Do you remember what turned you into a reader?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Re: Do you remember what turned you into a reader?

Post by readsbyarun »

I got this habit since my childhood. I started reading comics in the beginning and slowly I started reading fiction and non-fition books.
Robert Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-potter.html
Latest Review: Stir of Embers by Christopher Javier Bustamante

Post by Robert Potter »

For me I think it was video games. I was playing video games well before I considered myself a regular reader. A lot of the first books I started reading were ones based on video games. And then Harry Potter eventually came along and the rest was history...
:tiphat:

Where you can also find me: https://robertthewriter.substack.com
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

What a great question and forum. It's fun to read everyone's answers. Interesting to see influences on our lives, especially our reading habits.My mom always gave us books to read from a young age. Even as babies we have pictures of my brother and I holding books.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I grew up in a family who promoted reading because we had all sorts of books around the house. My dad was quite fond of Sherlock Holmes and he also read crime novels. He had relatives in law enforcement so it kind of makes sense. He would tell us fairy tales before bed, most often it was "The Three Bears", "The Three Little Pigs", and "The Three Billy Goats Gruff". He did an excellent rendition of the ogre under the bridge as well as the noises of the goats going over the bridge. But, I probably really learned to like reading at a younger age because of one of my aunt's. She was a special education teacher and when she would take the students places, sometimes I would tag along. Although I don't recall for certain (my family moved when I was 4 1/2), I imagine that she had books and other things for school. She was such a kind woman, very friendly and cheerful and very loving. I don't remember my mother reading that often.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Essywa »

Am not a bookworm,but I started reading very early and my mom encouraged it by buying me lots of storybooks.
char8877
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-char8877.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum

Post by char8877 »

I turned into a reader after failing 6th grade English class. My mother made me read 100 pages a day. I could not do anything else until the reading was done. My interest peaked after reading Little House on the Prairie. I started by reading one book and after time I was asking my mother to buy more than one book.
maiiii_maii
Currently Reading: Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maiiii-maii.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem

Post by maiiii_maii »

I've been a reader for as long as I can remember. I don't really remember which book I've first read but my mom says it's the Bible.
Hannah_Keos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-keos.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Hannah_Keos »

From a young age I've struggled to communicate with people and my anxiety disorder dissuaded me from participating in school activities. My mom told that she once picked me up from ACES (after school program) and I was sitting in a corner reading. When one of the workers and my mom asked me what I was doing, I said, "I'm not participating" For someone who was afraid of getting in trouble, reading gave me the comfort I needed for small rebellion. I also excelled in it which allowed me some confidence. Books don't judge and they ask, "Why don't you talk?" "Why are you dressed like that?" or "You should do this, why aren't you?" Books allow me to explore other worlds in safety and now as an adult, they help me understand the real world that I have to confront.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

Curiosity, I have always being a curious person, with a lot of questions. I that was the major thing that got me to read.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I grew up around books, and my birthday gifts when I was little were usually books.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Ren_c_13
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ren-c-13.html
Latest Review: Tephra Rising by K. C. Weston

Post by Ren_c_13 »

There wasn’t a specific book that turned me into a reader, not like I’d remember it anyway because I loved reading from a very young age. The main reason I got my love of reading was all of my family reading to me and encouraging my when I was young. I started reading on my own and loving the adventures that book took me on.
Kenzy Lilly Pulitzer
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenzy-lilly-pulitzer.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kenzy Lilly Pulitzer »

Reading books as a child made me feel part of something bigger.

There was a period when my parents were absent and my grandfather took care of me. It was only the two of us. My grandfather was really strict so I wasn't allowed to go out and visit my friends from school or play with kids in the neighborhood. Books were my only friends; I would immerse myself in a story and forget how lonely I was.
bre2014
Favorite Book: The Stolen Heir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bre2014.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by bre2014 »

I struggled with reading as a child because I had trouble focusing and understanding what I was reading. It wasn't until later in years that I discovered there are actually books out there that I can actually understand and enjoy. I've been a reader ever since.
Varshaa
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games Series #1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varshaa.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Varshaa »

I was a part of a writing blog. I was scrolling through Instagram feeds where I found them hosting a book giveaway. So I just entered for name-sake. Fortunately, I won and received 3 books of my choice. I was thrilled and don't want to waste the opportunity. Because a massive number of people entered the giveaway and luckily I won! So that's how I started reading. And I think it's great.
Priyankaaa18
Currently Reading: Thirteen Reasons Why
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankaaa18.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Priyankaaa18 »

At first I wasn't into reading at all. I remember in 9th grade I borrowed a book that one of my friend was reading, I finished reading that book in one day. Before even I realized I was into reading books. That year I didn't read that many books compared to now.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”