How much does the cover page influence your pick of a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

How much does the cover page influence your pick of a book

Post by micoleon13 »

"End of the Last Great Kingdom" has a wonderful cover page and, as someone who isn't a great fan of fantasy, it made me immediately want to read it.

How much do you think the cover page influences your decision on what book to read and does it affect your enjoyment of the book as a whole?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting question. I have to admit that a cover page matters more to me than it probably should. If I see a cover page that isn't really well done, then I have to think that the author probably didn't spend a lot of time or effort on the book either. It doesn't have to be elaborate, but it should at least look professional. That's just my thought, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I also tend to put a good deal of weight into the cover imagery as it speaks not only to the author’s conception of the story, but also to the amount of faith the publisher has in the success of the book. There have been a couple of times where I was surprised by the quality of the writing as it compared to the cover image, but overall it tends to be a fairly useful way to determine whether I will enjoy a book or not.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I also put a great deal of significance on the cover. I have been known to get books based on their cover alone at times. I am mostly drawn in by the cover and then read the blurb on the back to see if I might like it.
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

The cover page matters more than it should. It gives my eyes something to catch, then I read the summary and maybe a couple of pages.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

A good cover page attracts me to the book. However,if the plot is what determines whether or not I read it.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

The cover page does not matter to me.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I'd like to say that I'm not influenced by trivial things like that, but we all know that an eye-catching cover is what often determines if someone will read a book. It's like any advertising. We all like to believe that it doesn't affect us, but it wouldn't be such a huge industry if that was true.

That said, one has to remember that authors often have very little influence over what the cover, or even the title, of their book is unless it's independently published. Therefore, I don't think having a bad cover means you shouldn't still give the book a chance.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

AliceofX wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 10:48 I'd like to say that I'm not influenced by trivial things like that, but we all know that an eye-catching cover is what often determines if someone will read a book. It's like any advertising. We all like to believe that it doesn't affect us, but it wouldn't be such a huge industry if that was true.

That said, one has to remember that authors often have very little influence over what the cover, or even the title, of their book is unless it's independently published. Therefore, I don't think having a bad cover means you shouldn't still give the book a chance.
It's definitely advertising. You are right about that. I will say that if I look at a book and the synopsis is REALLY great, I'll consider reading it no matter the cover.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Sadly, I do judge a book by its cover. If the cover doesn't catch my eye I normally don't pick it up.
Kylou
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kylou.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Kylou »

Londera wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 21:17 A good cover page attracts me to the book. However,if the plot is what determines whether or not I read it.
I agree and make my decisions mostly based on the plot or recommendations.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

Way too much, when ebooks have those characters that seem to be taken out directly from the "sim" games, I can't stand it.
missalice
Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by missalice »

My decision usually lies more on the title than the cover. That's not to say that the cover doesn't have any influence but if the title gets me interested then I'll read the summary. If it passes the summary test then I'll go to the first page. Now this is the real test: the writing test. If I like the writing, I'm buying. I guess I'm kind of picky...
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I generally hate and love the amount of influence a cover has on my likelihood to pick up and read a book. I'll add a lot of books to my to-read shelf based on cover and genre alone. I feel like it's gotten me to read a lot of books I both love and hate. It's like a cioin toss, really. You're not going to get a good book every time if you're reading based on the cover. But you're not gonna get a bad book every time either.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

The cover page influences me a great deal. As people say, 'A picture speaks a thousand words', the cover page will do an amazing thing in impressing a reader.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”