Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Re: Best Way to Get Books?

Post by Jfoust1988 »

I usually borrow. I live in a small town with a very small library. The selection is horrible. But lately I found this website called bookbub and it has lots of decent ebooks for free off amazon. Check it out.
ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jfoust1988 wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 13:29 I usually borrow. I live in a small town with a very small library. The selection is horrible. But lately I found this website called bookbub and it has lots of decent ebooks for free off amazon. Check it out.
Huh, interesting! I'll definitely check it out! I'm fortunate to live in a suburb of a larger city with a great library system, so I use that almost for every book I read. Do you primarily read e-books? For whatever reason, I can't get off the old fashioned print book, just something about them!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

kfwilson6 wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 17:15 My parish library has two digital options and between the two I can find a lot of books. They keep the options very up to date. Have you checked to see if your library has an e-catalogue? Mine has Overdrive and Cloud Library. It is free and instant. If your library doesn't have it, check nearby local libraries. My parish offers a library card to non-residents for $35 a year which is pretty good for the selection you get.

I also have Kindle Unlimited which I find very LIMITED. Other than using it to review books for this website, I have never found anything I've intentionally gone looking forward.
Interesting point about the Kindle Unlimited...wouldn't, as an outsider to the e-reader "game", think that that would be the case. I am a big user of my local library system...have yet to have a problem finding a book I've wanted. I haven't looked much into e-books due to the simple fact that I just prefer print books, for whatever reason! Do you typically find yourself reading e-books or print books?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ianbuchanan wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 20:00
kfwilson6 wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 17:15 My parish library has two digital options and between the two I can find a lot of books. They keep the options very up to date. Have you checked to see if your library has an e-catalogue? Mine has Overdrive and Cloud Library. It is free and instant. If your library doesn't have it, check nearby local libraries. My parish offers a library card to non-residents for $35 a year which is pretty good for the selection you get.

I also have Kindle Unlimited which I find very LIMITED. Other than using it to review books for this website, I have never found anything I've intentionally gone looking forward.
Interesting point about the Kindle Unlimited...wouldn't, as an outsider to the e-reader "game", think that that would be the case. I am a big user of my local library system...have yet to have a problem finding a book I've wanted. I haven't looked much into e-books due to the simple fact that I just prefer print books, for whatever reason! Do you typically find yourself reading e-books or print books?
The only problem I have with libraries is that the selection of a book I want has, at times, been limited, meaning that all library copies are currently being rented so the waiting game begins...a minor inconvenience for sure
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ScoutWrites wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 19:50 Wow, I never realized how lucky I am. I live in a large metro area and have a system of libraries. If the book I'm looking for isn't at the nearest library, I can request a transfer from another library in the district and have it within two days, or just borrow a digital copy and download it to my Kindle. In fact, if I'm on a wait list, I often place a hold on both a physical and a digital copy and see which comes in first (usually physical). I never imagined living in a place where the library wasn't a practical option!
I live in a moderately large city as well, but some of the new releases get swooped up or put on hold so quickly that I miss out for a few days or weeks. Not a huge inconvenience but one nonetheless at times. Physical versus digital...which do you prefer? I haven't really delved into the digital reading arena yet so I'm curious what draw readers to e-readers and e-books.
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

ianbuchanan wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 20:06
ScoutWrites wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 19:50 Wow, I never realized how lucky I am. I live in a large metro area and have a system of libraries. If the book I'm looking for isn't at the nearest library, I can request a transfer from another library in the district and have it within two days, or just borrow a digital copy and download it to my Kindle. In fact, if I'm on a wait list, I often place a hold on both a physical and a digital copy and see which comes in first (usually physical). I never imagined living in a place where the library wasn't a practical option!
I live in a moderately large city as well, but some of the new releases get swooped up or put on hold so quickly that I miss out for a few days or weeks. Not a huge inconvenience but one nonetheless at times. Physical versus digital...which do you prefer? I haven't really delved into the digital reading arena yet so I'm curious what draw readers to e-readers and e-books.
Short answer? I prefer physical books. I like things that are tangible. I've owned a Kindle PaperWhite for about 4 years now and I think I've purchased one ebook in that time.

That being said, I love my PaperWhite. I love the portability of it. I love that I can read wherever I want, holding it with one hand or sometimes no hands until the page turn. I can easily read in a dark room, or throw it in my bag without worrying about bending the pages. E-readers are great!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I tend to read more e-books than print books. I do have a stash of print books that I've gotten from sales the library has or the used book store (I am not picky about having new, beautiful copies of books). But most of the time, the convenience of e-books wins out. Not only are they quick to access, but they are also easier to use. I cannot read a print book when I am on my elliptical, it's too hard to hold and for some reason makes me a little dizzy. I can read my kindle though so it makes my workout seem like it's going by much more quickly. Plus that's just another opportunity to read. Also, I don't have to worry about placing a hold at the library or returning to see if a book I want is available. I can simply request it on the app and I get an email alert once it is my turn to borrow it.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 22:14
rave_2 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 15:40
ianbuchanan wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 21:42

Thrift is never a bad thing! Would libraries be you're go to way of getting books if you could visit them? Do you have any in walking distance?
True!
Yeah, I think libraries would be my go-to way to get books if there was one within walking distance. There's actually one library close to me, but not close enough to walk to.
Ah, I see, bummer! I've been thinking a lot about the feasibility of a library book delivery service...sounds like people in your situation could potentially benefit from such a service :eusa-think:
That actually sounds pretty cool.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

rave_2 wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 17:07
rave_2 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 15:40

True!
Yeah, I think libraries would be my go-to way to get books if there was one within walking distance. There's actually one library close to me, but not close enough to walk to.
Ah, I see, bummer! I've been thinking a lot about the feasibility of a library book delivery service...sounds like people in your situation could potentially benefit from such a service :eusa-think:
I think so too! I just think books could be provided for cheap and brought right to the reader, seems like a no-brainer because library books are free and the only charge would be for delivery.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ScoutWrites wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 12:25
Short answer? I prefer physical books. I like things that are tangible. I've owned a Kindle PaperWhite for about 4 years now and I think I've purchased one ebook in that time.

That being said, I love my PaperWhite. I love the portability of it. I love that I can read wherever I want, holding it with one hand or sometimes no hands until the page turn. I can easily read in a dark room, or throw it in my bag without worrying about bending the pages. E-readers are great!
I can certainly see the benefits of e-readers! The convenience and portability are hard to beat! But, like you, I like the tangible nature of print books as well and pretty much only read print books exclusively. Do you like the feature of e-readers that basically allows you to get a new book without having to go anywhere and pretty much instantly? I feel like that is a major benefit and selling point.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

kfwilson6 wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 14:18

I tend to read more e-books than print books. I do have a stash of print books that I've gotten from sales the library has or the used book store (I am not picky about having new, beautiful copies of books). But most of the time, the convenience of e-books wins out. Not only are they quick to access, but they are also easier to use. I cannot read a print book when I am on my elliptical, it's too hard to hold and for some reason makes me a little dizzy. I can read my kindle though so it makes my workout seem like it's going by much more quickly. Plus that's just another opportunity to read. Also, I don't have to worry about placing a hold at the library or returning to see if a book I want is available. I can simply request it on the app and I get an email alert once it is my turn to borrow it.
Right...e-readers have so many benefits! Working out too, never thought about that, but good point, I can see what you mean! Yes, I have experienced books not be available at the library...a minor inconvenience for sure. My library system emails me when a book I've placed on hold has become available, which is nice, but I still need to pick it up...which shines another light on having books at your fingertips.
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

ianbuchanan wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 20:47

I can certainly see the benefits of e-readers! The convenience and portability are hard to beat! But, like you, I like the tangible nature of print books as well and pretty much only read print books exclusively. Do you like the feature of e-readers that basically allows you to get a new book without having to go anywhere and pretty much instantly? I feel like that is a major benefit and selling point.
Ugh yeah, I had to return a print library book yesterday after leaving it in my car and biking to work. If that had been a digital copy it would have just disappeared on its own. So that feature goes both ways.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I enjoy looking for books in charity shops. Usually, they just have a couple of shelves and the selection is a bit random, but we're lucky to have two dedicated charity bookshops in this town - both really well-organised. It's quite rare to go and look for a specific book and actually find it, but it's a great way of finding something that turns out to be an unexpected pleasure.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html

Post by rave_2 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 20:38
rave_2 wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 17:07

I think so too! I just think books could be provided for cheap and brought right to the reader, seems like a no-brainer because library books are free and the only charge would be for delivery.
Exactly!
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ScoutWrites wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 09:03
ianbuchanan wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 20:47

Ugh yeah, I had to return a print library book yesterday after leaving it in my car and biking to work. If that had been a digital copy it would have just disappeared on its own. So that feature goes both ways.
Yeah...an inconvenience at time for sure. I've been there too. I've been pondering the idea of a library book delivery service, that could also pick and return the book when the reader is finished. Seems like it would wipe away many of the inconveniences associated with obtaining print books, from libraries, book stores, etc. What do you think of that idea?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”