Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
readingnow93
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by readingnow93 »

I love reading because I think communication is a beautiful, artistic expression that allows us to connect mentally. Words bring what’s dead back to life, it puts a colorful story to something that could have been or could become black and white in a stagnant world. I love reading because it amazes me how far we’ve come in the ability to write a whole book and share it with others who could relate or argue. Lastly, I love reading because it allows me to grow. Enlightenment can be found anywhere, from the wonders of nature to the depth in a few sentences. Words are powerful, and I love reading because books were created with passionate intent to change the future, which it does.
briheartssn
Currently Reading: Long Black Veil
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briheartssn.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by briheartssn »

:techie-reference: For me, there are many reasons.

* I live through the fictional characters in the novels I read. I love to feel the emotions of them all and read it almost like a movie script. I love to picture their faces, motions, and gestures.
* I love the escape of reading. It's almost like traveling. Many times after a difficult life event like a breakup or death, reading a similiar book is great therapy for me.
* Both of my parents are insane readers. My father can often read a whole novel in one day. They own enough for a whole library. No matter how long or hectic of a day, neither of them go to sleep without at least 20 minutes of reading beforehand. It instilled in me.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
princessERI
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 599">Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princesseri.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by princessERI »

First would be to learn new words, new cultures, new places and different personality of characters.

Second is to enhance my imagination. Creating the picture from words.

Third is to have fun. Like getting to new adventures even if you're just sitting.

Last is to see a different perspective from others. I learn a lot from them and they even inspired me.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Noksion
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Noksion »

First of all, i like reading because it is one of the best work-out strategies for our brains. It shapes my thoughts and makes my mindflow orginised.

Second, it helps me expand my experience of life. By reading i get an instant access to an author's thoughts, feelings and experiences, which could differ from my own. Therefore, keeping myself open to something new i become a better version of myself.

Third, the language experience. It always excites me to my find a new word or to embrace the gorgeousness of a well-written sentence :)
Blue Eyed Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-eyed-reader.html
Latest Review: Twinkle Twinkle Little Starr by H M Irwing

Post by Blue Eyed Reader »

I like to read because it gives me an opportunity to close my mind off for a little bit and think about anything else that doesn't relate to bills, work, cleaning, etc. It creates an opportunity to relax and regroup myself. I know I have other ways of doing that such as working out and painting, but this is one of those luxurious things where I don't have to do a thing! It just requires my hands on a book, my eyes, a blanket, and a comfy seat! Nothing more relaxing than that!
Ramatu0
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Ramatu0 »

Because it keeps me going, add me knowledge and teaches me a whole lot
RJWaugh
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Currently Reading: The Word Collector
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjwaugh.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by RJWaugh »

Scott,

This is a really good topic. It’s very interesting to see why so many people like to read. I used to work at a used bookstore for 8 years and I loved talking about the different books the customers read. I love to read because it expands the mind. I love to learn, yet it’s a gift to see life from another’s perspective. I plan to start writing and publishing soon, after all of my year of reading. I’m very nervous to be a writer, yet I’m anxious to share my perspective about some of the things I’ve learned through the years.

Reading is the best thing anyone can do for themselves!

Reanna
jmcn17
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jmcn17 »

Reading, for me, is so many things.

I can use reading as a way to gain knowledge, to further my understanding of topics that I'm passionate about, or simply to escape reality for a little while. I love picking up a book and knowing that on the pages was someone's dream, their sleepless nights, their passion, something that they felt needed to be heard.

I love not knowing what story is about to unfold.

There's hundreds of thousands of authors out there, all with a unique-to-them writing style and they all have a different story to tell.
jennibarnhart
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by jennibarnhart »

I read for many reasons, I guess it depends on my mood and the kind of day I'm having. Some days I read to travel to another dimension where my worries and stressors cannot follow. It can be like riding a cloud to a world of wonder and exciting adventures. Other times I read to relax and give my brain a vacation. Sometimes when I read, I become the narrator in my mind or even jump right into the pages and join right into the adventures as the main character. I become so connected with these characters, that when tragedy strikes or a celebration is due, it hits so close to home that you would think it were my dearest friends or close family members being affected. Reading is magical if you just let your imagination out to play.
tooradtogetmad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tooradtogetmad.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by tooradtogetmad »

I think most people can agree when I say I read to escape. It's really cool to be able to transport into different worlds and situations! I also sometimes enjoy imagining myself in these different scenarios, haha.
gabbyparker5100
Currently Reading: Star Wars
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by gabbyparker5100 »

Reading is a great way to relax and unwind. I love being able to completely transport myself into different worlds through the books I read.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I like reading non-fiction to learn more and expand my mind. I find that books are an amazing escape from reality and are very welcome when life is getting you down. Books about mystery are amazing as they keep you thinking.
shanmarkea
Currently Reading: a shrouded world 3
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by shanmarkea »

I love to read because it takes me out of my life and into someone else's. Sometimes it reminds me to be thankful for what I have and other times drives me to do better in my life.
Sincerely
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sincerely.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sincerely »

It's something i've loved doing since kindergarten, i started off with nancy drew series and now am hooked to just reading.
I get to learn new stuff, travel in my imagination to places that do exist or don't in the actual world.
Also i love writing, so it's a way to sharpen my writing skills and widen my imagination.
sammylamuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammylamuel.html
Latest Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Post by sammylamuel »

Reading is more than a hobby to me, i just love the way it drifts me to world of zero worries and ocean of knowledge not forgetting the thrill one gets while reading

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”