Do you remember what turned you into a reader?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mammacd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mammacd.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Do you remember what turned you into a reader?

Post by Mammacd »

We all wonder about people. Whether specific people, or in general. I wonder what and when readers became readers. Was it a certain book? A memory of a person linked to a book? Maybe it was because books removed them from unpleasant circumstances.

I know that I've been a lover of all things books since I was a child. My Dad tells me I could read to myself when I was 2. When I packed to go anywhere, I always took a book.This I do not remember. But what I do know is my toddler years were hard. I remember the merging of 2 families in my younger years making 4 kids 10 and 1 parent 2. It was hard. I remember finding solace in my room. But I have memories of loving my Barbie's, so it wasn't always my only way to spend my free time, like it is now. I remember LOVING the Sweet Valley High series, but not much else at that age.

One year in the 90's my parents did their best to buy me as many Stephen King novels as possible for a Christmas present. I was reading above my grade level and it was recommended to them as they both weren't readers. It was spectacular. And I devored every single one. I liked to read before that, but I didn't really know what getting lost in a book was until then. I didn't have movies playing in my head. I didn't have character voices in my head as I read. I'd never lost hours at a time in what felt like minutes. But now I do. And I almost alway make sure I find time to get lost in a book. A few pages or paragraphs isn't enough.

My husband believes my mental health is directly linked to my reading. If I don't have a book close by, I'm cranky.

What was it that made you a lover of books?
Vendlyss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vendlyss.html
Latest Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by Vendlyss »

Books were my means of escape. My parents went through a bit of a bitter divorce when I was six. Even then, I remember when I'd hear my parents arguing, I would dive into whatever adventure I was in. I also read well above my grade level. I remember the feeling of imagining a whole world around me as I devoured page after page. Reading will always be my first love.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I'm very late to the reading game, but it does not matter to me personally. I am very glad I got into it in the first place and now I cannot stop at all. University got me into reading, since I have to research a lot of stuff on my own and I wanted to discipline myself before actually starting. I started reading small books to then move my way towards bigger ones and I am now reading the biggest book I've picked up so far. So yes, University has been a big game changer for me personally and I couldn't be thankful enough for that :)
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

The Hardy Boys series, Boy's Life, Sports Illustrated, Car and Driver magazines, the Bookmobile!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Sam R Ngugi 99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sam R Ngugi 99 »

How i turned into a reader.
It was after i read of the book THINK BIG by Dr. Ben Carson and the inspiring story behind. I understood how racism had taken roots especially affecting blacks and African Americans in America. He further explains of how one of his teachers got shocked to see him years later And that's how i turned to be a reader.
Smmarie1988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmarie1988.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Smmarie1988 »

My aunt is an author. She’s published 7 books. My mother (her sister) has always been an avid reader. Reading is something that’s always been encouraged in my family. It’s something I’ve just always done. I couldn’t imagine not reading.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

I owe my love of books to my older sister. She has always been an avid reader and shared her library with me. In the early days, I would read John Saul books at her house. The books would scare me to the point of having to put them down. But then I would be so caught up in the story, I would pick it back up. Next thing I knew, it was 4AM and I would have been to sleep yet.
meshack koskei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by meshack koskei »

How i turned into a reader.
It was after i read of the book THINK BIG by Dr. Ben Carson and the inspiring story behind. I understood how racism had taken roots especially affecting blacks and African Americans in America. He further explains of how one of his teachers got shocked to see him years later And that's how i turned to be a reader.
BNazareno
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by BNazareno »

I think I am born to be a reader. My mom told me that I already know how to read before I'm 3. It's the only thing I'm good at.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Mammacd wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 20:32 I know that I've been a lover of all things books since I was a child. My Dad tells me I could read to myself when I was 2. When I packed to go anywhere, I always took a book.This I do not remember. But what I do know is my toddler years were hard. I remember the merging of 2 families in my younger years making 4 kids 10 and 1 parent 2. It was hard. I remember finding solace in my room. But I have memories of loving my Barbie's, so it wasn't always my only way to spend my free time, like it is now. I remember LOVING the Sweet Valley High series, but not much else at that age.
I'm about the same as you. I grew up loving books. It might have been pretty influenced by my mom, she always was ready to read a book. As I grew up, all my birthdays and Christmases were filled with getting books. And I always had a book on me if I left the house. The summer reading programs always excited me too when I was younger. I love filling up those cards. In addition to that, when we were out of school for the summer, my mom made me and my siblings read before we could go do other things. I loved the task, she never had to convince me to spend time reading like she had to do with my other siblings.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

As far as I could remember, I've always enjoyed reading. I just cannot recall the one or exact moment as to what turned me into a avid reader. But, maybe in high school when I read my first Donald Goines book. I was hooked and never stopped.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I had an unhappy childhood. Reading showed me new worlds, new possibilities, and alternative ways of living and being. I somehow learned how to read before I was about 5 years old (that was when my mother discovered that I was actually reading the articles in magazines, not just looking at the pictures). I've been a reader ever since. I have a much happier life now, but reading is still how I learn about new places and possibilities.
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

I can't remember specifically what initiated my love for books but I know it started when I was a kid.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cer&oacute;n Dur&aacute;n

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

To me, it was a specific book that my grandfather gifted me. It was called "Goodbye, Fairy Oak" and I loved it. The book was part of a series so I bought the whole thing and read it all. And that's how my love for books began to grow.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O&rsquo;Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

During the time when I first got into school. The myths and fables that were written in one of our book's subject is what got me into reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”