Marking on the pages of books as you read them

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
yamileth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by yamileth »

I've never done it for pleasure; just didn't have the patience. I'd just bookmark and/or dog-ear pages if there was something I wanted to remember in it. Even with the Kindle I don't do it all that much; just when I see something I might want to discuss with my book club.

You have the right to "ruin" a book you own in any way you please. The only problem may come if you end up trying to sell those books for whatever reason; markings will typically lower its value.
best4buys
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by best4buys »

This is a habit which varies from person to person. I dont like marking on pages while reading whereas my hubby marks all important phrases and events as he reads. He feels that it is important as we can always look back without scanning the entire book and I feel if you like them you can note in personal dairy without spoiling the book.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

No, I don't write on books or mark them. I just take whatever notes I need to elsewhere and take note of page numbers if I have to.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

I used to, but now I don't because I think it might give me the impression that I understood what I haven't in fact understood.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I went to college for literature and philosophy and I found myself doing this more and more as I read for a different purpose. I never really did jot anything in the margins - marginalia is what that is called - before I went to college. I kind of thought it was a bad thing to do, not only for the sake of the book, but also for the sake of the next possible reader. I think I thought of circling words that I didn't know the meaning of for awhile, but then I gave up on that. Now, if I do mark a book, I try to use pencil because generally my notes refer to how I could use this or that part of the book to support a topic of sorts. If I would come across a really great quote, I would generally write it down somewhere instead of marking the book.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Essywa »

Myself I don't write on books I would rather note something important in another book. I prefer my book clean and neat.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”