Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Best Way to Get Books?

Post by ianbuchanan »

Kareka88 wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 16:31 ianbuchanan, first and foremost, digital books are cheaper to buy considering you want to keep them. They don't take up nearly as much storage space. You can adjust the font size easily. My Kindle fits in my purse and is easy to carry. I also have the Kindle app on my phone, so I am never without a book. And I don't have to tote a massive tome around wherever I go. However, saying all of this, there are times that I do enjoy a "real" book now and then. I may get a hankering in my brain that I want to settle in and read a nice long story so I will buy a print book. When on vacation, print books are delightful companions to have along.
Thanks for sharing! Looks like we're kind of having the same conversation in another forum...let's just keep it going there instead of in both places for the convenience of both of us!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Miercoles wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 16:48 I have made great use of my Kindle, and there are tons of free books on Amazon. Some of them are very good. Some authors give you one book for free, and once you are hooked on the characters you will be more willing to pay for other novels in the series.
Interesting, thanks for sharing! Do you read exclusively e-books (and not print)? Also, if you prefer e-books to physical books, what do you like most about e-book reading experience versus that when reading a physical book? I'd love to know how others feel about this "debate"!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Juliar252 wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 18:04 The library or a Half-Price Bookstore!
I myself am also an avid library-goer! Now, Half-Price Bookstores are physical stores correct? Are they only in certain areas of the county?
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

Yes they are stores and unfortunately they are only in certain cities. Every time I go to a different city I always check and see if the have one because while I love the library, I love owning books so I can write in them and reread them. Most books at the store range from $3-$10 and they also sell magazines for less than $1!
Seth018
Currently Reading: Tai Solarin
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Seth018 »

I bought most of my books from book stores.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

My recent purchases have been online, but sometimes I'd still prefer to go to a bookstore to buy it myself - it's a cheap thrill for me. :D Even though I have a particular book in mind when I go in, I still enjoy browsing through the shelves and see what other bookworms are into. When I do purchase online, though, it's usually an e-book so I get to read it ASAP.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Juliar252 wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 05:46 Yes they are stores and unfortunately they are only in certain cities. Every time I go to a different city I always check and see if the have one because while I love the library, I love owning books so I can write in them and reread them. Most books at the store range from $3-$10 and they also sell magazines for less than $1!
Gotcha. Sounds like you can find some great deals! Do you ever buy books online?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Seth018 wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 20:29 I bought most of my books from book stores.
Awesome! Do you have any issues with bookstores (prices, getting to the bookstore, others...)?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

zarah_ wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 19:42 My recent purchases have been online, but sometimes I'd still prefer to go to a bookstore to buy it myself - it's a cheap thrill for me. :D Even though I have a particular book in mind when I go in, I still enjoy browsing through the shelves and see what other bookworms are into. When I do purchase online, though, it's usually an e-book so I get to read it ASAP.
Cool! So it sounds like you value price and expedience, would that be true? Would you say you buy online more because of the convenience, versus making the trip to the bookstore?
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

It's sad that the library where I live has a very small collection of books. So I just end up buying bks in stores but I recently discovered the ease with which to buy from Book Depository and I think I'll be switching to this from now on.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

If you are a regular reader like me, I suggest buying them online. Saves time and effort in going to a store or library everytime. also, a lot of services allow you to borrow books online.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Since I mostly read on my kindle, I always get my books online. It's more convenient and less time-consuming.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by spencermack »

Purchasing in the store is my preference.

Holding the book that is about to take you on a journey. Then you visit the holder of the book, the person allowing you the opportunity to go on an adventure. once you get through that 45 seconds of anticipation, the book is yours and the journey has begun.
Spencer Mack
jmanansala
Currently Reading:

Post by jmanansala »

My primary method of getting books is from thriftbooks. The website is budget-friendly, and even their "acceptable" books are still in relatively good condition. I'm not too picky when it comes to the condition of my books; in fact, I prefer getting a used copy of a book, something I feel less guilty to tug around everywhere. On the other hand, I also check out books from my local library, my secondary source of books. I stress over keeping library books as pristine as I can.
Cristina Biel
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Cristina Biel »

I think I've had like seasons; there was a time I'd rent them at the library. Before that, I could afford some books to buy, but after the library phase I bought a Kindle so I started purchasing and reading online. If I had to choose, I would say that at this very moment I prefer e-reading methods, but I always miss the book-feeling of a heavy book in my purse or the smell of pages of an old book borrowed from the library.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”