Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Best Way to Get Books?

Post by ianbuchanan »

ReaderTeacher wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 22:25 Thriftbooks is also an excellent place to order second-hand books at a discounted price. You can decide how much you are willing to pay and choose the quality of the book you want (some are very used library books while others are in like new condition). The best part is that as you buy, you earn credits back, so you can get even more books!
Sounds very interesting! I'll have to check it out. How's the overall selection?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 19:05 There are many websites that give you information about free and discounted ebooks. Bookbub, ebooksoda, the fussy librarian, eBook news today. Just a couple to check out.
I hadn't heard of these before becoming active on this forum. They all are definitely outlets I will look into. Are these all for e-books exclusively?
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

Now that I live across the street from an excellent library, I prefer to borrow! Failing that, I'm all about ebooks and audiobooks. When a good sale comes along, I can stock up on anything I want that the library doesn't have without taking up space in my house.
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

ianbuchanan wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 19:37 Right...do you typically get your next book by browsing and looking for something then and there? Or, rather, do you usually know what book you want in mind before going to get it from, say, a library?
A bit of both. If I actually have a title and/or author, I usually check the catalogue online - if someone else has got it out, or it's stored in another branch, it's free to make a reservation and get it delivered to my local library, which is the central one for the whole county anyway. If it's just, "I want a book about...." then I'll usually go and look, though I might check the catalogue first. And sometimes I just browse. 8)
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

Lately, I've been seeking out specific books to cross of my "want to read" list, so my local library is the best option. I can get almost any title I'm looking for, in either ebook, audiobook, or paperback. Although, I've borrowed a few books from close friends who recommend them.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

I usually get my books from bookstores, book sales, garage sales or the like because I like to have the book in my hands almost right away. Also libraries are good, but I would have to keep returning the book to get it redeemed/rechecked out.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Honeybeetle wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 20:08 Now that I live across the street from an excellent library, I prefer to borrow! Failing that, I'm all about ebooks and audiobooks. When a good sale comes along, I can stock up on anything I want that the library doesn't have without taking up space in my house.
I love to borrow from the library as well! For whatever reason, I haven't found myself too enticed by e-readers and e-books...something about the touch and feel of a print book! What do you find are the biggest benefits of e-readers and e-books? I'm curious to learn more!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Libs_Books wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 01:22
ianbuchanan wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 19:37 Right...do you typically get your next book by browsing and looking for something then and there? Or, rather, do you usually know what book you want in mind before going to get it from, say, a library?
A bit of both. If I actually have a title and/or author, I usually check the catalogue online - if someone else has got it out, or it's stored in another branch, it's free to make a reservation and get it delivered to my local library, which is the central one for the whole county anyway. If it's just, "I want a book about...." then I'll usually go and look, though I might check the catalogue first. And sometimes I just browse. 8)
Okay, I kind of operate the same way when I'm looking for the next book I want to read. Do you find it all inconvenient going to the library or having to have books delivered to the library nearest you? Personally, I can find these process inconvenient at times.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

seymmarc wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 11:52 Lately, I've been seeking out specific books to cross of my "want to read" list, so my local library is the best option. I can get almost any title I'm looking for, in either ebook, audiobook, or paperback. Although, I've borrowed a few books from close friends who recommend them.
I love the library! Their selection is usually great in my neighborhood, so getting the book I want is rarely a problem. What form do you typically read in (print, e-book)? I'm a print book guy myself, but I am becoming more and more aware of the benefits of e-readers and e-books.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

todwyer01 wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 15:28 I usually get my books from bookstores, book sales, garage sales or the like because I like to have the book in my hands almost right away. Also libraries are good, but I would have to keep returning the book to get it redeemed/rechecked out.
Is price a primary factor when considering where to get your books from? It seems that listed book prices can be all over the place depending on where you buy them, so I just rent to avoid having to check multiple book outlets for the best price, plus it's free from the library! By rechecked out do you mean renewed after the rental period is up? That has also been an issue for me at times when I simply didn't finish the book within my library's allotted three-week rental period. How long is you library's rental period?
Ameesa
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Ameesa »

Before I started having movement issues due to arthritis, going to book store was my preferred method, with the library second. Even with the major joints in my legs replaced, I still don't get to either one as much as I would wish. I took a bad fall last year just going to shop for a keyboard, broke a femur and spent 3 months in a rehab. Now my preferred method is e-books and audio books.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ianbuchanan wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 19:33
Gravy wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 22:21
ianbuchanan wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 01:17

Do ever sacrifice low costs, such as books from used book stores, for the convenience of online ordering, allowing you to not have to make a trip to the book store? Or does the conscious price consumer in you always rear its head and find the lowest price no matter what?
Thankfully, unless I want a book "RIGHT NOW", I don't need to be in a rush. I have a good stockpile of books that I've yet to read.
Even if I want something "RIGHT NOW" I tend to be patient and wait, so yeah...
Got it, thanks for sharing. Just curious...how long have you been compiling your literary stockpile? How often do you find yourself reading those books that you've amassed?
Years. :lol:

Honestly, whenever I'm in the mood to, which is fairly often.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

ianbuchanan wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:24 Do you find it all inconvenient going to the library or having to have books delivered to the library nearest you? Personally, I can find these process inconvenient at times.
I live a 10-minute bike ride from the library so, as long as my arthritis isn't playing up, it's fine. Luckily, it's still open on Saturdays and on one evening a week. On the whole, therefore, it's pretty convenient, but somehow it's always harder to return books than it is to take them out. I'm greedy and usually get too many out and can't finish them all in time. Fortunately, you can usually renew online - unless another person has had the temerity to reserve 'my' book. :)
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

ianbuchanan wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:26
seymmarc wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 11:52 Lately, I've been seeking out specific books to cross of my "want to read" list, so my local library is the best option. I can get almost any title I'm looking for, in either ebook, audiobook, or paperback. Although, I've borrowed a few books from close friends who recommend them.
I love the library! Their selection is usually great in my neighborhood, so getting the book I want is rarely a problem. What form do you typically read in (print, e-book)? I'm a print book guy myself, but I am becoming more and more aware of the benefits of e-readers and e-books.

Print is always my first choice! There have been times where I just couldn't wait for it to arrive from another library or it was only available in ebook/audiobook. Actually, if I can't get the book in print, I prefer an audiobook over an ebook so I can listen to it at work.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Gravy wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 23:23
ianbuchanan wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 19:33
Gravy wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 22:21

Thankfully, unless I want a book "RIGHT NOW", I don't need to be in a rush. I have a good stockpile of books that I've yet to read.
Even if I want something "RIGHT NOW" I tend to be patient and wait, so yeah...
Got it, thanks for sharing. Just curious...how long have you been compiling your literary stockpile? How often do you find yourself reading those books that you've amassed?
Years. :lol:

Honestly, whenever I'm in the mood to, which is fairly often.
I'm sure you've built quite the collection! Do you have a go-to book in your collection...one you just seem to go back to over and over? I bet not having to leave your home to get your next book is a nice perk!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”