Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
teevic_o
Currently Reading: Paladin
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teevic-o.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by teevic_o »

It just transports me to a different place, with new adventures, new rules, new interesting characters, and if the book is well written, I never ever even want to leave.
It's a beautiful escape, I learn new things, find new friends, etc, and for weirdos like me who like nitpicking brains and are constantly curious, I find that I enjoy how authors tell stories in their different voices, leaving some traces of them in the process. It's like how you can feel J.K Rowling in Hermione, or Veronica Roth in Tris. It's all just beautiful to me.
I find that I love strong heroines most. They are just so captivating and empowering.
What we achieve inwardly will change our outer reality far more greatly than anything else.
~Plutarch
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I love reading for a few reasons. The first is that I can escape daily life. all the stressors and frustrations. Secondly, I get to live vicariously through the characters. Through them I can be anyone that I want to be. I can be a princess, a queen, a vampire, a shifter, an assassin, a detective, and much more. It doesn't matter what life I live in real life, I can travel to far off lands or even space travel to different galaxies when I read. Next, I can expand my knowledge. Learning words I've never heard or read before. Proper grammar visualized is proper grammar often used. The whole monkey see monkey do thing. Finally, in some instances, I can learn new things outside of English knowledge. For example, just after reading Apollo's Raven and reviewing it, I learned that before Scotland and Wales and outlying countries were known to us as such, they once were known as Britannia.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

I love reading. Its as if you're transported to an entirely different world. I guess its a bit like watching a great movie except this time you visualize the movie in your own mind.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I like to read to feel like I'm in another world and to escape my problems.
Melekwe Anthony
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Melekwe Anthony »

Reading for me offers opportunity to learn and improve. You discover things from the writer's view and you are introduced to the characters of but fictive and non-fictive existence.
When I read, I do it to know. Every other reason is secondary.
Lady Loch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-loch.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing
Reading Device: pdf

Post by Lady Loch »

It gives me the freedom to interpret or give meaning to things my way. Reading keeps me thinking. And I love learning new ideas.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Sparks my imagination.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

They are the adventures I will never have, and the only adventures I will have.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

I love reading because Iam a homemaker and Iam all alone most of the time at home. Reading books keep me engaged and doesn't make me sit idle. So i love reading books.
---
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Although there are many reasons I like to read, probably one of the main reasons is relaxation. I have a lot of pain and if I get wrapped up in a book although I still feel it I don't think about it every second. For some reason I relax better with a good book than I do watching television.
Clkm1109
Currently Reading: Sphere
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Clkm1109 »

Love reading because it takes you another world, in someone else's life. You can get lost in the writers emotion. You can get transferred to another world you never dreamed of. A good book keeps you reading to were you absolutely can't put it down. You keep saying to yourself Okay just one more chapter.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

it's always just been part of me. Its my escape.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Sakeenaahmad
Currently Reading: Undead Redhead
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Sakeenaahmad »

When I read I feel like I’m entering another world, a world of imagination, a world of unseen, a magical world or just a new scenario added to my imaginary life. Reading nonfiction is also very educational and a learning experience for all of us as well. I guess reading is just very enjoyable. Reading is captivating and that’s what makes me stay connected and looking forward to each and every new book that comes my way and that is of interest to me.😊
ShataraL
Currently Reading: Throne of Glass
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ShataraL »

Why wouldn’t you?

As a child it helped me deal with difficult problems. It transported me to another place, allowed me to go to a alternate reality in my mind and engross myself in whatever I was reading at the time.

I started to not only read but dissect, I got involved with the characters, story, I visualized, I felt.

Reading is amazing!!! It allows you to discover, to learn and develop.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I like reading because it lets me escape and be in someone else's headspace. I don't have to constantly think about what's going on in my life, I can think about other fantastical things happening in books.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”