Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by revna01 »

I love to read because I want to de-stress or feel inspired or just explore a different world or learn something. I usually have books in several genres going at once; one for any need I have.
akashchakradhar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by akashchakradhar »

I think reading a book it grow the knowledge and skills...
Omohobhio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Omohobhio »

I find it really soothing.
krithikagowri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krithikagowri.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by krithikagowri »

To me reading is about getting away from this world and escape to another. It is form of therapy to me
bportales

Post by bportales »

I have a passion for reading because it takes me away into an entirely new universe. It’s as if I become part of the book, envisioning that the occurrences within the story are actually happening all around me, and I am just looking on inside this character’s life. Reading has been such a huge part of my life since I first learned how to read and I’m positive this will never change!
Jdominguez052
Currently Reading:

Post by Jdominguez052 »

I like reading because it helps me relax. It takes my mind off of what I’m going through for the day.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

For me, reading is both a spiritual and intellectual journey. I am on an adventure, exploring the mind, the soul and the experiences of another person.
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

sleepydumpling wrote: 19 Aug 2007, 21:58 I read for two reasons...

1) To escape. I love being transported to another time or place. I love that feeling of seeing or doing or experiencing something different.

2) To see things from a different perspective. I love a book that makes me think and shows me things from other people's perspectives.
I know this was said years ago, but I agree with these reasons. I love to read for both of these reasons, but also because:

3) To learn new things. I like books that mix technical or scientific information in with fiction.
4) To stretch my imagination. I love mentally experiencing things that aren't real, just for the sake of seeing something new I've never seen before.

and

5) To temporarily live in a world where good wins and bad people get what's coming to them. Corruption, dishonesty, malice, etc. can be beaten by diligence, pure intentions, and teamwork. I want the satisfaction of a HEA.
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

krithikagowri wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 18:20 To me reading is about getting away from this world and escape to another. It is form of therapy to me
I agree!
I can be a hero or heroine in another time or place, and I can forget about all the bad things in life, at least for a little while. It destresses me, helps clear my mind of stuff eating at me, and often helps me fall asleep easier.
CherylLouise

Post by CherylLouise »

I like to read to escape, to become informed, to learn, to hear others' opinions. :D
Blanca417

Post by Blanca417 »

I read for many reasons
To learn- I think that when we read we open the opportunity to learn something new or different. We need to be continually learning.
To escape-sometimes we are so wrapped up in our current situations that we need that moment of escape, that moment to remove ourselves from where we physically are to allow our minds to go beyond our reality to give us some relief, to give us a break.
To expand our thinking-we can learn more, do more, help more, impart more, teach more to those around us, and reading or having read can help us pass along those things that we have experienced or learned by reading.
I love to read, don't read as much as I used to or would like to but one thing is I am going to get back to it, I think I'm a better person because of it.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

The reason why I like reading so much and attracted to it are not too far from yours yet, simpler: I like it because it opens my world of knowledge and imagination, as well as sharpen my skills.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Sue Mulligan
Currently Reading: Troublemaker
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-mulligan.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Sue Mulligan »

I like reading because it tames my thinking and allows me to escape. Also, I get to experience things from different perspectives.
Ernie6988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernie6988.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Ernie6988 »

I like to read because if it is really good book you can totally invision the scenes, the pictures the writers paint.
Damilolo1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damilolo1.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Damilolo1 »

I like reading because it's my escape, my way out. Sometimes life gets me really, really down but then all i have to do is pick up a really good book, start reading and all of that goes away. Its beautiful really, how books help so many people, makes people laugh, cry, have faith, confidence, I don't think I could trade a novel for a tv any day.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”