Do you read other people's reviews before writing your own?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Re: Do you read other people's reviews before writing your own?

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I don't read other reviews until after mine is written! The only instance I did read a couple was when I was afraid I was being too harsh on a book and wanted to see if it was just my feelings about it or if others shared the same sentiments!
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

Ideally, I wouldn't want to read another persons review before writing mine. But occasianlly I do get tempted and take a peak at some one else's review.
Demotronic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Demotronic »

I read reviews before I buy, so technically I have read the reviews before I write
Shams Sahbani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shams-sahbani.html
Latest Review: Compelling American Conversations by Eric H. Roth and Toni Aberson and Hal Bogotch

Post by Shams Sahbani »

I never do. Maybe I should 😊 generally I read the book, all at once without bothering about notes and reviews. I enjoy reading, and if I don't I stop. Then I write my first impressions, sometimes I just scramble them randomly, and the last step is writing the review, and I need to come back to the book to read twice or more some passages that I want to focus on, or to remember some minor détails...
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MandyP »

I've read reviews after i've submitted my own, to see if others agreed with my thoughts or had other opinions. I wouldn't want to be swayed by someone elses opinions before I made my own.
This too shall pass ~Edward Fitzgerald :roll: :doh:
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

I really only read other people's reviews when my rating varies so differently. It won't change my review, but I always want to know why people feel differently than I do about a book. I do think it helps to see what others are writing, because it uncovers what kind of reviewer you are too. You know what I mean? There are reviewers who have an open mind and seem to love everything they read, while there are others (more like me) who are critical of everything they read. It's a good way to get to know what kind of reviewer you are.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I usually write my review without being influenced by anyone else's opinion. After finishing sometimes I read what others have to say.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I try not to read reviews until after I've posted mine. As much as I enjoy others' points of view on the books I've read, I want to be sure that I'm not letting them influence what I think of the book. There's also a bit of joy in finding other people who think of things the same way I do, or have a perspective I had not considered when reading, so reviews tend to be a kind of treat/incentive for me to get my review done.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I don't read other reviews before I write my own. I will look at them after the fact, but I don't want to accidentally add anyone else's views into my own.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
BySarahAnneCarter
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bysarahannecarter.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BySarahAnneCarter »

I really try not to unless I'm forgetting name or key piece of information. I try to use the Goodreads summary first before digging in reviews for it.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I don't read other reviews about the book I am going to review. I too, do not want it to sway my opinion. As soon as I submit the review, I agree, I can't wait to find out what everyone else thought about the book. It doesn't hurt to look at a variety of reviews , as a newer reviewer, to help with style , though.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Ragnar Lothbrok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ragnar-lothbrok.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Ragnar Lothbrok »

I may have read other people's reviews while writing my first review, just to give me an insight on how the structure of the review should be.
But after that, I realized I'm someone who gets influenced quite easily by other reviews. I either feel bad because I start thinking my review won't be any better or I stop being genuine and that is because my mind is on everything but myself, so I unconsciously choose to copy what others have already said. Fortunately, I could avoid all that and my "need" to read other reviews before writing mine finally ceased. Now I write my reviews, submit them and that's it. Why read other reviews when you may end up putting them on a pedestal by thinking they are better than your own?
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

[quote=BookishCreature post_id=810815 time=1516294050 user_id=431248]
I'm curious whether the other reviewers here read everyone else's take on a book before writing their own review. Personally, I try to let the book stand on its own, so I only read other reviews after I've finished mine. What do you guys do?
[/quote]
Nah, I like my own original for I would also want to rate myself.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I usually write my own review before reading others' reviews. But if I find myself inclining towards a horribly negative review, I like to take a peek at what other's have written so I do not feel to bad about my negative review.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I normally avoid reading the other reviews as I want my thoughts to be original and stand-alone from other reviews. However, I will read them after I finish mine to see if we agreed.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”