How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Are you meeting your reading goals?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 124

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Post by ianbuchanan »

Aryastark wrote: 05 May 2018, 10:49
Aryastark wrote: 05 May 2018, 10:28
ianbuchanan wrote: 05 May 2018, 09:04

Well it definitely seems like you are reading at a very steady pace! Haha, I can relate to the sleep part, as I do most of my reading before bed and sometimes struggle to keep my eyes open after a while. Where do you primarily find these free books? Also, I'm unfamiliar with BOTD...could you explain what that is? I'll always have my ears open when I hear free books! :techie-studyinggray:
By BOTD I meant this Book of the Day feature of Online Book Club. It has already given me enough books to last two/three months (provided I am reading only BOTD books and nothing else).
You can just google a specific book name. Add the format (like pdf or epub) and the words 'free download'. Different sites are there for downloading the ebooks. I am giving two examples here - one is Gutenberg.org where I have found mainly classics, and a very recent one is OceanofPDF.com. Probably you are familiar with them. There are many such sites. Some readers here recommended 'bookbub', though I have yet to try that for myself!
Ohhh, I see! While I do prefer physical books, sometime ebooks provide the convenience and portability that simply are hard for physical books to match. I have heard of Gutenberg.org and bookbub! Haven't heard of oceantopdf.com but I just checked it out and it seems really simple and would come in handy! Thanks for bringing that to my attention! Do you find the selection to be relatively wide? As in, do you have trouble finding the books you want at times?
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

ianbuchanan wrote: 06 May 2018, 21:06
Aryastark wrote: 05 May 2018, 10:28

By BOTD I meant this Book of the Day feature of Online Book Club. It has already given me enough books to last two/three months (provided I am reading only BOTD books and nothing else).
You can just google a specific book name. Add the format (like pdf or epub) and the words 'free download'. Different sites are there for downloading the ebooks. I am giving two examples here - one is Gutenberg.org where I have found mainly classics, and a very recent one is OceanofPDF.com. Probably you are familiar with them. There are many such sites. Some readers here recommended 'bookbub', though I have yet to try that for myself!
Ohhh, I see! While I do prefer physical books, sometime ebooks provide the convenience and portability that simply are hard for physical books to match. I have heard of Gutenberg.org and bookbub! Haven't heard of oceantopdf.com but I just checked it out and it seems really simple and would come in handy! Thanks for bringing that to my attention! Do you find the selection to be relatively wide? As in, do you have trouble finding the books you want at times?
Yes, sometimes the book I want is not available in pdf/epub format. In case of a few sites, it might not be available in my region, or I have to open an account to access the book.
Otherwise the selections are pretty good and varied as well!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Aryastark wrote: 08 May 2018, 02:15
Yes, sometimes the book I want is not available in pdf/epub format. In case of a few sites, it might not be available in my region, or I have to open an account to access the book.
Awesome! Great to know! I'm not a big e-reader at all, but in certain situations digitizing my reading might be beneficial. Do these sites even have newer books? Sorry, if I come off a little skeptical haha, just curious :lol2:
Shrabastee Chakraborty

ianbuchanan wrote: 08 May 2018, 15:58

Awesome! Great to know! I'm not a big e-reader at all, but in certain situations digitizing my reading might be beneficial. Do these sites even have newer books? Sorry, if I come off a little skeptical haha, just curious :lol2:
In my experience, older books are far more easier to find. There are many sites with archives of classic books. While some of them contain contemporary books as well, they are not always available for downloading. So for those books reading online is a probable option. Most recent books generally are not available, either for downloading or for reading online.I think book review sites are doing great by providing recent books for reading and reviewing.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Aryastark wrote: 08 May 2018, 23:56
In my experience, older books are far more easier to find. There are many sites with archives of classic books. While some of them contain contemporary books as well, they are not always available for downloading. So for those books reading online is a probable option. Most recent books generally are not available, either for downloading or for reading online.I think book review sites are doing great by providing recent books for reading and reviewing.
I see, thanks for clarifying. Okay, interesting, about the book review sites...do you partake in any of those? I have heard elsewhere in these forums from people who do. Are you aware of you get paid to do so? What a great way to make some side money if so!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

ianbuchanan wrote: 09 May 2018, 16:23

I see, thanks for clarifying. Okay, interesting, about the book review sites...do you partake in any of those? I have heard elsewhere in these forums from people who do. Are you aware of you get paid to do so? What a great way to make some side money if so!
Yes I know a number of review sites are there who pay readers for honest reviews, but I am currently enrolled only in OnlineBookClub, and I'm still at level 0 so don't get paid here either. But that does not concern me much as long as I get to read books and voice my views and opinions. Still you are right, getting paid for doing something I love is like a dream career indeed!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Aryastark wrote: 09 May 2018, 23:22

Yes I know a number of review sites are there who pay readers for honest reviews, but I am currently enrolled only in OnlineBookClub, and I'm still at level 0 so don't get paid here either. But that does not concern me much as long as I get to read books and voice my views and opinions. Still you are right, getting paid for doing something I love is like a dream career indeed!
Very cool and great to know! Just a few questions...what do you actually get paid for each book reviewed when you reach that certain level where you can make money? Also, I'm guessing you can only read the digital version of the book, without the option to read a physical copy?
Shrabastee Chakraborty

ianbuchanan wrote: 10 May 2018, 14:59

Very cool and great to know! Just a few questions...what do you actually get paid for each book reviewed when you reach that certain level where you can make money? Also, I'm guessing you can only read the digital version of the book, without the option to read a physical copy?
Nope, not a printed copy but an ebook in the format you prefer. You can just check the review team page for necessary information regarding book review opportunities, guidelines and payment system.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Aryastark wrote: 10 May 2018, 23:47
ianbuchanan wrote: 10 May 2018, 14:59

Nope, not a printed copy but an ebook in the format you prefer. You can just check the review team page for necessary information regarding book review opportunities, guidelines and payment system.
Gotcha. Sounds pretty nifty! Do you think a lot of people are doing this? Or know about this?
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

Hey guys. I haven't been on in a while lol. If anyone is surpassing their reading goals and looking for something new (high/epic fantasy) to read I have really been enjoying the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. I am on her fourth book in the series, Queen of Shadows and it's is really good. The first book is a little slow but it is well worth the wait to get to the rest of them.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

It depends on the month but usually about five or so.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

palilogy wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 22:41 It depends on the month but usually about five or so.
Great, thanks for sharing! What do you like to read most (genre, author, etc.)?
palilogy
Currently Reading:

Post by palilogy »

I adore nonfiction, survivor stories, struggles.
In fiction I love Margaret Atwood. She is just amazing as a writer.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

palilogy wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 13:26 I adore nonfiction, survivor stories, struggles.
In fiction I love Margaret Atwood. She is just amazing as a writer.
I too enjoy struggle stories, I find them very inspiring sometimes (if they end well, of course). Do you have a favorite book among these genres?
palilogy
Currently Reading:

Post by palilogy »

Lucy Grealy's nonfiction book is one of my favorites it's called Autobiography of a Face.
She was diagnosed with cancer when she was just nine years old. After numerous surgeries she went on to Sarah Lawrence College in NY, my alma mater =)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”