Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Re: Best Way to Get Books?

Post by Allie_L »

I started buying my books about ten years ago when I was in my early years or high school. I was never good with getting my books back by the library deadline, and I didn't (and still don't) like the idea of using an e-reader. Besides I love the idea of having a large collection, if not a library, of books when I'm old.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 19:50
Oh me too, just makes the experience so much more enjoyable for me! I see, are those just local stores by where you live? What area of the world are you living in?
I live in the Philippines. The store Booksale is scattered all over the main city, Metro Manila. They have different branches all over the area, most can be found inside the big malls. I see to it that i check every now and then. But since they have a lot of books, choosing which one to get takes time. 😀

How about you, where are you from? And where do you usually get your books?
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

As an average, maybe £3 each. Which ends up costing more than the UK subscription that month.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

All of the above.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ianbuchanan »

Allie_L wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 21:39 I started buying my books about ten years ago when I was in my early years or high school. I was never good with getting my books back by the library deadline, and I didn't (and still don't) like the idea of using an e-reader. Besides I love the idea of having a large collection, if not a library, of books when I'm old.
Awesome, thanks for sharing! How long is your library deadline? For my local library it is 3 weeks, which works well for my reading pace and schedule. And yes, I agree, having a personal library is something I also desire, some books may be just to good to rent and return!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Vivianne Nat wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 22:55
ianbuchanan wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 19:50
Oh me too, just makes the experience so much more enjoyable for me! I see, are those just local stores by where you live? What area of the world are you living in?
I live in the Philippines. The store Booksale is scattered all over the main city, Metro Manila. They have different branches all over the area, most can be found inside the big malls. I see to it that i check every now and then. But since they have a lot of books, choosing which one to get takes time. 😀

How about you, where are you from? And where do you usually get your books?
I see, very cool! Yes! Choosing a book can be just so difficult sometimes :eusa-think: ! I live in the United States and am fortunate enough to have a great local library system where I can rent books out for free. Do you have something similar where you live?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jesscar6 wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 04:09 As an average, maybe £3 each. Which ends up costing more than the UK subscription that month.
Not too shabby! So you pay for the subscription and the roughly £9 per month? I hate to sound foolish, but I just wanted to clarify! :lol:
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

See_B00kReaDs wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 07:32 All of the above.
Thanks for sharing! What's your favorite way to get books? Also, what do you enjoy reading the most (genre, author, etc.)? I'm always curious to learn of other's interests!
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

ianbuchanan wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 15:12
Allie_L wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 21:39 I started buying my books about ten years ago when I was in my early years or high school. I was never good with getting my books back by the library deadline, and I didn't (and still don't) like the idea of using an e-reader. Besides I love the idea of having a large collection, if not a library, of books when I'm old.
Awesome, thanks for sharing! How long is your library deadline? For my local library it is 3 weeks, which works well for my reading pace and schedule. And yes, I agree, having a personal library is something I also desire, some books may be just to good to rent and return!
I think my public library was something like 3 weeks as well, although at the time I was maybe 14 and couldn't drive along with a very busy home life, so returning books often got forgotten. Meanwhile a bookstore was a block over from my school, so I used to go there during my lunch.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 15:14
I see, very cool! Yes! Choosing a book can be just so difficult sometimes :eusa-think: ! I live in the United States and am fortunate enough to have a great local library system where I can rent books out for free. Do you have something similar where you live?
That is very nice indeed that you have a place where you can rent out books. Prevents you from buying and buying new ones.

We have local libraries too but what they usually have are books used in schools. They don't have much options for fictions. And I haven't tried borrowing books out of it.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Jesscar6

Post by Jesscar6 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 15:18
Jesscar6 wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 04:09 As an average, maybe £3 each. Which ends up costing more than the UK subscription that month.
Not too shabby! So you pay for the subscription and the roughly £9 per month? I hate to sound foolish, but I just wanted to clarify! :lol:
Think it's £8 a month
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Allie_L wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 17:40
ianbuchanan wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 15:12
I think my public library was something like 3 weeks as well, although at the time I was maybe 14 and couldn't drive along with a very busy home life, so returning books often got forgotten. Meanwhile a bookstore was a block over from my school, so I used to go there during my lunch.
I see, can;t be much more convenient than a block away! Do ever buy online? Many people I've talked to in this forum have given me great tips on where to look?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Vivianne Nat wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 00:19
ianbuchanan wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 15:14
That is very nice indeed that you have a place where you can rent out books. Prevents you from buying and buying new ones.

We have local libraries too but what they usually have are books used in schools. They don't have much options for fictions. And I haven't tried borrowing books out of it.
Certainly can help me save some money, yes. I see...so there's really no choice but to buy your books?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jesscar6 wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 03:31
Think it's £8 a month
And you get as many ebooks as you'd like for just the £8 a month? If so, that's quite the deal!
Jesscar6

Post by Jesscar6 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 16:50
Jesscar6 wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 03:31

Think it's £8 a month
And you get as many ebooks as you'd like for just the £8 a month? If so, that's quite the deal!
Anything which is on Kindle Unlimited. You can have up to 10 at a time. Then you just swap them back for another

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”