Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Best Way to Get Books?

Post by ianbuchanan »

Aryastark wrote: 03 May 2018, 00:16
ianbuchanan wrote: 02 May 2018, 16:53
Aryastark wrote: 02 May 2018, 09:55 Downloading free ebooks, going to used-book shops.. These two work for me just fine. Used to borrow from libraries, but do not have that much time nowadays.
Thanks for sharing! I love going to libraries but yes, it does take a good amount of time to travel to and from. Do you prefer ebooks to print books? Also, what do you like reading the most (genre, author, etc.)?
I prefer ebooks because of two reasons. First of all, they are cheaper and even free. There are lots of free ebooks available online, you just have to download them. Secondly, they are easy to carry around. I often read books while traveling to and from my workplace and I can read the electronic version using adobe reader or kindle app in my phone.

To answer your second question, I am sort of an omnivore as far as books are concerned. But I particularly like fantasy, thrillers, science fictions and horror stories. JK Rowling, GRR Martin, Dan Brown, Michael Crichton, Stephen King,Gillian Flynn are among my favourite authors, though the list actually goes on and on. Also I am planning to read more classic stories/novels and more non-fictions in the future.
I see, very good points about their low prices and portability. Do you listen to audio books at all? I personally have yet to try but I hear that they can be very convenient at certain times, although, can be tough to focus on with the many distractions we face every minute of our day.

Very cool! You seem to like a lot! Do you have a favorite book? Hard question, I know, but I'm curious :D
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

ianbuchanan wrote: 03 May 2018, 15:56
ianbuchanan wrote: 02 May 2018, 16:53

Thanks for sharing! I love going to libraries but yes, it does take a good amount of time to travel to and from. Do you prefer ebooks to print books? Also, what do you like reading the most (genre, author, etc.)?
I prefer ebooks because of two reasons. First of all, they are cheaper and even free. There are lots of free ebooks available online, you just have to download them. Secondly, they are easy to carry around. I often read books while traveling to and from my workplace and I can read the electronic version using adobe reader or kindle app in my phone.

To answer your second question, I am sort of an omnivore as far as books are concerned. But I particularly like fantasy, thrillers, science fictions and horror stories. JK Rowling, GRR Martin, Dan Brown, Michael Crichton, Stephen King,Gillian Flynn are among my favourite authors, though the list actually goes on and on. Also I am planning to read more classic stories/novels and more non-fictions in the future.
I see, very good points about their low prices and portability. Do you listen to audio books at all? I personally have yet to try but I hear that they can be very convenient at certain times, although, can be tough to focus on with the many distractions we face every minute of our day.

Very cool! You seem to like a lot! Do you have a favorite book? Hard question, I know, but I'm curious :D
Well, before I answer your first question, I will have to answer the second one. Even though I read all kinds of books, one series stayed with me since childhood, that is the Harry Potter series. So if I am asked to name just one book as my favourite, it will be the HP series, hands down!
Now to answer the first question, I have just started to listen to the audiobook of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I wanted to check how I feel about audiobooks and so I decided to start with my favourite one. So far I have found them useful in certain places where I could not read from my phone. But I never got the feel I get from reading a book, somehow the audiobook sounded monotonous. And you are right about it being tough to focus on, because I find that when I am listening to something I need to concentrate more than if I were reading it. I very often get distracted and miss paragraphs or feel sleepy, so basically it has not worked for me so far. But then again, if I chose a different book to listen to, my experience could possibly differ, so may be I should try more audiobooks before judging them.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Aryastark wrote: 04 May 2018, 04:17

Well, before I answer your first question, I will have to answer the second one. Even though I read all kinds of books, one series stayed with me since childhood, that is the Harry Potter series. So if I am asked to name just one book as my favourite, it will be the HP series, hands down!
Now to answer the first question, I have just started to listen to the audiobook of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I wanted to check how I feel about audiobooks and so I decided to start with my favourite one. So far I have found them useful in certain places where I could not read from my phone. But I never got the feel I get from reading a book, somehow the audiobook sounded monotonous. And you are right about it being tough to focus on, because I find that when I am listening to something I need to concentrate more than if I were reading it. I very often get distracted and miss paragraphs or feel sleepy, so basically it has not worked for me so far. But then again, if I chose a different book to listen to, my experience could possibly differ, so may be I should try more audiobooks before judging them.
Oh, what a great series! has to be one of, if not the most popular series ever written!

Your issues with audio books are exactly what I was expecting to hear from most of those that try them. I can imagine focusing at all times would just be too difficult and that would get frustrating. And, yes! I've also heard from other audio book listeners that a monotonous reader can ruin the experience. Hopefully these issues can be fixed, as I think audio books could be very convenient at certain times.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

ianbuchanan wrote: 04 May 2018, 16:42

Oh, what a great series! has to be one of, if not the most popular series ever written!

Your issues with audio books are exactly what I was expecting to hear from most of those that try them. I can imagine focusing at all times would just be too difficult and that would get frustrating. And, yes! I've also heard from other audio book listeners that a monotonous reader can ruin the experience. Hopefully these issues can be fixed, as I think audio books could be very convenient at certain times.
I certainly hope so. I'd add to like one more point, i.e.,there is a program in our local radio where crime, thriller, mystery and horror stories are narrated by a group of readers. Sound effects are superb, as are the voice modulations and expressions of the readers. You get the actual feel of the story. I have been listening to that program for years and they are a great success, at least in my city. May be the audiobooks could be more like those?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Aryastark wrote: 04 May 2018, 20:52
ianbuchanan wrote: 04 May 2018, 16:42

I certainly hope so. I'd add to like one more point, i.e.,there is a program in our local radio where crime, thriller, mystery and horror stories are narrated by a group of readers. Sound effects are superb, as are the voice modulations and expressions of the readers. You get the actual feel of the story. I have been listening to that program for years and they are a great success, at least in my city. May be the audiobooks could be more like those?
That sounds like exactly what every audio book should emulate! It would certainly help listeners stay focused and engaged. I do wonder why more audio books don't employ these tactics, but, come to think of it, these are probably added costs that the publishers may not feel are all that necessary. However, based on your experiences and what I've heard elsewhere, they sound like they could make all the difference.
kamali24

Post by kamali24 »

I feel borrowing a book is convenient to individuals who may not actually have Mooney to purchase, it may also keep the person focussed to read the book because he or she is supposed return it back.
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

ianbuchanan wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 14:40
Allie_L wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 18:59
ianbuchanan wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 16:46

I see, can;t be much more convenient than a block away! Do ever buy online? Many people I've talked to in this forum have given me great tips on where to look?
I don't by online, not because I'm opposed, but because I just love going to bookstores. My best-friend and I try to meet up at least once a week and our go-to meet up spot is a Chapters in our area with a Starbucks attached. So we usually will grab a coffee, sit and talk for a bit, then walk around the store for an hour.
Very cool! I also don't buy online, but mainly for cost concerns and the convenience of my local library. I do also love being surrounded by books, so much out there to learn and enjoy, and bookstores are the places for that! I've never heard of Chapters...is that a local chain in your area?
Chapters in Canada is like the Barnes and Noble of the US
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

kamali24 wrote: 06 May 2018, 05:02 I feel borrowing a book is convenient to individuals who may not actually have Mooney to purchase, it may also keep the person focussed to read the book because he or she is supposed return it back.
Agreed! Thanks for sharing! Do you visit libraries and borrow books often?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Allie_L wrote: 06 May 2018, 20:28
ianbuchanan wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 14:40
Allie_L wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 18:59

I don't by online, not because I'm opposed, but because I just love going to bookstores. My best-friend and I try to meet up at least once a week and our go-to meet up spot is a Chapters in our area with a Starbucks attached. So we usually will grab a coffee, sit and talk for a bit, then walk around the store for an hour.
Very cool! I also don't buy online, but mainly for cost concerns and the convenience of my local library. I do also love being surrounded by books, so much out there to learn and enjoy, and bookstores are the places for that! I've never heard of Chapters...is that a local chain in your area?
Chapters in Canada is like the Barnes and Noble of the US
Ohhh, makes sense! Thanks for the clarification!
sunsol29
Currently Reading: River God
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by sunsol29 »

Hi. I have recently joined the forum. I used to get books from a local library but over a period of time, all libraries in my vicinity shut down so I used to browse and purchase used books. But now I have adjusted to read eBooks and there are plenty of sites which offer free download of even books by popular authors. So I have built up an impressive collection and continue building on it
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

sunsol29 wrote: 08 May 2018, 01:48 Hi. I have recently joined the forum. I used to get books from a local library but over a period of time, all libraries in my vicinity shut down so I used to browse and purchase used books. But now I have adjusted to read eBooks and there are plenty of sites which offer free download of even books by popular authors. So I have built up an impressive collection and continue building on it
Welcome and thanks for sharing! Oh what a bummer with the libraries shutting down! What sites do you primarily find your ebooks from? I'm aware of several and they do provide some great benefits!
sunsol29
Currently Reading: River God
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by sunsol29 »

I generally download eBooks from Torrents and from a wonderful website that was recommended by a friend which allows you to download free ebooks by well known authors. I have built up a collection of 250+ books both old and new and am loving re-reading the books that I had read long ago😃
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

sunsol29 wrote: 09 May 2018, 23:26 I generally download eBooks from Torrents and from a wonderful website that was recommended by a friend which allows you to download free ebooks by well known authors. I have built up a collection of 250+ books both old and new and am loving re-reading the books that I had read long ago😃
Very cool! What is that website called? I'm all for free books! Do you ever use your local library? Just curious...they're great places to get free physical books if you read more than just digital books!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ianbuchanan wrote: 11 May 2018, 14:49
sunsol29 wrote: 09 May 2018, 23:26 I generally download eBooks from Torrents and from a wonderful website that was recommended by a friend which allows you to download free ebooks by well known authors. I have built up a collection of 250+ books both old and new and am loving re-reading the books that I had read long ago😃
Very cool! What is that website called? I'm all for free books! Do you ever use your local library? Just curious...they're great places to get free physical books if you read more than just digital books!
My apologies, I see from a previous post that your local libraries were shut down, that's so unfortunate! Did you use to visit them frequently?
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

ianbuchanan wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 18:24
ValBookReviews wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 15:48
ianbuchanan wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 17:12

Is that $25 rule true for all amazon purchases? If so, that's great to know! How quickly can you get your books delivered for free?
Yes, indeed it is! No less than one week and no more than two.
Awesome! I see...do you ever pay to get a book more quickly? Like you just have to have it now :techie-studyingbrown: !
Yes, once I download via Kindle Reader.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”