Books series vs Standalone books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Books series vs Standalone books

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

What do you prefer book series or standalone books ?

I prefer standalone books.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I prefer a series. A trilogy is perfect. For a mystery, typically a stand-alone is fine because what I really enjoy about those is solving it. But with sci-fy/fantasy I love when the author takes the time to write a really developed story. Which is hard to do in 350 pages.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

As a kid I devoured series books, but now not so much. Actually, I'm so put off by series and the self-perceived pressure to continue on with the following books, that if I learn that it is from a series I just won't read that book.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I like standalone books more. I just don't get too much time for a series.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Gracetailor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracetailor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gracetailor »

I prefer standalone. I’m not into series, be it books or movies
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

It depends. If there is a strong central character I really like, then a whole growing series with them can be addictive in a special way (though sometimes you have to suspend disbelief with regard to their age - Reg Wexford was solving crimes until he was well over 100 if you took it too literally!). Yes, children DO have a fascination with series - and as I know from my own experience with the 'Chalet School' series, even as adults you can obsessively chase up some of the titles you missed! I was interested to read that the psychological crime writer Minette Walters has always eschewed the idea of a serial character though readers have begged her otherwise. And Conan Doyle ended up loathing Sherlock Holmes but still had to bring him back to life!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
mnmueller
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnmueller.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by mnmueller »

I prefer series. It mostly comes down to the characters for me. If I really enjoy the characters, then I want to read more about them. I love well developed worlds or mythos, societal structures or inventions that seem plausible, or just descriptions of everyday life, as long as you have interesting characters to populate them. I found the world of Eragon fascinating, yet I haven't been able to finish the series because the characters were just not interesting enough to compel me to read more.

I think what I like most about a series is that you get to see the characters change and grow, hopefully, and the situations they are in also change. I loved the Percy Jackson series for both Percy and Annabeth, but I struggled with the Heroes of Olympus series because I didn't really like most of the new characters. I kept at it because I wanted to see what happened with Percy and Annabeth.
tvess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by tvess »

As a kid, it was always about reading more and more, so I needed a series to function. If I read a standalone, it was for class, so it inevitably wasn't as good.

Now that I'm older, I've really started liking books that are short enough to read between all of the other stuff I'm busy with. I feel like a standalone is often better at being a story about a singular meaning. I still like to read a series, but I feel like it's harder to find a series that really fits together well as a whole.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

It depends on the style. If it's a murder mystery, it really doesn't matter if it's part of a series. I just want to know who died and how the killer is busted. The fact that there may be a central cop or something in all of them doesn't matter, as past cases rarely come into play and each can be read in any order as if it were stand alone. If it's character driven, I prefer a series so the world and characters can develop properly without feeling forced. Then reading them out of order bothers me, even if each has a distinct plot not necessarily dependent on previous novels.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I love books in general. Standalone books are nice so that you don't get bored of a genre or a writers style. Series are good if you grow attached to the characters but going back and forth between stand alone books and a series can make you forget what was going on.

Its really just dependent on your mood/ interest.
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

I always look for standalone books when I'm looking for a new book. There have been lots of times when I read a book and then discover it's a part of a series. With a series I feel like I'm committed to reading all of the books in that series.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I like a series. If the series is good, I have something to look forward to after the first book. If it's not good, I look at it like it was a standalone and feel no obligation to stay on the series.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

I prefer a series.
It does depend on the type of book though. But the type of books I like are YA dystopian which tend to work best as a series.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

It depends on the book, the theme and the scale. A series requires some commitment from the reader, who must get seriously involved with the first installment for him to read a second or a third one. There are some stories that need to be told in a long and extended way, which can require more than one book. There are others that, given its brevity and its finale (whether it's an open or a closed one), benefit from employing a single delivery.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I like both. It really just depends on my mood. If I want a quick read, I go for a stand-alone book. Sometimes I feel like a long adventuren so I will grab a series.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”