Do you remember what turned you into a reader?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Re: Do you remember what turned you into a reader?

Post by Black Jewel »

We moved from a populated town to a middle of nowhere farm when I was a kid. That wasn't enough to turn me into a full blown reader, but blowing out my knee at 13 made me pretty sedentary... And that turned me into a reader. I've been a reader ever since, even though I do have slight lulls in my reading phases, due to job, life, what's going on, etc.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I remember hating books till 7th grade, then I started reading twilight and have been hooked ever since.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

My English teacher. I asked how I could improve my English faster she suggested reading. I'm glad she convinced me to pick up a book.
“Just keep swimming.”
RubyTheRock
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RubyTheRock »

I remember myself, 5 years old, in a new country, with foreign faces, and completely unfamiliar with the language (English).
I knew just enough to understand when I was being made fun of by the other kids, for my accent and my pitiful grammar.
It was then that I met the Angel of my Life, my homeroom teacher. She gave me a book, one of the simplest ones she could find, and sat by me for the 30 minutes I took to read it out loud; only gently correcting my pronunciation and encouraging me every time I got a word correct. She spent hours with me, my angel, giving me book after book, and tirelessly sitting by me while I struggled through each and every one of them. After a couple months, my English had gotten a lot better, and the kids had stopped laughing, but every other day, she would pull me to the side, and give me a new book. I loved those days.
Reading became my source of comfort, the only thing that I felt safe doing. 13 years later, that hasn't changed. I owe everything I am to my homeroom teacher. She turned me into a reader.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

A certain series draw me in to reading. I do not recall the name but it was about bears.
Book Huntress
Currently Reading: Fallen Thief
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-huntress.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Book Huntress »

During high school, my classmates are all busy talking about a certain book and if they can borrow it or who owns it already. I find it awkward that I'm not familiar with their topics so I decided to borrow the book they are talking about, which is Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Neelakshi jain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neelakshi-jain.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Neelakshi jain »

Only one thing- the Harry Potter series. When I watched those movies. I wanted to know the full story. So I started reading books. That is how my journey starts.
Rhea_K
Currently Reading: Rising Sun
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-k_2353942.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Rhea_K »

Books existed in my life ever since I can remember. But when did I actually start reading? What made me start reading?

I have to say my mother is the reason why. She loved to read so she made sure that I was surrounded by books from the start. It started with the picture books when I was 4, then pop-up books when I was 5. When I was 8 I read my first Enid Blyton,The Secret of Moon Castle and after that I wouldn't read a book less than 200 pages. But until now my mother heavily influences my reading journey.

She gave me my first Virginia Andrews book, the iconic Flowers in the Attic at the age of 9 and my aunts looked at us like we were crazy. She introduced me to her favourite author, Stephen King with The Shining on a plane ride when I was 10, which made the passenger next to me raise his eyebrows. We found our love for Dean Koontz together at a book sale when I was 12, and she talked to me about Agatha Christie and James Hadley from her younger days even before I could find their books to read. Even when I was skeptical about the erotic themes in Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L James, my mother bought the books and told her 16 year old daughter that they are just books, and books are stories, so just read the story! :lol:

So what inspired me to start reading?
My bookworm mother, and I'm grateful for it everyday :cry:
eggnog
Currently Reading: The Art of Rhetoric
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by eggnog »

"You should read pocket books," my elementary batchmate once said to me when we met for probably the first time right after gradeschool graduation.

So I did, I tried browsing the store to look for something that will interest me. I saw "The Name of this Book is Secret," by Pseudonymous Bosch and upon reading the synopsis, I knew I had to get it. I was a sophomore that time, if I remember correctly. Then, everything is history. I went from that to Percy Jackson to The Hunger Games! Now, a hundred books later, I'm now resorting to classics. I'm glad that batchmate told me that I should read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”