Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
braissac
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braissac.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by braissac »

Find me biographies and non-fiction books and you bet I'll be cruising to my happy place. Reading such books help me travel the world and live decades if not centuries ago experiencing what authors and notable persons experienced. It goes well with my life mantra, make mistakes fast to learn fast. To learn fast, i do not need to wait for my experience when there are good books to read and be informed! Let me just say I love reading.
johnmorgan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by johnmorgan »

I like reading because it can helps me to get new knowledge and to relax after hard day.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I suffer from anxiety and depression. Reading allows me to escape that and live in someone else’s perspective for a while. It is very therapeutic for me. Reading also gives me the chance to learn new things and that in itself is exciting.
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

Would it be okay to say I read just because I love to read?
Well, I read because it appeals to me. I have a very busy mind and reading helps me both keep focus and have new ideas to ponder on when I'm not reading.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michele H »

I like reading for a lot of reasons. Mainly, I would say I use it for an escape and entertainment. However, I also feel like it helps me stimulate my brain functioning. You know what they say, if you don’t use it you lose it. Reading is a way to expand your knowledge, your vocabulary, and your general interests.
hopeelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by hopeelly »

I like reading because it offers me a safe and productive replacement for negative thinking and gives my mind a safe place to rest. Reading also renews my energy.
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

I like reading, because it is an enjoyable and informative past time. It introduces the reader to different worlds and cultures. I am interested in a variety of topics and genres. In particular I like children books, romantic novels and books about travel and cooking.
Miranda King
Currently Reading: Hunted
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miranda-king.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Miranda King »

I love reading because it is as if there is a movie playing in my head. I can see everything going on. I enter into the book as though I am one of the characters. If I decide I want to be a different character I up and change. It is a nice break from my own reality and it is a very nice break from being in front of a TV or computer screen all day long. I get the chance to enter the authors mind and explore the thoughts of their creativity as I turn each page.
Sam Lauren
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Currently Reading: The Dovekeepers
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-lauren.html
Latest Review: To love in vain by Pedro Merchant
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Sam Lauren »

It's cathartic yet exciting.
Kulzum
Currently Reading: Still I rise
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kulzum.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kulzum »

Reading calms me down. I feel relaxed when I read. I've always preferred reading a book or the newspaper over watching movies. There's something about reading that I equate to meditating.
LittleMama2021

Post by LittleMama2021 »

Reading has always been my escape. I can escape the harsh realities of the real world, and just sit back and live a different life through the characters in the book. I am not able to read as much now as I used to because I just don't have the time, but you can bet that when I do take the time to find a book I want to read, I block out the rest of the world and I read it.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

I love reading be cause it provides escapism or knowledge that you would other not get. It also is a form of meditation for me.
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Iris Marsh »

I love reading because it gives me an escape into another world. It also lets me experience different viewpoints, and it's fun and educational at the same time.
michaelkline589

Post by michaelkline589 »

I love to read for so many reasons. First, it allows me to unwind from a day, good or bad. It allows me to escape my own mind and thoughts and explore someone else's. Second, it gives me a chance to explore a new world full of interesting characters with perspectives di fferent than my own. And finally, it helps me to relax and learn something new.
Lunupine
Favorite Book: The Future of Buildings, Transportation and Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunupine.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Lunupine »

An escape. My parents growing up gets into loud screaming fights that I have to listen to. With the books I am able to block that out and just get into a book to be happy. Other thing is I love to learn about others. There are authors who can bring together a world that makes you understand others better. History books can bring the future and past together in just one book and there is so much more. This is just two reasons why I love to read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”