Do you read other people's reviews before writing your own?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Do you read other people's reviews before writing your own?

Post by BookishCreature »

I'm curious whether the other reviewers here read everyone else's take on a book before writing their own review. Personally, I try to let the book stand on its own, so I only read other reviews after I've finished mine. What do you guys do?
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I write my review and then before posting it check others. It's only to see if I have forgotten something I wanted to include. It's why I write it first, otherwise I know I would be influenced momentarily by what I read :? But I almost never change what I wrote because I mostly try and take notes while reading if I have intentions to review something.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The problem with checking other's reviews is that eventually you'll get books that don't have others reviewing it. You really have to let your opinion stand on its own.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I prefer not to look at other people's reviews before writing mine so that my opinion is not swayed by their observations. However, after posting my review, I like to look at what others say about the same book. It is amazing how much insight I then gain from these reviews.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
BookishCreature

Cotwani wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 06:50 I prefer not to look at other people's reviews before writing mine so that my opinion is not swayed by their observations. However, after posting my review, I like to look at what others say about the same book. It is amazing how much insight I then gain from these reviews.
I do the same thing! That's my favorite part, actually - submitting my review and then making a mad dash to the forums to finally read what everyone else wrote. :)
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I have specifically chosen not read any other reviews before I've written mine. I know I'm easily influenced and I'm afraid I may unintentionally use another reviewer's structure, examples, or arguments as my own.

After I write my review, I often go and read others because I am genuinely interested in what other people thought of the same material. So it gives me a little motivation to write my review and get it out of the way.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
BookishCreature

jaylperry wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 13:55 I have specifically chosen not read any other reviews before I've written mine. I know I'm easily influenced and I'm afraid I may unintentionally use another reviewer's structure, examples, or arguments as my own.
That's my fear as well. Sometimes I'll read a review that completely changes my opinion of a book, and I think it's kind of disingenuous to write a review after that. After all, it's supposed to be about my honest first impression, right?
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

BookishCreature wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 14:08
jaylperry wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 13:55 I have specifically chosen not read any other reviews before I've written mine. I know I'm easily influenced and I'm afraid I may unintentionally use another reviewer's structure, examples, or arguments as my own.
That's my fear as well. Sometimes I'll read a review that completely changes my opinion of a book, and I think it's kind of disingenuous to write a review after that. After all, it's supposed to be about my honest first impression, right?
I agree.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Never. It is too easy to be influenced by what others say about the book. The author is not looking for that in your review. They want to know what YOU think about it.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

No. I prefer writing my own unique view and rating it with minimal influence. After submitting it, I then look at what other people thought.
Reading is dreaming with your eyes open. :techie-studyinggray:
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I actually read other people's reviews before deciding on the book i'm going to review. I don't easily get influenced by others but it's nice to see what other people thought.
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

I sometimes do read other reviews if I'm having trouble getting my thoughts in order. Often other reviewers hit on something you felt but couldn't put into words, or reminded you so something you forgot, or say something you disagree with. In any case, it helps get the ball rolling.
Carmel Bachelor
Currently Reading: Their Eyes were watching God
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmel-bachelor.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Carmel Bachelor »

I sometimes do this if it was a really long book that had a lot of sub-plots (for example; Game of Thrones), or if I just found it a really difficult read and wasn't sure how I initially felt about it. Reading others reviews provides a bit of clarity to what I actually thought about the book.
BookishCreature

Carmel Bachelor wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 14:44 I sometimes do this if it was a really long book that had a lot of sub-plots (for example; Game of Thrones), or if I just found it a really difficult read and wasn't sure how I initially felt about it. Reading others reviews provides a bit of clarity to what I actually thought about the book.
That's a really good point. Sometimes I'll finish a book and know I loved or hated it, but I can't quite put my finger on why.
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

I don't. I don't want to be influenced. Going forward I won't recheck the star rating either. I know you see it in the beginning, but I won't look at it before I've written my review if I can help it. I gave the first book I reviewed 1 star. It felt strange and made me feel bad because it was rated much higher, and it happened with my second review as well.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”