e-books. If I go out of town for a week I need at least 3 books. That can get bulky. My kindle is so slim and easy to carry. I also have an android cellphone so my kindle and phone use the same charger. It's just an added point of convenience. I also don't always know what I want to read next so I'll peruse the library's ebooks and I can borrow them instantly. I don't have to try to make it to the library before they close. Also, I can own thousands of books without them taking up any space in my house.

I think the trend toward ebooks will be most evident when bookstores start closing. I think ebooks will eventually be the primary format and printed copies will be limited to used bookstores and online retailing.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

gregs317 wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 22:16

I bought the book. I may put it aside for a while. Since I have another book arriving in a few days, and I know that the next book will be of great interest to me.
I see, well glad to hear something a little more interesting is coming your way! Do you typically buy your books? Do you find the prices at all restrictive? I personally rent from libraries for the sole purpose of saving some money and it has been worthwhile for me up to this point.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

kfwilson6 wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 14:58
ianbuchanan wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 01:12

I love the convenience of e-books. If I go out of town for a week I need at least 3 books. That can get bulky. My kindle is so slim and easy to carry. I also have an android cellphone so my kindle and phone use the same charger. It's just an added point of convenience. I also don't always know what I want to read next so I'll peruse the library's ebooks and I can borrow them instantly. I don't have to try to make it to the library before they close. Also, I can own thousands of books without them taking up any space in my house.

I think the trend toward ebooks will be most evident when bookstores start closing. I think ebooks will eventually be the primary format and printed copies will be limited to used bookstores and online retailing.
Thanks for outlining all of the benefits you realize with e-readers and e-books. I will definitely be considering them in the future, especially for purposes of traveling! I'm a big user of libraries currently, and I think it's awesome that they carry e-books, but I have trouble envisioning them without print books! For some reason or reasons, I don't think people are letting go of print books as quickly as the technology companies, or society, thought.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

ianbuchanan wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 16:07
gali wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 01:23
ianbuchanan wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 01:04 I agree 100%! It starts with the youth! And your ideas seem easy to implement and effective.

I have not yet really explored the world of e-books and e-readers but some of its benefits are undeniable...no problems getting the book you want and not having to go anywhere to get the books, exactly what you had said. Do you prefer e-books to print books in general? I am on the fence, thinking about getting an e-reader for the benefits mentioned; however, I had always thought that it would be a bit of a strain on the eyes (I don't have the best eyes, haha) and possibly more distracting than print books, being that they are typically connected to the internet, which can always be a temptation. Have you had any experience with these concerns? Also, do you know how the cost of e-books compares to the prices of print books? Thanks so much for the insight, it's all so helpful!
I love both formats, but since I got my kindle, I read mostly ebooks and love it!

You confuse e-readers with tablets. You can't surf with e-readers, they are just for reading, so there is no distraction. They don't stain the eyes at all, Kindle uses special ink to create crisp text which doesn't stain the eye, so it reads like a real paper. You can customize the font and adjust your text size, which is good for tired eyes. Usually ebooks are cheaper than paper books and there are some free ebooks you can buy. Some libraries even let you borrow ebooks.
I see! Thanks for clearing up some of my misconceptions. Within your circles do think the future of reading lies within these e-readers? I definitely am aware of their increased popularity and added benefits, but haven't seen them take over the majority of the reading population yet. Nevertheless, technology always drives change and book reading is certainly subject to change.
More and more of my friends are starting to read ebooks now. I read ebooks for convenience sake, as ebooks are more accessible to me. Still, I read paper books as well. I don't think ebooks will ever replace "real" books, but one can never know.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 21:56
gregs317 wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 22:16

I see, well glad to hear something a little more interesting is coming your way! Do you typically buy your books? Do you find the prices at all restrictive? I personally rent from libraries for the sole purpose of saving some money and it has been worthwhile for me up to this point.
Firstly, I don't spend a lot of time at libraries, with the exception of dropping off books to be donated or occasionally borrowing their printer, since I don't own one.

Secondly, I don't like the idea of renting books due to time constraints. I strongly prefer to buy my own copy.

Finally, I enjoy shopping at Amazon - and they frequently use third-party sellers allowing big discounts. Many times I can buy a used/like new or used/very good copy at substantial savings.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”