Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

BoundlessLaughter
Currently Reading: Xenocide
Bookshelf Size: 324

Re: Best Way to Get Books?

Post by BoundlessLaughter »

I also get most of my reading material online. Which is really a very effective way since it's easy to search and download books compared to going all the way to the store to buy them. However, I do love the feel of the paper in the fingertips. So whenever I can I go to bookstores and purchase hardcopies of my favorite ebooks. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I am now a collector of out of print Star Trek TOS books. :)
ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ianbuchanan »

ValBookReviews wrote: โ†‘27 May 2018, 21:10
ianbuchanan wrote: โ†‘26 Apr 2018, 18:24
ValBookReviews wrote: โ†‘26 Apr 2018, 15:48
Yes, indeed it is! No less than one week and no more than two.
Awesome! I see...do you ever pay to get a book more quickly? Like you just have to have it now :techie-studyingbrown: !
Yes, once I download via Kindle Reader.
I see. How do you like your e-reader? I've been thinking about getting one myself for convenience sake.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

BoundlessLaughter wrote: โ†‘28 May 2018, 02:15 I also get most of my reading material online. Which is really a very effective way since it's easy to search and download books compared to going all the way to the store to buy them. However, I do love the feel of the paper in the fingertips. So whenever I can I go to bookstores and purchase hardcopies of my favorite ebooks. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I am now a collector of out of print Star Trek TOS books. :)
Cool! Thanks for sharing! Do you ever order print books online so you don't have to make the burdensome trip to the bookstore? Also, just curious, all things equal, do you like e-books or print books more?
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

ianbuchanan wrote: โ†‘29 May 2018, 15:57
ianbuchanan wrote: โ†‘26 Apr 2018, 18:24

Awesome! I see...do you ever pay to get a book more quickly? Like you just have to have it now :techie-studyingbrown: !
I see. How do you like your e-reader? I've been thinking about getting one myself for convenience sake.
I absolutely love it! I carry it everywhere I travel (on-the-go).
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ValBookReviews wrote: โ†‘29 May 2018, 20:03
Awesome! Which model do you have of the Kindle?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ianbuchanan wrote: โ†‘30 May 2018, 17:01

Also, are e-book prices on par with print book prices in your experience? Or do they differ?
RabidFox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RabidFox »

In my experience, Kindle can be significantly cheaper than the physical version. I bought the entire comic book collection of Planet of the Apes: Cataclysm for Kindle, which ended up being a whole lot cheaper than buying them in the physical format. Kindle was just two bucks for each issue. Otherwise, it's considerably more expensive. Another problem was that Amazon didn't have every issue in the physical version, so that I couldn't have got them any other way regardless. Sometimes, you don't even have a choice.

However, despite buying the comic books for Kindle, I used Kindle for PC to read them. I don't like actually reading comic books on the Kindle. It's really difficult. But Kindle PC is perfect for comics. You just have to read them in full screen mode. So not only can you read books on Kindle and in paperback or hardback, you can also use the computer. I have used Kindle to read things, but if the material is digital, I would much rather view it on the PC.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:

Kindle E-Reader - Black, 6".
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:

ianbuchanan wrote: โ†‘30 May 2018, 17:04
Also, are e-book prices on par with print book prices in your experience? Or do they differ?
I find that the prices are on point and differ slightly than print prices.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ValBookReviews wrote: โ†‘31 May 2018, 21:05
ianbuchanan wrote: โ†‘30 May 2018, 17:04

I find that the prices are on point and differ slightly than print prices.
I see, thanks!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

RabidFox wrote: โ†‘30 May 2018, 17:45 In my experience, Kindle can be significantly cheaper than the physical version. I bought the entire comic book collection of Planet of the Apes: Cataclysm for Kindle, which ended up being a whole lot cheaper than buying them in the physical format. Kindle was just two bucks for each issue. Otherwise, it's considerably more expensive. Another problem was that Amazon didn't have every issue in the physical version, so that I couldn't have got them any other way regardless. Sometimes, you don't even have a choice.

However, despite buying the comic books for Kindle, I used Kindle for PC to read them. I don't like actually reading comic books on the Kindle. It's really difficult. But Kindle PC is perfect for comics. You just have to read them in full screen mode. So not only can you read books on Kindle and in paperback or hardback, you can also use the computer. I have used Kindle to read things, but if the material is digital, I would much rather view it on the PC.
Thanks for sharing your experience! So overall, Kindle e-books are more expensive than their print counterparts? And interesting point about Kindle PC, I actually didn't know that really existed, seems that comic books would be the perfect use for it though!
RabidFox
Currently Reading:

Post by RabidFox »

ianbuchanan wrote: โ†‘01 Jun 2018, 08:45
RabidFox wrote: โ†‘30 May 2018, 17:45 In my experience, Kindle can be significantly cheaper than the physical version. I bought the entire comic book collection of Planet of the Apes: Cataclysm for Kindle, which ended up being a whole lot cheaper than buying them in the physical format. Kindle was just two bucks for each issue. Otherwise, it's considerably more expensive. Another problem was that Amazon didn't have every issue in the physical version, so that I couldn't have got them any other way regardless. Sometimes, you don't even have a choice.

Thanks for sharing your experience! So overall, Kindle e-books are more expensive than their print counterparts? And interesting point about Kindle PC, I actually didn't know that really existed, seems that comic books would be the perfect use for it though!
I'm sorry, I think that you misunderstood me. What I said was that Kindle tends to be less expensive than print. Or at least, in my experience that has been true.

But, yes, Kindle PC is wonderful. I'm very glad that it exists.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

RabidFox wrote: โ†‘01 Jun 2018, 14:44

I'm sorry, I think that you misunderstood me. What I said was that Kindle tends to be less expensive than print. Or at least, in my experience that has been true.

Oh, I see, thanks for clearing that up. How long have you had your Kindle?
RabidFox
Currently Reading:

Post by RabidFox »

ianbuchanan wrote: โ†‘01 Jun 2018, 15:34
RabidFox wrote: โ†‘01 Jun 2018, 14:44

Oh, I see, thanks for clearing that up. How long have you had your Kindle?
I bought my Kindle Fire in 2012, so well over five years. However, I have not used it much. But I do use Amazon all the time, and they always have the Kindle version of the book listed alongside the physical version. So I'm used to seeing both prices.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

My favorite buying spots are thrift, second-hand stores and yardsales. Huge variety with small costs. A lot of coffee shops have nice book swaps. If I was after a new release and wanted to cut my spending, I would try eBay and Amazon, there's bound to be someone selling off their copy at a discount.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt

Return to โ€œGeneral Book & Reading Discussionโ€