How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Are you meeting your reading goals?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 124

Hatarl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatarl1.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Re: How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Post by Hatarl1 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 01:04
Hatarl1 wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 16:51 I love to read whenever I can which is almost all the time. It also depends if I am busy or not. I typically read about 3 to 4 books a week but if I am super busy then 1 or 2 books a week. I put in the books I read last year in goodreads and they have a goal reading. I went past my goal. Apparently I read around 150 books a year averagely. It’s a good way to keep track of what I have read and what I want to read.
Incredibly impressive! Keeping track is also definitely a good idea! I have to ask, where do you get your books in such rapid succession? Do you order/buy a lot at once and then repeat when you run out? Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! Throughout the years I mostly buy them when it’s on sale. It’s hard to get it when it’s on sale for me. Some of the books I bought was in series so I wait and gather more. I read 5he ones that has the series that are finished since I can’t read out of order. I mostly find a lot of books at the library. They have so much. There were few times when they are missing a book or two in a series so I don’t read those. Lately though I feel as if it’s getting harder to find good books I like. It feels like I practically read everything there. I love free hints to so at kindle or nook they have good free books. I even go to websites when they are giving free books or it’s .99 cents. Also my friends and family know I love to read so they get me Barnes and nobles gift card and I’ve gathered quite a few. So I save them until I found what I like and if it’s on sale. :techie-studyinggray:
folkshot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-folkshot.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by folkshot »

Man, I used to read several books a week. I was a voracious reader and can start and finish a good-size book within the day. I would still be a voracious reader...if I didn't have kids. They really take up most of my day now and it's hard to find the time to read. I have hundreds of books waiting in my Kindle and generally I can have a couple books going at one time.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

folkshot wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 23:27 Man, I used to read several books a week. I was a voracious reader and can start and finish a good-size book within the day. I would still be a voracious reader...if I didn't have kids. They really take up most of my day now and it's hard to find the time to read. I have hundreds of books waiting in my Kindle and generally I can have a couple books going at one time.
While this may pale in comparison to your previous reading levels...I heard a very interesting statistic about a month ago, saying that for each minute you read a day, you will end up reading that many books per year! So, even 15 minutes a day will result in completing about 15 books per year. Something to ponder, at least! Are you a Kindle/e-book reader more so than a print book reader? Personally, I prefer print books, but haven't certainly began to look into e-readers!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ianbuchanan wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 20:23
folkshot wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 23:27 Man, I used to read several books a week. I was a voracious reader and can start and finish a good-size book within the day. I would still be a voracious reader...if I didn't have kids. They really take up most of my day now and it's hard to find the time to read. I have hundreds of books waiting in my Kindle and generally I can have a couple books going at one time.
While this may pale in comparison to your previous reading levels...I heard a very interesting statistic about a month ago, saying that for each minute you read a day, you will end up reading that many books per year! So, even 15 minutes a day will result in completing about 15 books per year. Something to ponder, at least! Are you a Kindle/e-book reader more so than a print book reader? Personally, I prefer print books, but haven't certainly began to look into e-readers!
have certainly began to look into e-readers!*
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Hatarl1 wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 23:15
Hatarl1 wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 16:51 I love to read whenever I can which is almost all the time. It also depends if I am busy or not. I typically read about 3 to 4 books a week but if I am super busy then 1 or 2 books a week. I put in the books I read last year in goodreads and they have a goal reading. I went past my goal. Apparently I read around 150 books a year averagely. It’s a good way to keep track of what I have read and what I want to read.
Incredibly impressive! Keeping track is also definitely a good idea! I have to ask, where do you get your books in such rapid succession? Do you order/buy a lot at once and then repeat when you run out? Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! Throughout the years I mostly buy them when it’s on sale. It’s hard to get it when it’s on sale for me. Some of the books I bought was in series so I wait and gather more. I read 5he ones that has the series that are finished since I can’t read out of order. I mostly find a lot of books at the library. They have so much. There were few times when they are missing a book or two in a series so I don’t read those. Lately though I feel as if it’s getting harder to find good books I like. It feels like I practically read everything there. I love free hints to so at kindle or nook they have good free books. I even go to websites when they are giving free books or it’s .99 cents. Also my friends and family know I love to read so they get me Barnes and nobles gift card and I’ve gathered quite a few. So I save them until I found what I like and if it’s on sale. :techie-studyinggray:
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you get your books in all sorts of ways. Do you at all find any inconvenience in getting books so frequently? As in, having to travel to libraries and book stores? Or, do you typically read e-books that you can acquire digitally? Just curious, as I have began to explore both options.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

mamalui wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 23:02 Through free books to review, sadly we don't have a book library where I'm at due to the location so the only other outlet is buying on amazon.
Free books to review? Sorry, I'm not familiar, can you explain what that is? How far is the closest library to your location? I'm fortunate enough to have them pretty close by but am aware that they can get sparse in certain areas. Have you looked into e-books and e-readers at all? They may provide you with greater access to books, if you are willing to consider reading from a screen rather than print.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Ecm68976 wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 16:25 I actually get free books in My kindle Fire, so I can read a book in a 2 or 3 week period. When I am not busy.
Have you been reading e-books over print books for a while now? What do you find are the benefits of e-readers to traditional print books? Personally, I prefer print books for the interaction and other reasons I just can't explain.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I used to read print books before but I came to notice that they take up too much space. I have a box full of them with nowhere to put them. So now I prefer e books because I storage is easy. I have been enjoying e books I think for 2 years now.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Hatarl1
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatarl1.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Hatarl1 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 20:33

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you get your books in all sorts of ways. Do you at all find any inconvenience in getting books so frequently? As in, having to travel to libraries and book stores? Or, do you typically read e-books that you can acquire digitally? Just curious, as I have began to explore both options.
Your welcome. Not at all, because when it comes to getting books from library I find what I want and get around 10 books since I have to return it in 3 weeks (because we can only have them for 3 weeks at a time and we can renew it to another 3 weeks if we want). I am able to read all those books in those 3 weeks. If I feel like I don’t have time to go there a lot and know it will probably be a month I take about 15 books with me. I prefer reading actual books then the e-books. But if they don’t have it in the books and only in e-books then I will get it. I don’t go to bookstores often. Only 1 every 3 months or so, that way I can see if they have any new sales going on. Plus my library sells some books for really good prices like: romance paperback is .50 cents each, and some others will have yellow sticker for $3, red for $2 and green for $1. And they sometimes do sales like buy 1 get 1 free or buy 2 get 1 free. Though they don’t do that often. A few times I have also gone on craiglist to see if anybody is selling books that I like. 1 time there was a lady that had a lot and there was some that I liked and I end up getting 50 for only $20 because she said she was trying to get rid of them. You always got to look wherever you can. I also of course made a list of authors and theirs books and what books I have or read and what I don’t have so I won’t get the same book again. I hope you able to find options that best suit you. Sometimes it can be all options or just those few. :D
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

mamalui wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 04:46 I used to read print books before but I came to notice that they take up too much space. I have a box full of them with nowhere to put them. So now I prefer e books because I storage is easy. I have been enjoying e books I think for 2 years now.
E-books are great space savers! In regards to your many books taking up space, have you thought of donating them? I know, even based on insights from this forum, many readers love going to used book shops to find their next read, which are made possible through donors, such as someone like yourself with many books to give! Are there any other benefits of e-books that make them attractive versus print books, or is storage the only reason you made the switch? Just curious, as I'm looking more and more into e-readers myself!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Hatarl1 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 13:08
ianbuchanan wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 20:33

Your welcome. Not at all, because when it comes to getting books from library I find what I want and get around 10 books since I have to return it in 3 weeks (because we can only have them for 3 weeks at a time and we can renew it to another 3 weeks if we want). I am able to read all those books in those 3 weeks. If I feel like I don’t have time to go there a lot and know it will probably be a month I take about 15 books with me. I prefer reading actual books then the e-books. But if they don’t have it in the books and only in e-books then I will get it. I don’t go to bookstores often. Only 1 every 3 months or so, that way I can see if they have any new sales going on. Plus my library sells some books for really good prices like: romance paperback is .50 cents each, and some others will have yellow sticker for $3, red for $2 and green for $1. And they sometimes do sales like buy 1 get 1 free or buy 2 get 1 free. Though they don’t do that often. A few times I have also gone on craiglist to see if anybody is selling books that I like. 1 time there was a lady that had a lot and there was some that I liked and I end up getting 50 for only $20 because she said she was trying to get rid of them. You always got to look wherever you can. I also of course made a list of authors and theirs books and what books I have or read and what I don’t have so I won’t get the same book again. I hope you able to find options that best suit you. Sometimes it can be all options or just those few. :D
Wow, very informative, thank you! Very resourceful! Getting books "in- bulk" seems like a very convenient method for you being such an avid reader. It sounds like you are also quite price conscious as a consumer of books...as am I, and I'd assume as are most regular readers. Is there a price you won't pay for a book, say for example, a newly released book you wanted to purchase, but costs a certain amount you aren't willing to pay? Or in these cases, do you just end up visiting the library? Thanks for your insight, it's very helpful!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ianbuchanan wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 01:08
Gravy wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 06:00
ianbuchanan wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 16:14

Yeah, I can definitely relate. Some books just don't "click". Are you currently reading anything outside of Macbeth?
Yes, 4 others.

Hyperspace by Michio Kaku
The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
And a reread of the 4th Harry Potter

All of which have clicked, except perhaps The Gargoyle, though I'm determined to give it a good try.
I wish I could blame my books, but it's likely just my brain telling me I need a break. :lol:
Thanks for sharing! I'll keep those in mind! What's been your favorite so far?
Oh dear... :lol:
I'm no good at favorites.

Hyperspace is a non-fiction, physics book, though by one of my favorite people.
And I always enjoy Harry Potter.
Neverwhere is right up my alley, being at least part portal fantasy.

All very enjoyable, in their own way. :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by EricaWilson »

I usually read about 2 books a week, although this number increases if I get really attached to a certain author or series.
Graceia
Currently Reading: Do a Little Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-graceia.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Graceia »

I have two books going now
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

At one point I thought that you could never have too many books, I have a lot of physical books as well as ebooks.
There are so many places to get free ebooks. I look at the deals offered by bookbub, but there is also ebooksoda, the fussy librarian, ereader news today, instafreebie, bookfunnel, or just looking up kindle and nook books.
The ability to access books to fulfill any readers interest is endless.
I'm feeling less motivation toward reading lately, its surely not for a lack of variety or options. Hope to get back into reading regularly soon.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”