Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
speechless
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by speechless »

I love reading because it allows me to escape into a completely different world. I have a habit of imagining myself in the character's place, so when I'm reading I feel like it's me going through all these adventures and whatnot. It's really exciting. Plus, it's just fun to do.
readingaddict

Post by readingaddict »

I like reading because it is a way to escape. I always remember a line from Matlida (Roald Dahl) that says:
'She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Ruyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.'
It is extremely true!

And not to mention that the pen is mightier than the sword.
bookworm1

Post by bookworm1 »

Simple. To be entertain. Seems movies and television is an lost art these days. They can't tell a good story now a days. Thank God for books. I just read Airport by Arthur Hailey. Great book. Also Sand Pebbles was a great read.
textbookonly

Post by textbookonly »

I believe that reading is the most importart skill for every age starting from toddlers to old age. Books can become your best friend and keep you away from loneliness and can calm your mind.
I love reading for information and to think and look into the world from other people's perspectives.We can take a glimpse into another world.They have been my best friend since childhood. Books help me to ease my mind from the stress and tension of the real world and helps me in dealing various situations with positive attitude.
The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Not only reading allows you to escape, it makes your mind relax and work at the same time: it's always amazing to paint a picture in your mind, "see" the places and the characters take shape in your mind, sometimes so clearly that it all feels so real.

That's for novels/fiction of course.

But any book of any type will make you a bit richer inside, that's another excellent reason to read.
Shari_K

Post by Shari_K »

I love reading because it takes me to other places. I think I have too much of an active imagination and it's sometimes scary. I feel I can't get enough and sometimes read more than one book at a time. Call me crazy, but I love books. It's a good hobby, you learn so many new things and get a lot of ideas because I also love to write. I always have to read the book before I see the movie, some people say they rather see the movie first, but not me, although the movie can be very disappointing but I guess you have to look at it as just entertainment when you watch the movie, that way you don't set yourself up for disappointment.
andr70

Post by andr70 »

While reading I distract from the outside world, and start thinking quietly,besides my imagination starts workink, so I find some really interesting ideas
mohses

Post by mohses »

i like reading becuase i can read 10 hours straight , masterbating hurts after 20 mins , lol
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

I like it because I feel I get to know the best of the men and women who wrote them. (Which is odd, given what a loner I am.) Also, all books are pretty much the sum of humanity's dreams, ideals and fears, and the more I know, I feel I understand things better.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
Jasmine1995

Post by Jasmine1995 »

I like reading because i like to understand story lines, situations and how people handle them also i go into my own world and i recognize what type of authors i like.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Why do I like reading .... that's like asking why do I like breathing?
Books are & always have been a huge part of my life .... I start to panic when the book stack beside my bed goes below 9 or 10 (Well maybe not panic but certainly mild hysteria!) I read for all the same reasons everyone else has mentioned ..... to learn, to escape, to dream & to try to understand this crazy world & the crazies who inhabit it. We all have but one life to live but reading gives us a chance to imagine other lives, times & places we will never experience first hand.

I think it was C S Lewis who said: "We read to know we're not alone"

I could be wrong in attributing that quote to Lewis & no doubt someone of you well read people in cyberland will correct me if I am but I think it's not half bad .. whoever said it!
bookfanforever

Post by bookfanforever »

I love reading because you can hear many adventures of characters that have their own personality. Also it takes me to another world, it's like I'm living into the books setting. There is no better feeling than reading a book that's why I love it.
bookfanforever

Post by bookfanforever »

I love reading because you can hear many adventures of characters that have their own personality. Also it takes me to another world, it's like I'm living into the books setting. There is no better feeling than reading a book that's why I love it.
icandoit

Post by icandoit »

I read to relax and get ideas and find new words and to go into zone of different world or time depending on the author or try to image to be in that enviroment
selfer

Post by selfer »

I'm a writer, so I read a lot to understand the underlying techniques and to figure out why something is or isn't effective. Beyond that, I read a lot of self-help books for motivation, fantasy for fun (just finished The Chronicles of Narnia), and sociology learn about myself and the people around me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”