How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Are you meeting your reading goals?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 124

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jesscar6 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 02:01
ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:38
Jesscar6 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 06:21

Yeah it is. I got the 5 books in 1. Up to book 5 and taking a break from it at the moment.
How have you enjoyed them? I love the TV series and have always considered reading the books in the back of my mind!

I am enjoying them. I read them after watching the show which Im glad I did. There are lots of smaller details in the books and a few differences in the plot (not too many though in my opinion).
Yeah, that's what I've heard...a friend of mine read the books and has noticed plot differences as well, but that has to be expected. Doesn't George RR Martin have more to finish? I heard some worrisome thoughts that he may not quite finish :o
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

BeatrixPotter wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 11:45
ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:41
BeatrixPotter wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 12:17 I probably average about four per month. I'm an eclectic reader. That being said, I am currently reading five, but some more regularly than others. I always read a bit in the morning and before I go to sleep at night.
Awesome, thanks for sharing! What do you enjoy reading the most (genre, author, etc.)?
Hmm, hard to say. I mostly read what interests me. At the moment four are nonfiction, and one Christian fiction. Poetry ranks pretty high. I also like historical fiction, biography and mystery/suspense.

What about you?
Awesome, you definitely seem to be an ecclectic reader! What are you currently reading and how are you enjoying it/them? How do you feed your passion for reading? Buying online/in-store, library, borrowing, etc.? I personally love my local library, plus the fact that I can read for free!

I love to read nonfiction from successful business leaders and the like because I have always wanted to start my own business and I figure that there is no better way to learn than from those that have already done what I want to do!
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 17:52
ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:38

How have you enjoyed them? I love the TV series and have always considered reading the books in the back of my mind!

I am enjoying them. I read them after watching the show which Im glad I did. There are lots of smaller details in the books and a few differences in the plot (not too many though in my opinion).
Yeah, that's what I've heard...a friend of mine read the books and has noticed plot differences as well, but that has to be expected. Doesn't George RR Martin have more to finish? I heard some worrisome thoughts that he may not quite finish :o

Yea still 2 I think left to come out. He is writing them quite slow aha
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Currently I'm reading at least 10 books a week since I have a lot of time on my hands
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Currently I'm reading at least 10 books a week since I have a lot of time on my hands
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jesscar6 wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 01:46
ianbuchanan wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 17:52

Yea still 2 I think left to come out. He is writing them quite slow aha
Right, that's what I've been hearing. Maybe he's just enjoy the fruit of his labors! Can't really blame him if that's the case :lol2:
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Eileen R wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 06:50 Currently I'm reading at least 10 books a week since I have a lot of time on my hands
Wow, incredibly impressive! Thanks for sharing! What do you enjoy reading the most (genre, author, etc.)? Also...I have to ask, how do you feed your avid reading hobby? I'd imagine it could get a little costly to buy 10 books per week :lol2: . Do you visit a local library at all to get your books or maybe buy from cheap online sellers?
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BeatrixPotter »

ianbuchanan wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 17:55
ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:41

Awesome, thanks for sharing! What do you enjoy reading the most (genre, author, etc.)?
Hmm, hard to say. I mostly read what interests me. At the moment four are nonfiction, and one Christian fiction. Poetry ranks pretty high. I also like historical fiction, biography and mystery/suspense.

What about you?
Awesome, you definitely seem to be an ecclectic reader! What are you currently reading and how are you enjoying it/them? How do you feed your passion for reading? Buying online/in-store, library, borrowing, etc.? I personally love my local library, plus the fact that I can read for free!

I love to read nonfiction from successful business leaders and the like because I have always wanted to start my own business and I figure that there is no better way to learn than from those that have already done what I want to do!
I'm reading four nonfiction books that are mostly for learning. One of them is a professional book on marketing with LinkedIn. I also have a business and try to improve my skills for that. The other ones are on interests of mine, current events, and history. The fiction is for fun!

I'm a library fan too, and get a lot of books from the library, some I buy online, either kindle or conventional (usually used) copies. I prefer reading a book to kindle though.
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak
Hatarl1
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatarl1.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Hatarl1 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 20:01
Hatarl1 wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 11:15
ianbuchanan wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 16:16

Hahah, I see what you mean! Yeah, I almost exclusively go to libraries to get the books I want, unless there is a book that I'll want to keep long-term, then I'll buy it (for the cheapest price I can find :lol2: ). Do you live close by to your local library? I know, for me, I live some time away, and it hasn't impacted my reading habits as of yet, but it's an obstacle that in an ideal world would be avoided...
Yes that is how it is for me. I live about a 15 minutes drive away. So it’s not that far. If I don’t have time to keep going to library and search for the books I want, I usually go to their sites and look what they have. Once I find the books I want I place a hold on them. I get about 10 books which last me 3 to 4 weeks. So I don’t have to go back and forth every day or week. It’s easier that way. At my library I can keep books for 3 weeks so if I still have them, I renew it online so I can have another 3 weeks.
Sounds like the best way to go about it. It's always smart to minimize time spent traveling. Our time is precious, right! Do you think you would go to the library more often if you lived closer? Seems like you have a pretty good system worked out to efficiently get your books.
It is. Lol yes every moment counts! Yes, I probably would. Not to just get books, I would stay and read. I love the atmosphere and being surrounded by so many books makes me feel peace. If I have the money I would get a house that has a section like a library! It would be my own reading room. :D I don’t know if I am the only one that does this but I like the “smell” of books especially new ones and the energy around it. I’m probably weird that way :P
Tallender82

Post by Tallender82 »

I read about 5 or more books a week. I have the kindle app on my phone so I am able to read no matter where I am. Reading is my passion :D
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

BeatrixPotter wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 17:58

What about you?

I'm reading four nonfiction books that are mostly for learning. One of them is a professional book on marketing with LinkedIn. I also have a business and try to improve my skills for that. The other ones are on interests of mine, current events, and history. The fiction is for fun!

I'm a library fan too, and get a lot of books from the library, some I buy online, either kindle or conventional (usually used) copies. I prefer reading a book to kindle though.
Very interesting! Where do you usually get your physical books from (online, shops/stores, library, etc.)? I personally love visiting my local library, the selection is great and it's free of course. What is it that your business does? It's always great to meet and talk to a self-starter!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Hatarl1 wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 23:58
ianbuchanan wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 20:01
Hatarl1 wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 11:15

Yes that is how it is for me. I live about a 15 minutes drive away. So it’s not that far. If I don’t have time to keep going to library and search for the books I want, I usually go to their sites and look what they have. Once I find the books I want I place a hold on them. I get about 10 books which last me 3 to 4 weeks. So I don’t have to go back and forth every day or week. It’s easier that way. At my library I can keep books for 3 weeks so if I still have them, I renew it online so I can have another 3 weeks.
Sounds like the best way to go about it. It's always smart to minimize time spent traveling. Our time is precious, right! Do you think you would go to the library more often if you lived closer? Seems like you have a pretty good system worked out to efficiently get your books.
It is. Lol yes every moment counts! Yes, I probably would. Not to just get books, I would stay and read. I love the atmosphere and being surrounded by so many books makes me feel peace. If I have the money I would get a house that has a section like a library! It would be my own reading room. :D I don’t know if I am the only one that does this but I like the “smell” of books especially new ones and the energy around it. I’m probably weird that way :P
Libraries certainly are peaceful places! I'm with you on that one! A home library is almost a must for avid readers with the room for one...certainly a goal of mine in the future. However, that does require owning books, which requires the spending of money hahah, but spread out over some time, not a big deal :D . I actually really enjoy the smell of books and the experience it creates when I read, just makes it more enjoyable, so you're not alone on that!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Tallender82 wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 00:25 I read about 5 or more books a week. I have the kindle app on my phone so I am able to read no matter where I am. Reading is my passion :D
That's awesome! And impressive! What do you enjoy reading (genre, author, etc.)? Also, how do you like your Kindle? I've yet to get into ebooks, as I've always preferred the hard physical copy of a book, but some of the benefits seem great in our increasingly mobile lives.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ianbuchanan wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 19:53
BeatrixPotter wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 17:58

Very interesting! Where do you usually get your physical books from (online, shops/stores, library, etc.)? I personally love visiting my local library, the selection is great and it's free of course. What is it that your business does? It's always great to meet and talk to a self-starter!
I realize I got a little repetitive with that first question there, sometimes I just forget the prior parts of some of these forum discussions, my apologies! So you can just ignore that first question above haha :lol2: I'd love to hear more about your business though!
bekkirtw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bekkirtw.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bekkirtw »

Sorry it took so long to reply. E-ink is the technology that the Kindle uses to make its print easier to read, and to cause less eye strain. It also allows one to read the screen when outdoors in sun. I'm not sure how the technology works, but I'm thankful for it. The noticeable difference with it is that the screen is more matte than other devices, mimicking the texture of a print book. I hope this helps.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”