Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Re: Best Way to Get Books?

Post by KasieMiehlke »

ianbuchanan wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 16:50
KasieMiehlke wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 08:56
ianbuchanan wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 16:30

Awesome, do you prefer to own versus rent books? I know every avid reader probably aspires to build their own library at some point :lol:
I prefer to own them.
I certainly like to own some as well if I know I'll want to return to them time and again. Do you often re-read some of your favorite books?
I re-read books all the time.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

I go to the book store but the problem is the availability of the book most of the time they don't have the books I am looking for but if I wanted to shop for no particular books I can just drop by there's a lot of books to choose from there, or I can do it online.
What goes around comes around
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

ianbuchanan wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 15:54
ValBookReviews wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 12:44
ianbuchanan wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 20:37

Thanks for sharing! Is that primarily for cost reasons? Where do you typically buy from?
No problem! Yes, mainly for the cost. I usually, of course, typically buy them from Amazon.
A great low cost option! Is the shipping charge usually an added cost for you? Or do you have Amazon Prime or just select standard shipping to minimize costs? I know that, not being a Prime member, if I want a book fast I have to pay a good amount for the book to be delivered quickly. One of the few unfortunate points about Amazon in my opinion.
Agreed! And, Yes, there is usually a shipping cost, thus is why I wait until my cart exceeds $25 to receive free shipping and No, I'm not an Amazon Prime member.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ianbuchanan »

KasieMiehlke wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 18:15
KasieMiehlke wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 08:56
I prefer to own them.
I certainly like to own some as well if I know I'll want to return to them time and again. Do you often re-read some of your favorite books?
Nice! What are some of your favorites?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Snowhite189 wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 21:12 I go to the book store but the problem is the availability of the book most of the time they don't have the books I am looking for but if I wanted to shop for no particular books I can just drop by there's a lot of books to choose from there, or I can do it online.
Right, I know what you mean, thanks for sharing. Do you have libraries near by where you live? I'd imagine they may have some of the availability problems as well, but may be worth a shot? Are you typically looking for lesser-known books or do your local book stores just lack in their general selection?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ValBookReviews wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 09:01
ValBookReviews wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 12:44
No problem! Yes, mainly for the cost. I usually, of course, typically buy them from Amazon.
A great low cost option! Is the shipping charge usually an added cost for you? Or do you have Amazon Prime or just select standard shipping to minimize costs? I know that, not being a Prime member, if I want a book fast I have to pay a good amount for the book to be delivered quickly. One of the few unfortunate points about Amazon in my opinion.
Agreed! And, Yes, there is usually a shipping cost, thus is why I wait until my cart exceeds $25 to receive free shipping and No, I'm not an Amazon Prime member.
Is that $25 rule true for all amazon purchases? If so, that's great to know! How quickly can you get your books delivered for free?
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

Ebooks are way more affordable now so I'd go for online. However, if it's a book written by my favorite author, I'd go to bookstores to purchase a physical copy.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

[/i][/i]
ianbuchanan wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 17:09

Of Mice and Men, Elantris, The Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglas, and Their Eyes Were Watching God are my favorites to re-read.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

ianbuchanan wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 17:12

Is that $25 rule true for all amazon purchases? If so, that's great to know! How quickly can you get your books delivered for free?
Yes, indeed it is! No less than one week and no more than two.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

KasieMiehlke wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 08:27 [/i][/i]
ianbuchanan wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 17:09
Of Mice and Men, Elantris, The Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglas, and Their Eyes Were Watching God are my favorites to re-read.
I've read Of Mice and Men and Their Eyes Were Watching God...both phenomenal books!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ValBookReviews wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 15:48
ianbuchanan wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 17:12
Yes, indeed it is! No less than one week and no more than two.
Awesome! I see...do you ever pay to get a book more quickly? Like you just have to have it now :techie-studyingbrown: !
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

jvez wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 17:28 Ebooks are way more affordable now so I'd go for online. However, if it's a book written by my favorite author, I'd go to bookstores to purchase a physical copy.
All else equal, would you prefer physical copies or e-books? Personally, I have access to my local library which provides a great selection, so I can get physical books, which I definitely prefer, for free!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Downloading free ebooks, going to used-book shops.. These two work for me just fine. Used to borrow from libraries, but do not have that much time nowadays.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Aryastark wrote: 02 May 2018, 09:55 Downloading free ebooks, going to used-book shops.. These two work for me just fine. Used to borrow from libraries, but do not have that much time nowadays.
Thanks for sharing! I love going to libraries but yes, it does take a good amount of time to travel to and from. Do you prefer ebooks to print books? Also, what do you like reading the most (genre, author, etc.)?
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

ianbuchanan wrote: 02 May 2018, 16:53
Aryastark wrote: 02 May 2018, 09:55 Downloading free ebooks, going to used-book shops.. These two work for me just fine. Used to borrow from libraries, but do not have that much time nowadays.
Thanks for sharing! I love going to libraries but yes, it does take a good amount of time to travel to and from. Do you prefer ebooks to print books? Also, what do you like reading the most (genre, author, etc.)?
I prefer ebooks because of two reasons. First of all, they are cheaper and even free. There are lots of free ebooks available online, you just have to download them. Secondly, they are easy to carry around. I often read books while traveling to and from my workplace and I can read the electronic version using adobe reader or kindle app in my phone.

To answer your second question, I am sort of an omnivore as far as books are concerned. But I particularly like fantasy, thrillers, science fictions and horror stories. JK Rowling, GRR Martin, Dan Brown, Michael Crichton, Stephen King,Gillian Flynn are among my favourite authors, though the list actually goes on and on. Also I am planning to read more classic stories/novels and more non-fictions in the future.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”