Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Re: Best Way to Get Books?

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

ianbuchanan wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 08:41
ValBookReviews wrote: 31 May 2018, 21:05
ianbuchanan wrote: 30 May 2018, 17:04

Also, are e-book prices on par with print book prices in your experience? Or do they differ?
I find that the prices are on point and differ slightly than print prices.
I see, thanks!
:tiphat:
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

The Turning Wheels was about the Dutch pioneers in South Africa and All This and Heaven Too is the story of the governess at the heart of the scandal that finally brought down the ruling class in France.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Rhianne
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhianne.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rhianne »

I will go in store for a physical copy if there's a particular book I really want, otherwise I stick to e-books.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I'm a writer and a musician, which means I don't make enough money to actually buy books or music (or go to many concerts). I was a poor kid, too. So I suspect that at least 95 percent of the books I've read in my lifetime were borrowed from the library. This is why I always vote YES for every local levy supporting libraries. When I find a book I absolutely love, I will I'll try to buy it at a local bookstore or through the website for a local bookstore, because I also believe in supporting local bookstores! But it the cost is just too much, my final choice is Amazon.
ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ianbuchanan »

thaservices1 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 18:37 The Turning Wheels was about the Dutch pioneers in South Africa and All This and Heaven Too is the story of the governess at the heart of the scandal that finally brought down the ruling class in France.
Both sound very interesting!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Rhianne wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 20:17 I will go in store for a physical copy if there's a particular book I really want, otherwise I stick to e-books.
Thanks for sharing! How do you like e-books? I've heard mixed reviews in these forums.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Dael Reader wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 16:51 I'm a writer and a musician, which means I don't make enough money to actually buy books or music (or go to many concerts). I was a poor kid, too. So I suspect that at least 95 percent of the books I've read in my lifetime were borrowed from the library. This is why I always vote YES for every local levy supporting libraries. When I find a book I absolutely love, I will I'll try to buy it at a local bookstore or through the website for a local bookstore, because I also believe in supporting local bookstores! But it the cost is just too much, my final choice is Amazon.
Thanks for sharing! I too, essentially exclusively, use libraries as my sole form of getting books...just can't beat free books! Only minor inconvenience I experience is traveling to and from the library every week or so to get my next book...that's where online ordering shows its perks.
Rhianne

Post by Rhianne »

ianbuchanan wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 11:54
Rhianne wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 20:17 I will go in store for a physical copy if there's a particular book I really want, otherwise I stick to e-books.
Thanks for sharing! How do you like e-books? I've heard mixed reviews in these forums.
They get a lot of flak but, for me, they can't be beaten for convenience. I read quickly and I travel quite a bit to visit family, so carrying one Kindle is vastly superior to lugging around 3-4 novels when I'm carrying a bag on my shoulder. I'd always choose a physical book in my hands if it were affordable and convenient but often that's not the case! I rather wish I had better library options!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Rhianne wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 12:04
They get a lot of flak but, for me, they can't be beaten for convenience. I read quickly and I travel quite a bit to visit family, so carrying one Kindle is vastly superior to lugging around 3-4 novels when I'm carrying a bag on my shoulder. I'd always choose a physical book in my hands if it were affordable and convenient but often that's not the case! I rather wish I had better library options!
I can definitely see the convenience when traveling! I too love physical books, but I often don't read all too much when traveling or out of the house. I love my local library for allowing me to get any book I really want for free...do you not have any close by or are their selections limited?
Rhianne

Post by Rhianne »

ianbuchanan wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 17:21

I can definitely see the convenience when traveling! I too love physical books, but I often don't read all too much when traveling or out of the house. I love my local library for allowing me to get any book I really want for free...do you not have any close by or are their selections limited?
Unfortunately not! I used to love my local library but since I moved across the country it's not feasible for me since I don't drive. The nearest one is for local university students only. :(
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Rhianne wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 00:47
ianbuchanan wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 17:21

Unfortunately not! I used to love my local library but since I moved across the country it's not feasible for me since I don't drive. The nearest one is for local university students only. :(
Oh, bummer! Hopefully, you end up living near one or several at some point in the future!
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month

Post by gregs317 »

Purchasing online is my #1 choice, particularly on Amazon. Since I have Amazon prime, I can often get free 2-day shipping, which is great.
JoeyG01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by JoeyG01 »

I use a mixture of all options. I buy books online, buy books from bookstores if I'm browsing and see something I like. I also rent from my local library, they have a huge selection, not only to rent in person but they also have the option to rent ebooks.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

gregs317 wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 17:31 Purchasing online is my #1 choice, particularly on Amazon. Since I have Amazon prime, I can often get free 2-day shipping, which is great.
Yeah, Amazon Prime definitely makes that worth it! Do you typically pay low prices?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

JoeyG01 wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 09:53 I use a mixture of all options. I buy books online, buy books from bookstores if I'm browsing and see something I like. I also rent from my local library, they have a huge selection, not only to rent in person but they also have the option to rent ebooks.
Sounds great! I'm curious, what's your favorite way to get your books...say you could only choose one method, what would it be? And why?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”