Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Best Way to Get Books?

Post by ianbuchanan »

Ameesa wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 22:25 Before I started having movement issues due to arthritis, going to book store was my preferred method, with the library second. Even with the major joints in my legs replaced, I still don't get to either one as much as I would wish. I took a bad fall last year just going to shop for a keyboard, broke a femur and spent 3 months in a rehab. Now my preferred method is e-books and audio books.
Wow, well I hope you're recovering well and doing okay! Do you primarily prefer e-books and audiobooks now because they allow you to stay home and consume books? Or, would they be your preferred method to print books no matter what? Personally, I can't seem to switch from print books to digital e-books for whatever reason, there's just something about holding a physical book!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Libs_Books wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 01:57
ianbuchanan wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:24 Do you find it all inconvenient going to the library or having to have books delivered to the library nearest you? Personally, I can find these process inconvenient at times.
I live a 10-minute bike ride from the library so, as long as my arthritis isn't playing up, it's fine. Luckily, it's still open on Saturdays and on one evening a week. On the whole, therefore, it's pretty convenient, but somehow it's always harder to return books than it is to take them out. I'm greedy and usually get too many out and can't finish them all in time. Fortunately, you can usually renew online - unless another person has had the temerity to reserve 'my' book. :)
Does your library have a return "shoot" or bin? I know the libraries I frequent do, which is nice. You don't have to even go inside and can return books at any hour you please. Renewing online is a great feature, it saves you the trip to and from the library! I'm always surprised to hear of libraries without this feature; however, they are typically the smaller operations that simply may not have the resources to have such a feature.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

seymmarc wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 10:28
ianbuchanan wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:26
seymmarc wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 11:52 Lately, I've been seeking out specific books to cross of my "want to read" list, so my local library is the best option. I can get almost any title I'm looking for, in either ebook, audiobook, or paperback. Although, I've borrowed a few books from close friends who recommend them.
I love the library! Their selection is usually great in my neighborhood, so getting the book I want is rarely a problem. What form do you typically read in (print, e-book)? I'm a print book guy myself, but I am becoming more and more aware of the benefits of e-readers and e-books.

Print is always my first choice! There have been times where I just couldn't wait for it to arrive from another library or it was only available in ebook/audiobook. Actually, if I can't get the book in print, I prefer an audiobook over an ebook so I can listen to it at work.
Yeah...sometimes you just don't want to wait for that book anymore! Do you ever find yourself getting distracted while listening to audiobooks? That's always a thought/concern I've had when considering them myself.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:52
Gravy wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 23:23
ianbuchanan wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 19:33

Got it, thanks for sharing. Just curious...how long have you been compiling your literary stockpile? How often do you find yourself reading those books that you've amassed?
Years. :lol:

Honestly, whenever I'm in the mood to, which is fairly often.
I'm sure you've built quite the collection! Do you have a go-to book in your collection...one you just seem to go back to over and over? I bet not having to leave your home to get your next book is a nice perk!
Oh my, that's such a hard question!
Ummm...

I reread Harry Potter pretty regularly, though it had been a few years prior to this run through.

Definitely The Neverending Story by Michael Ende.

I have a collection of Poe's poetry that I break out pretty often, if only to read my favorites.

A few others that I tend to reread, a few Michael Crichton, some others...
Then there are the ones I want to reread, like Mao's Last Dancer, M Butterfly, maybe The Chess Garden. Basically anything that really sticks with me.

And yes, I have amassed a nice little collection, and I think I would die if I had to wait to start my next book. :shock:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Ameesa
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Ameesa »

ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:55
Ameesa wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 22:25 Before I started having movement issues due to arthritis, going to book store was my preferred method, with the library second. Even with the major joints in my legs replaced, I still don't get to either one as much as I would wish. I took a bad fall last year just going to shop for a keyboard, broke a femur and spent 3 months in a rehab. Now my preferred method is e-books and audio books.
Wow, well I hope you're recovering well and doing okay! Do you primarily prefer e-books and audiobooks now because they allow you to stay home and consume books? Or, would they be your preferred method to print books no matter what? Personally, I can't seem to switch from print books to digital e-books for whatever reason, there's just something about holding a physical book!
I prefer e-books and audio books now, simply because I am used to them and I can get something new instantly. Plus I can shop for them from home or wherever I happen to be. I am mostly fine, thank you for asking, but after my fall, I find I'm becoming a bit of a recluse. I like familiar surroundings more now. But I don't consume books at the rate I used to, though planning to change that. Switching to e-books did take some getting used to and I do have friends who just can't seem to like them. Unfortunately, I also have a hard time holding books now, the arthritis is all over, and the e-books are easier to handle for me also.

I do miss spending hours in a good bookstore. Denver has one that is quite well known called The Tattered Cover, and I'd occasionally plan a full day in there or the surrounding area. Go early, peruse the 5 floors of books, then maybe go eat someplace close by and go back to the Tattered Cover to enjoy an afternoon sitting in a cozy chair, selecting which books I wanted to go home with.
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 18:02
ianbuchanan wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:26

I love the library! Their selection is usually great in my neighborhood, so getting the book I want is rarely a problem. What form do you typically read in (print, e-book)? I'm a print book guy myself, but I am becoming more and more aware of the benefits of e-readers and e-books.

Print is always my first choice! There have been times where I just couldn't wait for it to arrive from another library or it was only available in ebook/audiobook. Actually, if I can't get the book in print, I prefer an audiobook over an ebook so I can listen to it at work.
Yeah...sometimes you just don't want to wait for that book anymore! Do you ever find yourself getting distracted while listening to audiobooks? That's always a thought/concern I've had when considering them myself.
I have gotten distracted by something I'm doing or another thought while listening to an audiobook, but I've also done the same with a book in print. I've found that I can't do something that takes too much thought while listening to an audiobook.
Omohobhio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Omohobhio »

You can get second hand books as well. It's cheaper.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 19:56
Jfoust1988 wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 13:29 I usually borrow. I live in a small town with a very small library. The selection is horrible. But lately I found this website called bookbub and it has lots of decent ebooks for free off amazon. Check it out.
Huh, interesting! I'll definitely check it out! I'm fortunate to live in a suburb of a larger city with a great library system, so I use that almost for every book I read. Do you primarily read e-books? For whatever reason, I can't get off the old fashioned print book, just something about them!
I primarily listen to audiobooks or read ebooks. I do prefer the print book. Holding it in your hands just feels different. But being in a rural area I have to travel about 30 miles to the nearest library and the town its in is only a population of about 1000. So most of the books are very out of date. The newest selection they had for vampire fiction was Bram Stoker's Dracula. But also being a single mother of a 9 year old and a 2 year old my options are rather limited in the cash department. So ebooks are cheaper than hard copies. I do have some really awesome friends who have small personal libraries of their own and they let me borrow freely when I having a withdraw from lack of holding a real book.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Gravy wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 21:46
ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:52
Gravy wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 23:23

Years. :lol:

Honestly, whenever I'm in the mood to, which is fairly often.
I'm sure you've built quite the collection! Do you have a go-to book in your collection...one you just seem to go back to over and over? I bet not having to leave your home to get your next book is a nice perk!
Oh my, that's such a hard question!
Ummm...

I reread Harry Potter pretty regularly, though it had been a few years prior to this run through.

Definitely The Neverending Story by Michael Ende.

I have a collection of Poe's poetry that I break out pretty often, if only to read my favorites.

A few others that I tend to reread, a few Michael Crichton, some others...
Then there are the ones I want to reread, like Mao's Last Dancer, M Butterfly, maybe The Chess Garden. Basically anything that really sticks with me.

And yes, I have amassed a nice little collection, and I think I would die if I had to wait to start my next book. :shock:
Well thanks for taking a stab at such a difficult question! They all sound like great reads and suggestions that I will keep in mind as I think about what books I want to read in the near future! I'm not sure if you mentioned this previously, but do you order books online at all given the time it can take to get to you?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Ameesa wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 22:56
ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:55
I prefer e-books and audio books now, simply because I am used to them and I can get something new instantly. Plus I can shop for them from home or wherever I happen to be. I am mostly fine, thank you for asking, but after my fall, I find I'm becoming a bit of a recluse. I like familiar surroundings more now. But I don't consume books at the rate I used to, though planning to change that. Switching to e-books did take some getting used to and I do have friends who just can't seem to like them. Unfortunately, I also have a hard time holding books now, the arthritis is all over, and the e-books are easier to handle for me also.

I do miss spending hours in a good bookstore. Denver has one that is quite well known called The Tattered Cover, and I'd occasionally plan a full day in there or the surrounding area. Go early, peruse the 5 floors of books, then maybe go eat someplace close by and go back to the Tattered Cover to enjoy an afternoon sitting in a cozy chair, selecting which books I wanted to go home with.
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. The Tattered Cover seems like a book-lover paradise! Where do you typically get your e-books and audiobooks from? I'm new to all of that and don't really know where to start!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

seymmarc wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 09:55
ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 18:02

I have gotten distracted by something I'm doing or another thought while listening to an audiobook, but I've also done the same with a book in print. I've found that I can't do something that takes too much thought while listening to an audiobook.
Right, and very true, the mind can wander with print books as well. What do you find to be the best parts of e-readers/e-books and audiobooks? I'm new to those entirely and have been wanting to learn more!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Omohobhio wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 12:33 You can get second hand books as well. It's cheaper.
Very true, thanks for sharing! Is that what you do primarily to get your books? I'm curious, how much do they usually cost in your experience?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jfoust1988 wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 13:01
ianbuchanan wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 19:56
Jfoust1988 wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 13:29 I usually borrow. I live in a small town with a very small library. The selection is horrible. But lately I found this website called bookbub and it has lots of decent ebooks for free off amazon. Check it out.
Huh, interesting! I'll definitely check it out! I'm fortunate to live in a suburb of a larger city with a great library system, so I use that almost for every book I read. Do you primarily read e-books? For whatever reason, I can't get off the old fashioned print book, just something about them!
I primarily listen to audiobooks or read ebooks. I do prefer the print book. Holding it in your hands just feels different. But being in a rural area I have to travel about 30 miles to the nearest library and the town its in is only a population of about 1000. So most of the books are very out of date. The newest selection they had for vampire fiction was Bram Stoker's Dracula. But also being a single mother of a 9 year old and a 2 year old my options are rather limited in the cash department. So ebooks are cheaper than hard copies. I do have some really awesome friends who have small personal libraries of their own and they let me borrow freely when I having a withdraw from lack of holding a real book.
Awesome, you are very resourceful! I'm entirely new to e-books and audiobooks...how much do they typically cost?
read2u
Currently Reading: Unveil your Intimate Self
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-read2u.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by read2u »

Most of the time I get books online but, going to auctions is a good way to get them also. You can find some out of print or antique books this way. I rarely get books from the library anymore cause I want to keep them.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 18:00
Libs_Books wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 01:57On the whole, therefore, it's pretty convenient, but somehow it's always harder to return books than it is to take them out. I'm greedy and usually get too many out and can't finish them all in time.
Does your library have a return "shoot" or bin? I know the libraries I frequent do, which is nice. You don't have to even go inside and can return books at any hour you please. Renewing online is a great feature, it saves you the trip to and from the library! I'm always surprised to hear of libraries without this feature; however, they are typically the smaller operations that simply may not have the resources to have such a feature.
The library doesn't have any bin (etc) system for returning books out of office hours when the building is locked, but lately they have started opening access to their automated check-in/check-out machines at times when the library is officially closed, provided the building (which they share with the city museum) is open.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”