Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Best Way to Get Books?

Post by ianbuchanan »

rave_2 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 14:23
ianbuchanan wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 20:38
rave_2 wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 17:07

That actually sounds pretty cool.
I think so too! I just think books could be provided for cheap and brought right to the reader, seems like a no-brainer because library books are free and the only charge would be for delivery.
Exactly!
A main issue might be, however, getting the approval of libraries, as the service would in essence bring the library's books to library "members" and "non-members" alike, which could cause some uneasiness with the libraries. I'd have to figure out a way to construct a mutually beneficial relationship. Any ideas you have would be fantastic to hear!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Libs_Books wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 09:18 I enjoy looking for books in charity shops. Usually, they just have a couple of shelves and the selection is a bit random, but we're lucky to have two dedicated charity bookshops in this town - both really well-organised. It's quite rare to go and look for a specific book and actually find it, but it's a great way of finding something that turns out to be an unexpected pleasure.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing! Do you frequent any local libraries that may have a larger selection? I know, personally, libraries have been a great source of books, and they're free, which is always a nice perk!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ianbuchanan wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 01:17
Gravy wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 06:16
ianbuchanan wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 15:57

I understand what you mean about ebooks, I often feel the same way. Used books seem to be the absolute way to go! They're inexpensive and relatively just as available as new books. I know I'm a cost-conscious consumer, books being no exceptions, would you describe yourself as the same? I just feel that there are just so many ways to obtain the same book, why not use what costs the least! Also, do you ever come across a new release that you just have to have now? In which case, used book stores may not carry it quite yet...where do you typically go to get that book?
I certainly try to be.

As for new books, it depends. This is more likely to happen with indie authors, which can sometimes only be purchased through Amazon.
Personally, I'm more likely to get a book new if I want to support the author. In that case, I go by whatever option is the easiest/cheapest.

But used book stores and other used options really are the best for me. I tend to go on different kicks with my reading, which means I mostly wind up reading books that have been out for awhile.

And I forgot one of the best ways to get books. Borrowing! Thank goodness for people to share books with, and who share books with you! (Who don't destroy/keep your books. :lol: )
Do ever sacrifice low costs, such as books from used book stores, for the convenience of online ordering, allowing you to not have to make a trip to the book store? Or does the conscious price consumer in you always rear its head and find the lowest price no matter what?
Thankfully, unless I want a book "RIGHT NOW", I don't need to be in a rush. I have a good stockpile of books that I've yet to read.
Even if I want something "RIGHT NOW" I tend to be patient and wait, so yeah...
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

ianbuchanan wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 18:03 Do you frequent any local libraries that may have a larger selection? I know, personally, libraries have been a great source of books, and they're free, which is always a nice perk!
Yes, the local library is very good, but many older books are archived - you can still get them by using the catalogue, but you're less likely to stumble across them while browsing.
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

ianbuchanan wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 17:59
ScoutWrites wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 09:03
ianbuchanan wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 20:47

I can certainly see the benefits of e-readers! The convenience and portability are hard to beat! But, like you, I like the tangible nature of print books as well and pretty much only read print books exclusively. Do you like the feature of e-readers that basically allows you to get a new book without having to go anywhere and pretty much instantly? I feel like that is a major benefit and selling point.
Ugh yeah, I had to return a print library book yesterday after leaving it in my car and biking to work. If that had been a digital copy it would have just disappeared on its own. So that feature goes both ways.
Yeah...an inconvenience at time for sure. I've been there too. I've been pondering the idea of a library book delivery service, that could also pick and return the book when the reader is finished. Seems like it would wipe away many of the inconveniences associated with obtaining print books, from libraries, book stores, etc. What do you think of that idea?
I think it would be a great idea for people who can't get out of their homes easily or have trouble making it to the library. The problem is, would the library be willing to implement something like that? Something about them being run by the government makes me skeptical that they would spend money on such a program. I could see them arguing that the service isn't necessary because e-books exist.

Maybe if an outside company provided the service, kind of like a GrubHub for books? I don't know.

Also I wouldn't personally use the service. Inconvenient or not, I honestly love going to the library.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 18:01
ianbuchanan wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 20:38

I think so too! I just think books could be provided for cheap and brought right to the reader, seems like a no-brainer because library books are free and the only charge would be for delivery.
Exactly!
A main issue might be, however, getting the approval of libraries, as the service would in essence bring the library's books to library "members" and "non-members" alike, which could cause some uneasiness with the libraries. I'd have to figure out a way to construct a mutually beneficial relationship. Any ideas you have would be fantastic to hear!
I'm sure they might. If I have any ideas, I'll let you know!
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Pmoser
Currently Reading: The Colonels
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Pmoser »

I am an avid reader and book collector. I rarely pay full price for anything, so I frequent second-hand stores for my books. Half Price Books is a favorite. I also buy a lot from Goodwill and other thrift stores. I've come across several amazing deals and finds at estate sales. Signed first edition of Jurassic Park for $0.50 is probably the best find I've come across. Some people just don't realize what they have.
ReaderTeacher
Currently Reading: Dead Fix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerteacher.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by ReaderTeacher »

Thriftbooks is also an excellent place to order second-hand books at a discounted price. You can decide how much you are willing to pay and choose the quality of the book you want (some are very used library books while others are in like new condition). The best part is that as you buy, you earn credits back, so you can get even more books!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

There are many websites that give you information about free and discounted ebooks. Bookbub, ebooksoda, the fussy librarian, eBook news today. Just a couple to check out.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 19:05 There are many websites that give you information about free and discounted ebooks. Bookbub, ebooksoda, the fussy librarian, eBook news today. Just a couple to check out.
I haven't heard of these, thanks for sharing!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Gravy wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 22:21
ianbuchanan wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 01:17
Gravy wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 06:16

I certainly try to be.

As for new books, it depends. This is more likely to happen with indie authors, which can sometimes only be purchased through Amazon.
Personally, I'm more likely to get a book new if I want to support the author. In that case, I go by whatever option is the easiest/cheapest.

But used book stores and other used options really are the best for me. I tend to go on different kicks with my reading, which means I mostly wind up reading books that have been out for awhile.

And I forgot one of the best ways to get books. Borrowing! Thank goodness for people to share books with, and who share books with you! (Who don't destroy/keep your books. :lol: )
Do ever sacrifice low costs, such as books from used book stores, for the convenience of online ordering, allowing you to not have to make a trip to the book store? Or does the conscious price consumer in you always rear its head and find the lowest price no matter what?
Thankfully, unless I want a book "RIGHT NOW", I don't need to be in a rush. I have a good stockpile of books that I've yet to read.
Even if I want something "RIGHT NOW" I tend to be patient and wait, so yeah...
Got it, thanks for sharing. Just curious...how long have you been compiling your literary stockpile? How often do you find yourself reading those books that you've amassed?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Libs_Books wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 03:25
ianbuchanan wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 18:03 Do you frequent any local libraries that may have a larger selection? I know, personally, libraries have been a great source of books, and they're free, which is always a nice perk!
Yes, the local library is very good, but many older books are archived - you can still get them by using the catalogue, but you're less likely to stumble across them while browsing.
Right...do you typically get your next book by browsing and looking for something then and there? Or, rather, do you usually know what book you want in mind before going to get it from, say, a library?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ScoutWrites wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 07:03
ianbuchanan wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 17:59
ScoutWrites wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 09:03

Ugh yeah, I had to return a print library book yesterday after leaving it in my car and biking to work. If that had been a digital copy it would have just disappeared on its own. So that feature goes both ways.
Yeah...an inconvenience at time for sure. I've been there too. I've been pondering the idea of a library book delivery service, that could also pick and return the book when the reader is finished. Seems like it would wipe away many of the inconveniences associated with obtaining print books, from libraries, book stores, etc. What do you think of that idea?
I think it would be a great idea for people who can't get out of their homes easily or have trouble making it to the library. The problem is, would the library be willing to implement something like that? Something about them being run by the government makes me skeptical that they would spend money on such a program. I could see them arguing that the service isn't necessary because e-books exist.

Maybe if an outside company provided the service, kind of like a GrubHub for books? I don't know.

Also I wouldn't personally use the service. Inconvenient or not, I honestly love going to the library.
Awesome feedback, thanks! Yes! The idea was to have an outside company perform the service with the library's approval. I too enjoy going to the library! However, as you were saying, some are unable, and today, so many people love the perks associated with delivery. Also, I've had this thought, but I'd love to hear your opinion...do you think a service like this, aimed at the "masses" could increase readership but reducing some of the effort associated with obtaining books?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

rave_2 wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 09:58
ianbuchanan wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 18:01

Exactly!
I'm sure they might. If I have any ideas, I'll let you know!
Great, please do! Thank you!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Pmoser wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 10:31 I am an avid reader and book collector. I rarely pay full price for anything, so I frequent second-hand stores for my books. Half Price Books is a favorite. I also buy a lot from Goodwill and other thrift stores. I've come across several amazing deals and finds at estate sales. Signed first edition of Jurassic Park for $0.50 is probably the best find I've come across. Some people just don't realize what they have.
Wow, great to know that such deals are out there! Do you use these methods to get all of your books? Or, do you at times use more streamlined services, like Amazon? I appreciate your thrift! I use the library all the time now, which is free!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”