How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Are you meeting your reading goals?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 124

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Post by ianbuchanan »

Hi all,

I know we all love to read, that's why we're here! But meeting our reading goals isn't always easy, at least not for me. I'm curious as to how much (as in how many books, minutes per day, etc.) you all are reading each month? How much would you ideally read in a given month? If the answer to these two questions is the same, do you have any tips for meeting your reading goals? But, if you're not meeting your reading goals, what is getting in your way? I know, for me, a lack of time always seems to be the issue. Also, books can get pretty pricey!

Thanks for the insight and advice everyone!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I don't really calculate it, but I try to finish upwards of four books a month. Unfortunately, I have fallen behind of late. :?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

I try for at least a book a week, accounting for getting busy with life or picking up a particularly dense book. I always have two going: a physical "couch read" book and a kindle "in bed can't sleep" book. This means I usually more than double my intended reading goals since the kindle books are usually some freebie I can devour in 4/5 hrs, which with insomnia is about 2 nights. Books definitely get expensive! Have you signed up to bookbub? You get daily emails about free/discounted ebooks, usually a list of about 10.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I read between one to two books per week, depending on my time and the length of the books. I read for pleasure, so I don't calculate it either. I don't watch TV, so I have more time to read.

There is always the library, not to mention the free BOTDs.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Gravy wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 23:37 I don't really calculate it, but I try to finish upwards of four books a month. Unfortunately, I have fallen behind of late. :?
Impressive! And, if you don't mind me asking, what is it that is making you fall behind?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

JodyVamp wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 00:00 I try for at least a book a week, accounting for getting busy with life or picking up a particularly dense book. I always have two going: a physical "couch read" book and a kindle "in bed can't sleep" book. This means I usually more than double my intended reading goals since the kindle books are usually some freebie I can devour in 4/5 hrs, which with insomnia is about 2 nights. Books definitely get expensive! Have you signed up to bookbub? You get daily emails about free/discounted ebooks, usually a list of about 10.
I also have been trying for about a book a week, and yes, the same obstacles such as busyness and book length can alter that goal from time to time. It's interesting that you bring up e-readers/e-books. Most people, from what I've noticed, tend to choose one medium, whether it be digital (e-reader) or print, for their reading. Is there a particular reason, outside of having access to free books that draws you to e-readers? I always have considered getting one myself, but there's something about holding a book and turning the pages that will never get old to me! But, with an e-reader, I could look into and use bookhub, which seems awesome! What medium do you tend to prefer (ebook vs. print)?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

gali wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 01:45 I read between one to two books per week, depending on my time and the length of the books. I read for pleasure, so I don't calculate it either. I don't watch TV, so I have more time to read.

Thanks for the response! TV is such a strong force in our daily lives, especially in our down time, yet reading is clearly a more mind-stimulating activity, and oftentimes equally, if not more enjoyable than passively watching TV. It's frustrating to see people spend each and every hour of downtime in front of a television, leading me to wonder how to sway them to pick up a book instead, even if for a bit. I'm curious to know what your "sales pitch" to these avid TV watchers would be...how would you attempt to sway them? I ask because I think this is a problem that is extending into younger generations at rapid rates, but the tide can be reversed!
gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

Hi, I'm only reading one book currently, but I have 2 more books on the way from Amazon.
gali

Post by gali »

ianbuchanan wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 00:29
gali wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 01:45 I read between one to two books per week, depending on my time and the length of the books. I read for pleasure, so I don't calculate it either. I don't watch TV, so I have more time to read.

Thanks for the response! TV is such a strong force in our daily lives, especially in our down time, yet reading is clearly a more mind-stimulating activity, and oftentimes equally, if not more enjoyable than passively watching TV. It's frustrating to see people spend each and every hour of downtime in front of a television, leading me to wonder how to sway them to pick up a book instead, even if for a bit. I'm curious to know what your "sales pitch" to these avid TV watchers would be...how would you attempt to sway them? I ask because I think this is a problem that is extending into younger generations at rapid rates, but the tide can be reversed!
I don't think we can influence those adults since they are already set in their ways, but we can influence kids by personal example and reading to them from early age. Schools can encourage reading as well by allowing a few minutes to read before the start of the lessons.

I forgot to add that since I got a kindle a few years ago, I zigzag between paper book and ebooks. I love my kindle and find ebooks are easier to obtain. And you don't need to leave home to get them...
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

I agree 100%! It starts with the youth! And your ideas seem easy to implement and effective.

I have not yet really explored the world of e-books and e-readers but some of its benefits are undeniable...no problems getting the book you want and not having to go anywhere to get the books, exactly what you had said. Do you prefer e-books to print books in general? I am on the fence, thinking about getting an e-reader for the benefits mentioned; however, I had always thought that it would be a bit of a strain on the eyes (I don't have the best eyes, haha) and possibly more distracting than print books, being that they are typically connected to the internet, which can always be a temptation. Have you had any experience with these concerns? Also, do you know how the cost of e-books compares to the prices of print books? Thanks so much for the insight, it's all so helpful!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

gregs317 wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 00:36 Hi, I'm only reading one book currently, but I have 2 more books on the way from Amazon.
Do you typically get your books from Amazon? I know the prices are hard to beat!
gali

Post by gali »

ianbuchanan wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 01:04 I agree 100%! It starts with the youth! And your ideas seem easy to implement and effective.

I have not yet really explored the world of e-books and e-readers but some of its benefits are undeniable...no problems getting the book you want and not having to go anywhere to get the books, exactly what you had said. Do you prefer e-books to print books in general? I am on the fence, thinking about getting an e-reader for the benefits mentioned; however, I had always thought that it would be a bit of a strain on the eyes (I don't have the best eyes, haha) and possibly more distracting than print books, being that they are typically connected to the internet, which can always be a temptation. Have you had any experience with these concerns? Also, do you know how the cost of e-books compares to the prices of print books? Thanks so much for the insight, it's all so helpful!
I love both formats, but since I got my kindle, I read mostly ebooks and love it!

You confuse e-readers with tablets. You can't surf with e-readers, they are just for reading, so there is no distraction. They don't stain the eyes at all, Kindle uses special ink to create crisp text which doesn't stain the eye, so it reads like a real paper. You can customize the font and adjust your text size, which is good for tired eyes. Usually ebooks are cheaper than paper books and there are some free ebooks you can buy. Some libraries even let you borrow ebooks.
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ianbuchanan wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 00:10
Gravy wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 23:37 I don't really calculate it, but I try to finish upwards of four books a month. Unfortunately, I have fallen behind of late. :?
Impressive! And, if you don't mind me asking, what is it that is making you fall behind?
Just a normal reading funk. Happens now and then. I'm switching up my reading to push through it (put my current books on hold, and pick up something new, in this case, Macbeth), but it slows my progress for awhile.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I seem to be falling behind on my reading goals so far this year. I am a writer/editor who has her own business and this has been taking up so much time that while I do read manuscripts etc. that I'm working on, my pleasure reading and extra books goal is suffering. I need to better manage time for this!
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

ianbuchanan wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 00:19
JodyVamp wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 00:00 I try for at least a book a week, accounting for getting busy with life or picking up a particularly dense book. I always have two going: a physical "couch read" book and a kindle "in bed can't sleep" book. This means I usually more than double my intended reading goals since the kindle books are usually some freebie I can devour in 4/5 hrs, which with insomnia is about 2 nights. Books definitely get expensive! Have you signed up to bookbub? You get daily emails about free/discounted ebooks, usually a list of about 10.
I also have been trying for about a book a week, and yes, the same obstacles such as busyness and book length can alter that goal from time to time. It's interesting that you bring up e-readers/e-books. Most people, from what I've noticed, tend to choose one medium, whether it be digital (e-reader) or print, for their reading. Is there a particular reason, outside of having access to free books that draws you to e-readers? I always have considered getting one myself, but there's something about holding a book and turning the pages that will never get old to me! But, with an e-reader, I could look into and use bookhub, which seems awesome! What medium do you tend to prefer (ebook vs. print)?
I prefer physical books. There's just something satisfying about curling up and turning pages or being able to scan your whole collection on the shelves instead of scrolling. That said, e-readers allow free books, instant access since you don't have to go to the store or wait for the mail, and you can take 300 books on a plane and only add about 1lb to your carry on. Also, you don't have to buy one; you can download the kindle app on any device free. I like the freedom of being able to not have to turn on and off lights or try to keep track of a bookmark that might get lost in the pillows or taken by the pups when I'm tired. I'd suggest kindle vs nook because I'm partial to Amazon and their unlimited for $10 a month program.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”