Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Re: Best Way to Get Books?

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I too love to go to the library! If you have trouble finding when your book is in stock, just look on the website and check availability in all branches.
swlly
Currently Reading: City of Bones; (The Mortal Instuments)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swlly.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by swlly »

I try to get my books from libraries as often as i can! Support your local libraries!
Kiisme
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =52409">12 Shades of Surrender</a>
Currently Reading: An Accidental Affair
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiisme.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kiisme »

Search the web for free links that's how I got to this site
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ianbuchanan »

Taekwondoqueen wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 22:38 I too love to go to the library! If you have trouble finding when your book is in stock, just look on the website and check availability in all branches.
Oh yeah, I definitely do that! Are you typically renting books from the library or through another method?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

swlly wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 16:56 I try to get my books from libraries as often as i can! Support your local libraries!
You got that right!! Do you more often rent or buy your books?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Kiisme wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 12:41 Search the web for free links that's how I got to this site
Interesting, is there a site that you find most useful for getting books?
swlly
Currently Reading: City of Bones; (The Mortal Instuments)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swlly.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by swlly »

ianbuchanan wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 15:42
swlly wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 16:56 I try to get my books from libraries as often as i can! Support your local libraries!
I usually rent! There is this amazing app called "Libby" where you can connect your library card and borrow e-books.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

swlly wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 19:05
ianbuchanan wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 15:42
I usually rent! There is this amazing app called "Libby" where you can connect your library card and borrow e-books.
Awesome! Yeah, I've heard good things about Libby, are you mostly a fan of e-books or print books?
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

I get most of my books online anymore. I have a Kindle, but you can download the Kindle app for free. You can get a lot of books for free & not just through Kindle Unlimited (which has a monthly fee). Just type in free books & a large list will come up. You can also borrow from your public library using Amazon Kindle. So, that way you have the best of both worlds.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Kareka88 wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 19:14 I get most of my books online anymore. I have a Kindle, but you can download the Kindle app for free. You can get a lot of books for free & not just through Kindle Unlimited (which has a monthly fee). Just type in free books & a large list will come up. You can also borrow from your public library using Amazon Kindle. So, that way you have the best of both worlds.
Awesome, thanks for sharing your preferences! What do you like most and least about reading digitally? How does it compare with reading print books?
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

ianbuchanan, first and foremost, digital books are cheaper to buy considering you want to keep them. They don't take up nearly as much storage space. You can adjust the font size easily. My Kindle fits in my purse and is easy to carry. I also have the Kindle app on my phone, so I am never without a book. And I don't have to tote a massive tome around wherever I go. However, saying all of this, there are times that I do enjoy a "real" book now and then. I may get a hankering in my brain that I want to settle in and read a nice long story so I will buy a print book. When on vacation, print books are delightful companions to have along.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

I have made great use of my Kindle, and there are tons of free books on Amazon. Some of them are very good. Some authors give you one book for free, and once you are hooked on the characters you will be more willing to pay for other novels in the series.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month

Post by gregs317 »

Hi ianbuchanan, I generally get my books from Amazon, occasionally from Barnes and Nobles website.

You seem quite interested in people's buying and borrowing habits of books. Are you a researcher or conducting a survey?
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month

Post by gregs317 »

gregs317 wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 21:56 Hi ianbuchanan, I generally get my books from Amazon, occasionally from Barnes and Nobles website.

You seem quite interested in people's buying and borrowing habits of books. Are you a researcher or conducting a survey?
Sorry ianbuchanan, please disregard my previous comments. Happy reading everyone!
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

The library or a Half-Price Bookstore!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”