Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Best Way to Get Books?

Post by ianbuchanan »

BriennaiJ wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:32 Instafreebie is a great site to get full versions of books by indie authors for free!
Awesome! What a great resource, thanks for sharing! I'm guessing it's difficult to find more mainstream ebooks on the platform though? Or is the selection pretty wide?
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:37
BriennaiJ wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:32 Instafreebie is a great site to get full versions of books by indie authors for free!
Awesome! What a great resource, thanks for sharing! I'm guessing it's difficult to find more mainstream ebooks on the platform though? Or is the selection pretty wide?
Mainstream might be hard to find, but I have discovered quite a few really good authors on there. Some books are completely self-published and might be of poor quality, while others show signs of having a professional cover designer and a really good editor. You just gotta take your chances.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

BriennaiJ wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:40
Mainstream might be hard to find, but I have discovered quite a few really good authors on there. Some books are completely self-published and might be of poor quality, while others show signs of having a professional cover designer and a really good editor. You just gotta take your chances.
Right...well good to know! And yes, it's free, so you're not taking much of a risk so you may as well go for it! Do you typically read ebooks over print?
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:43
Right...well good to know! And yes, it's free, so you're not taking much of a risk so you may as well go for it! Do you typically read ebooks over print?
I like to read print more. However, the more involved I get with Instafreebie and sites with this one, the more ebooks I have to read. I have gotten used to reading a lot on my phone now. :lol:
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:34
Jesscar6 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 06:20
ianbuchanan wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 19:53

Cool! How do you find the prices to be on Amazon? Relatively cheap? I usually go to the local library, so I'm not all that familiar.

Generally they're pretty cheap. Anything from being free to £4
Awesome! Do you have Amazon Prime to capitalize on free shipping?

I do have it.
I have kindle unlimited too.
Definitely a saving overall for me having them.
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:30
Cswrawr wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 22:42
ianbuchanan wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 19:52

I see! Having never had any experience with ereaders or ebooks...what do you like most about them?
I like that kindle books cross platforms. I can be reading it on my computer and then go outside and open it on my kindle to the same spot. Or open up my phone while standing in line and pull up the last book I was reading. I also like that I can underline and type in notes which I won't do with a physical book, even if I own it. It's lighter than carrying physical books, I have like 100+ books on my kindle so I can just carry that and have a lot to read, which is both a positive and a negative as I have a bad habit of starting several books at once just because they're there.
All seem like very convenient benefits, thanks for sharing! So, I have to ask...why do you still prefer print books?
Because I can hold them and feel them and smell them, lol! There's a reality to them that kindle books just can't quite match.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

BriennaiJ wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:49
ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:43

I like to read print more. However, the more involved I get with Instafreebie and sites with this one, the more ebooks I have to read. I have gotten used to reading a lot on my phone now. :lol:
I see. Is the primary benefit of ebooks to you the portability aspect? I can understand how nice it would be to have many books available to you at your fingertips!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jesscar6 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 02:00
Jesscar6 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 06:20

Generally they're pretty cheap. Anything from being free to £4

I do have it.
Right, for avid readers those are definitely worthwhile! Now with kindle unlimited, how does that work? Do you pay a flat monthly fee and then for any ebooks on top of that fee? I also heard that you get one free ebook per month through the service...that's a nice perk!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Cswrawr wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 11:38
ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:30
Cswrawr wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 22:42

I like that kindle books cross platforms. I can be reading it on my computer and then go outside and open it on my kindle to the same spot. Or open up my phone while standing in line and pull up the last book I was reading. I also like that I can underline and type in notes which I won't do with a physical book, even if I own it. It's lighter than carrying physical books, I have like 100+ books on my kindle so I can just carry that and have a lot to read, which is both a positive and a negative as I have a bad habit of starting several books at once just because they're there.
All seem like very convenient benefits, thanks for sharing! So, I have to ask...why do you still prefer print books?
Because I can hold them and feel them and smell them, lol! There's a reality to them that kindle books just can't quite match.
Definitely what I thought you would say! I totally agree! At least for me, they also help me keep up with my reading goals as I can easily see my progress when reading versus reading a digital copy. Plus, I stare at a screen all day at my job and enough can be enough lol :lol2:
Jesscar6

Post by Jesscar6 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 17:47

I do have it.
Right, for avid readers those are definitely worthwhile! Now with kindle unlimited, how does that work? Do you pay a flat monthly fee and then for any ebooks on top of that fee? I also heard that you get one free ebook per month through the service...that's a nice perk!

Basically yea. Pay the monthly fee and you can read any books on KU. For me, I save money on buying all the books I read, so I think it's worth it.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jesscar6 wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 01:49

I do have it.

Basically yea. Pay the monthly fee and you can read any books on KU. For me, I save money on buying all the books I read, so I think it's worth it.
I see. So you essentially save x% on the ebooks you buy as a Kindle Unlimited member? Is that percentage/savings usually significant? Sounds like a pretty nifty cost saving tool!
Jesscar6

Post by Jesscar6 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 17:09

I see. So you essentially save x% on the ebooks you buy as a Kindle Unlimited member? Is that percentage/savings usually significant? Sounds like a pretty nifty cost saving tool!
Normally for me, about 3 books a month and I've saved money with it.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:33
Vivianne Nat wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 03:52 I love going through book sales here in my country. I understand the idea of ebooks nowadays but then there is something special about holding a real book, being able to flip through its pages and melt with it rather than just holding your phone or gadget.

I have a mini library at home, and i get my books from Booksale or any other outlet who offers a cheaper price for books. It's even surprising at times when you prop open the pages of a second hand book and you find bookmarks or notes in it.
I agree! There's just something about a physical copy of a book...it's hard to explain it, but I just know it when I experience it! Is Booksale an online website that sells books? I'm not familiar with it.

I love the scent of the pages of a book.
Booksale is a physical shop. They don't have an online one. And they have a lot of books to choose from.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jesscar6 wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 05:30
ianbuchanan wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 17:09

Normally for me, about 3 books a month and I've saved money with it.
Got it. Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just new to the ebook scene and have a growing curiosity, and I'm also thrifty at heart haha :lol2: . How much do you typically pay for those three books?...obviously I'm sure it varies but any estimate would be helpful for me. Thanks!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Vivianne Nat wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 06:53
ianbuchanan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:33
Vivianne Nat wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 03:52 I love going through book sales here in my country. I understand the idea of ebooks nowadays but then there is something special about holding a real book, being able to flip through its pages and melt with it rather than just holding your phone or gadget.

I have a mini library at home, and i get my books from Booksale or any other outlet who offers a cheaper price for books. It's even surprising at times when you prop open the pages of a second hand book and you find bookmarks or notes in it.
I agree! There's just something about a physical copy of a book...it's hard to explain it, but I just know it when I experience it! Is Booksale an online website that sells books? I'm not familiar with it.

I love the scent of the pages of a book.
Booksale is a physical shop. They don't have an online one. And they have a lot of books to choose from.
Oh me too, just makes the experience so much more enjoyable for me! I see, are those just local stores by where you live? What area of the world are you living in?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”