How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Are you meeting your reading goals?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 124

bekkirtw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bekkirtw.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Post by bekkirtw »

If I'm reading for enjoyment, I average about a book a day. I used to read faster than that, but have slowed a bit with age. When I read for a review, I actually read the book twice: once as a reader, once as a reviewer. This gives me the opportunity to experience the book like a customer would, then to take a detailed look at the editorial style and editing. I find that I am given plenty of time to read this way, and I love to read for the joy of reading.
Irismarie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Irismarie »

I have not really given myself a monthly reading goal but I have finished about 6 books in the past few weeks. I am a TEFL teacher most recently posted in Vietnam and the hours I kept allowed me the time to read a alot. My mother had a stroke so I came back to the US and have been afforded a bit of time to read while she recuperates. I say all of that because I know my situation may be a bit unique. Work hours and children can reak havoc on available hours for reading.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

How much reading I do depends entirely on what other things I have going on that require my time/attention. Ideally, I shoot for two books a month. More recently, though, it's been more like 6 (I've had more time to devote to it)
Kelaine
Currently Reading: The Left Hand of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelaine.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Kelaine »

I've generally got two books on the go at a time - a physical book for my Book Club and a digital book (usually read on my phone) just because it's super handy to be able to carry around all the time! While I aim to read about 3 books a month, that doesn't happen as often as I'd like. There are so many other things to do and so many other things going on. I get to feeling irresponsible or anti-social if I pass up on walking the dogs, or meeting friends for game nights, etc.
It would probably also help if I read shorter books... but if it's a really great book, I never want it to end!
Sparkkles7

Post by Sparkkles7 »

I go through spurts with reading, because when I really get into a book I enjoy, it can consume all my time until it's done. I will eat less, clean less and sleep less, just so I have extra reading time.

I usually read two books at a time, one on my e-reader, and one paper copy. I like to mix up something I'm interested along with something educational or informative.
Tkander
Favorite Author: Heather Blake
Currently Reading: You Can Lead a Horse to Murder
Bookshelf Size: 2322
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 15627

Post by Tkander »

I've read 50 books so far this year, and am currently 4 books behind if I hope to reach my goal of 250 books for this year. I have been having eye issues this year, resulting in a week or more of no reading, which is what put me behind.
WorldsOkayest_CatMom
Currently Reading: This is just my face
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by WorldsOkayest_CatMom »

My monthly goal is 3 books, and so far this year I am ahead of schedule! Since January 1, 2018, I've completed 12 books (putting me at 5 ahead of schedule). Currently, I'm reading 3 more books.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

ianbuchanan wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:08
Jeyasivananth wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 07:31
ianbuchanan wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 19:24

Thanks for sharing! What do you typically like to read?
I personally love reading historical fiction, magical realism and fantasy book.
Awesome! What are you currently reading?
I am currently reading Superhighway which is a science fiction :techie-reference:
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 16:56
ianbuchanan wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:08
Jeyasivananth wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 07:31

I personally love reading historical fiction, magical realism and fantasy book.
Awesome! What are you currently reading?
I am currently reading Superhighway which is a science fiction :techie-reference:
Cool! Where'd you get it? Is it on Amazon?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Kelaine wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 11:11 I've generally got two books on the go at a time - a physical book for my Book Club and a digital book (usually read on my phone) just because it's super handy to be able to carry around all the time! While I aim to read about 3 books a month, that doesn't happen as often as I'd like. There are so many other things to do and so many other things going on. I get to feeling irresponsible or anti-social if I pass up on walking the dogs, or meeting friends for game nights, etc.
It would probably also help if I read shorter books... but if it's a really great book, I never want it to end!
Awesome, thanks for sharing! I personally have always preferred physical books to e-books and the like, which do you prefer? I'm begin to notice, through this forum, that there are many benefits to e-readers/e-books!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

SABRADLEY wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 11:03 How much reading I do depends entirely on what other things I have going on that require my time/attention. Ideally, I shoot for two books a month. More recently, though, it's been more like 6 (I've had more time to devote to it)
I totally can relate! Life can get busy at times and slow at times and reading can take a backseat. What types of books do you find yourself most interested in (genre, author, etc.)?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Irismarie wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 09:32 I have not really given myself a monthly reading goal but I have finished about 6 books in the past few weeks. I am a TEFL teacher most recently posted in Vietnam and the hours I kept allowed me the time to read a alot. My mother had a stroke so I came back to the US and have been afforded a bit of time to read while she recuperates. I say all of that because I know my situation may be a bit unique. Work hours and children can reak havoc on available hours for reading.
Thanks for sharing, sorry to hear about your mother, hopefully she is recuperating nicely. Just curious...how did you get your books while in Vietnam? I'm sure I'll sound naive, but do they have a well-sourced library system in their towns/cities and/or book shops? Also, what do you like to read most (genre, author, etc.)?!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

bekkirtw wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 19:31 If I'm reading for enjoyment, I average about a book a day. I used to read faster than that, but have slowed a bit with age. When I read for a review, I actually read the book twice: once as a reader, once as a reviewer. This gives me the opportunity to experience the book like a customer would, then to take a detailed look at the editorial style and editing. I find that I am given plenty of time to read this way, and I love to read for the joy of reading.
Thanks for sharing! A book a day, wow! What do you like to read most (genre, author, etc.)? I'm always on the hunt for great book recommendations!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

P0tt3ry wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:50
ianbuchanan wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:06
P0tt3ry wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 22:13 Well, this site helps with free and discounted books. I visit my local library often, spend more on books than I should, have Kindle Unlimited, and a number of friends who are also bookworms. I swap books with my kids. The man I use to share an art studio with is a graphic novelist and underground cartoonist so he's a good source too. Also, I'm not afraid to reread a favorite. Professional books are pretty dense and the information changes as laws and principles are updated. An increasing number of archives are making art books available online. From where I am sitting right now there are two filled bookshelves and one small stack on the floor. Rereading this, I may have a problem.
Sounds like you're very resourceful when it comes to your book obtaining habits. Oh you have no problem at all! Reading brings the reader boundless benefits! More the better! Typically, via what method do you obtain your books (i.e. buy, rent, swap, etc.)? Just curious as to how others are sourcing their reading material.
All of the above, I consider Kindle Unlimited renting. I borrow from the library and buy from yard sales and thrift shops. Most professional books are required for classes and sources like http://www.getty.edu/publications/virtuallibrary/ are great ways to access digital books. Books I want to read again and again are purchased in hardback and paperback when possible. Readers always find a way. :techie-reference:
Agreed! Readers do always find a way! We're quite resourceful. Where do you tend to find the greatest selection? Do you ever have trouble finding what you want at, say, yard sales, thrift shops, or libraries?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

krithikagowri wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 15:26 My numbers vary. Some times I finish more than 5 books in a month and sometimes 1. But at least read minimum of 1 book per month.
Awesome, thanks for sharing! What do you like to read most (genre, author, etc.)?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”