How much do book covers affect you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Rumbly
Favorite Book: Warlock of the Magus World Series
Bookshelf Size: 25

Re: How much do book covers affect you?

Post by Rumbly »

I judge the book by cover a lot as it catches my attention first.
I have read things that I normally would never read just because I found the cover attractive.

However lately I'm reading web novels which usually don't have covers so I guess the cover is not as important for me.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I have been drawn to books because of their cover. However, I always read the information provided at the back of a book before buying it.
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Eclectic_novels »

It is terrible but I will initially pick up a book because of the cover and how it speaks to me. Then I will read and make a choice from there. I am sure that I am missing out on some wonderful books. I find that often I only read books with covers that don't appeal to me because someone has given me their recommendation.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I love a beautiful cover. It's just me. Aesthetically pleasing covers draw me in. I feel like the story starts with the cover. But I must admit, I have been pleasantly surprised by books with awful covers but great stories. One of my favourite series has the worst covers but I love them so much. :))
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

I really try not to judge the book by its cover but sometimes, the cover grabs you and sucks you in so fast you just have to explore the book. That's actually what they are designed to do so it's kind of hard to ignore them. But, if I'm looking for a specific author or the title of a recommended book, the cover doesn't really have that much of an impact.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

If the cover of the book doesn't look appealing to me I probably wouldn't even think twice about it. I just flat out won't pick it up. Sometimes the book cover doesn't even really have to have an eye-catching cover, sometimes the texture or color of a plain book is nice. The ones that usually put me off are the ones that offer a sort of animated cover with an animation style I don't like. I wouldn't buy a book solely on the cover though I'd be afraid of regretting it.
StephanieCorinne22
Currently Reading: Counted Righteous in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephaniecorinne22.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by StephanieCorinne22 »

Yes! I have definitely bought books just for their cover. I am a sucker for old looking books with old time covers. I have found, though, that the content is usually wonderful. I enjoy books from the late 1800s and early 1900s. I also love children's books from that era. The covers and illustrations are usually just gorgeous.
NSehra
Currently Reading: Cinderella and Colonel
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by NSehra »

A book cover does intrigue me but then I do my research and find out if it's any good before buying it๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‹
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

Book covers are so important to me. If I don't like the cover, I won't buy the book.
ahmaria
Currently Reading: Beloved
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahmaria.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by ahmaria »

Honestly, they do affect me to a certain extent. I think less is more with a cover, so if there's too much going on or it's egregiously ugly or busy, I'm compelled to stay away from the book, especially if I know nothing else about it. Sometimes, I won't ever pick it up to read the summary.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I don't think I've ever purchased a book solely for its cover, but I have been put off from buying because of the cover. Unfortunately, some of them just look too cheap or not enough care put into them that I don't feel like reading that book.
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by MikleoKrein »

There's a saying 'Don't judge the book by its cover'.

Well, I do judge the book by its cover. Happens most of the time because I lack the time to simply browse the bookshelves. If the cover doesn't catch my attention, I bypass the book. I mostly check out books with interesting covers.

I know I'm not the only one with this habit, that's why I think covers are very important when you're looking to publish a book.

On the other hand, I also check out reviews online and some books with covers I thought uninteresting at first will get bought by me anyway.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I haven't bought a book because I love the cover, but I've certainly checked out books that have a gorgeous cover that looks really enticing.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

While I will pick up books with covers that catch my eye, I actually love simple, plain covers. Something about them just draws me to them. They make me curious as to what's in the pages of the book, especially if the book is old.
โ€œLive, and be happy, and make others so.โ€
โ€• Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

A lot more than I thought! I usually pick up a book if the cover and title is enticing enough. A cover gives you a lot of information about the book, I think.

Return to โ€œGeneral Book & Reading Discussionโ€