Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
chipmunck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipmunck.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by chipmunck »

I think there are several reasons I like reading a lot. I like to accomplish something. Nothing like completing a book and having that story tucked away in my mind. I also like reading non-fiction to learn stuff. I tend to want to learn about the world around me. I read fiction to do a little escape.
VirgoRules2018
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-virgorules2018.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by VirgoRules2018 »

I love the way words can come together and express not just a thought...but there can be emotions associated with the words. There is also power in carefully positioning positive words to guide someone and help them out of their situation.
Great stories make you think and feel in balanced proportions.
With a good book, you can have a great journey without physically taking any steps....amazing! :techie-studyinggray:
Rano mal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rano mal »

Its my hoby.because gain other peple mind.
sthe01
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by sthe01 »

I enjoy reading because it allows me to see things from a different perspective and learn how other people think compared to me. I also like reading because it opens the door to a variety of worlds that are way more exciting than my reality.
sashsen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sashsen.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by sashsen »

If you are looking for some sort of escapism from reality, just grab that book! It is the best way to be transported to another place, and have your mind engaged in ways you did not think possible. Reading will take you on a journey that you would never have imagined, and let you meet characters that seem so real, they will be remembered long after the book is finished.
It also forces you to use your imagination, forming an image inside you head that you alone have access to. The words of the author may be there in black and white, but there is no limit to the different ways you can process these words.
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

I love to read because it brings me to another place......
Hey Alyssa
Favorite Book: Diary of Anne Frank
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Hey Alyssa »

I enjoy reading a book for no valid reason. I just enjoy it, thats it. Well it is true that I can learn a lot of things by just merely reading a book. And I will be able to look from a different perspective as I explore books from different authors. But those aren't the sole reason why I decided to grab a book and spent my whole day reading it. It's not about what I am going to learn. It's about the experience that I enjoy the most.
RabidFox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RabidFox »

I have always had a deep interest in books. And not just books that you can buy in a book store, but stories that you can read on the internet as well. Some of the best stuff I've ever read was never published and didn't cost anything. I have read so many stories, I can not even begin to remember the amount. One of my attractions to reading is that it widens and develops your understanding of the world as a whole. There are so many things that I have learned from literature, and it has always given me a window into other times, other places, and other people. A world of such rich colour and wonderful magic opened up only through the art of writing. It doesn't have to be creative. All it has to be is interesting enough to hold my fascination with words.

Psychology is my favourite subject. I really like learning about it. But I am also very interested in history. I might as well have a huge set of encyclopaedias on my shelf, because of just how much I have studied online. The library could be a car ride away, but the massive impact of the internet on reading has made all sorts of material available. Reading can be a joy even when there's not much to read. For example, I have gone through endless galleries of old photographs online, and the captions for the pictures are enlightening and entertaining despite only being a few sentences long.

To summarize my feelings, I am thoroughly curious about each and every nuance of the psychology of writing, and how and what it produces on the pages of any book. Learning has always been my main motivation, even if it's sourced from only a brief novella. But enjoyment is still part of the rush of taking a new, unread book off my shelf.
OneHippieChick
Currently Reading: Melanie's Evanscent Journey
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by OneHippieChick »

At this point in my life I prefer informational reading above novels most of the time. However, I've always loved true stories about peoples' lives.
Dorothy Kiyaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Dorothy Kiyaka »

Most of the time I love sitting alone.Its not that I don't like making friends or that I don't have any friends. I have lots of them.The time I sit alone is meant for reading ,its helps me know what is in the mind of a particular author, to at least move from this world and experience the authors world.Reading also gives me knowledge about some things that happen
I do love reading a lot.
BoundlessLaughter
Currently Reading: Xenocide
Bookshelf Size: 324

Post by BoundlessLaughter »

Reading for me is like traveling and meeting new people and seeing new cultures and experiencing their lives. I guess it's a bit of escapism in that way. But I've always been curious about people and how each one live their lives. I love going on road trips in part because I get to see people and their houses. Seeing people in their homes doing every day things gives me an idea on how they live their lives and my imagination fills in the rest.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

many reasons, but mostly people leave you alone and you don’t have to speak to people
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Reading helps me learn and gain experiences that I could never have gotten in any other way. Being able to fully myself in a plot allows me to empathize with the story and characters. It is also a way for me to temporarily escape any problems or realities that I may not necessarily want to face just yet.
yonyan0314
Currently Reading: Ninja Spy Cats
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by yonyan0314 »

What do I like about reading books because it is fun to read different kinds of book like suspense, children books, fantasy, and so on. Because I'm amazed all to the author who write the books. Even if it is their own experience or imaginary story. They are all amazing so I loved reading books.
jasminewhite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasminewhite.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by jasminewhite »

I love getting swept up into another world. With a well-written book, I get so involved and connected with the characters and the setting. There have been times that it's been raining in the book and I look up surprised to find that it's actually a perfectly sunny day.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”