Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by nfdaniel85 »

Wanderlust, curiosity, knowledge, and comfort. My great grandfather read to me every day as a child, and he always encouraged me to find the answers to my many questions in books.
Pauliny12
Currently Reading: From drift to shift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauliny12.html
Latest Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Pauliny12 »

I love to read as a way to relax at the end of the day and get my mind off the workday. I love reading non-fiction to continue to learn throughout life. You should never stop learning in life and I enjoy new topics every month. I love to discuss book topics with friends and family especially on holidays. It is my hobby and helps me stay current, active and help others.
Olublitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olublitz.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Olublitz »

It takes me to places I have never been and probably, will never see.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I like reading because it's the ultimate way for a human to gather knowledge. What one learns on books does not easily fall short of our memory. We may confuse one thing for another if we had a large library of knowledge in mind, but we would have that knowledge stored in the first place, which is what is most fascinating to me, being able to know.
Jolaugh_95
Currently Reading: Shades of Blues
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolaugh-95.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Jolaugh_95 »

We didn't have a TV when I was growing up, so we all read instead. It was not unusual for me and my sisters to spend an entire Saturday at the library picking out books. We checked out stacks of them every week or two, and my mom read to us almost every night before we went to bed. She not only taught us to love a good story, but to look deeper than the words to find the underlying assumptions, presuppositions, and messages the author was revealing.

My love of fiction started there, and I still love it today. As an adult, I've found that when I'm frustrated, anxious, or restless, reading a book takes me away from the upsetting situation for a while, and when I come back, I can look at my problems more objectively. I also sleep better if I lose myself in a book before drifting off. Made up stories take me to different places and let me into the minds and experiences of other people. When I'm in a book my mind is free to follow the twists and turns of someone else's life, and I am away from mine. I stop "introspecting" and just relax. So, I guess I'd have to say that reading is the ultimate place of escape and relaxation for me.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

I like reading because it keeps my mind working. I gain new knowledge and even discover new things. Reading increases my creativity and imagination as well. It also improves my language and communication skills. It is both a fun and learning experience.
eddyokoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddyokoth.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eddyokoth »

It's my hoobies wat I do at leasure time
Smmarie1988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmarie1988.html

Post by Smmarie1988 »

Reading is an escape. I get more from words on a page than I ever did from television or a movie. I also feel like you are learning while you read. I feel like I have a pretty substantial vocabulary but I still find words that I’m unfamiliar with. I’m not exactly sure what it is about reading but it seems like people who read tend to be more intelligent than those who don’t. Is it because people who read are more intelligent or are they more intelligent because they read? I’ve always wondered this?
Smmarie1988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmarie1988.html

Post by Smmarie1988 »

leslie.aponte wrote: 17 Oct 2007, 21:31 I love reading beacuse:

1) It helps me stop thinking about bad things. Like when I'm upset or very very mad, I grab a book and that just makes me forget about everything. It is a way of escaping reality.

2) English is not my first language, so it makes me learn grammar and just new words. For some weird reason I love to learn.

3) I love the different situations, people and places you can imagine while you read, or at least I, it makes it so much better than a movie.
I love to learn as well. I’m a curious person by nature and like to just know things. I don’t know how to explain it. I’m not content just sitting and watching a mindless television show. I love historical fiction. I love learning about different times, how people lived, that kind of thing.
JavaDaBud
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javadabud.html

Post by JavaDaBud »

One of the first reasons that popped in my head is that it makes me imagine. This is why almost all of my books are fantasy books. It is really surprising how well a book can affect your imagination and the way you think.
The other reason would be to escape. I used to do the same thing with movies. Whenever I'm feeling blue, I'd go open a movie. Now, I think I have a better grip on the books :techie-studyingbrown:
SJSharks
Currently Reading: Unshaken
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by SJSharks »

I like the fantasy and seeing things through the author or characters perspective. I like getting out of the reality of my world for a bit and diving into another world. I like being able to gain more knowledge and have something I can talk about with others. Some of the best conversations I have with others involve books.
princessERI
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 599">Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princesseri.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by princessERI »

chrstnafd wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 00:38 I used to read just to ease the boredom that I'm feeling but now I can't seem to stop, and it takes a big part in my life. Through reading I can see someone's soul, perspective, emotions and their thought that the authors have played in our minds. I honestly prefer this than to watch.
I also used this as means to pass the time. Less expensive because the materials needed is any reading material unlike videos which needed to copy or download. It also takes up a big amount of space.
It is also one way to learn.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

Reading is a way for me to escape from the stress around me. When the family and TV noises get out of control, I can sink into a book and my brain will shut out all of the noise. I often have 2 or 3 books I am reading at a time. Typically they are of different genres so I select my escape based on the stress level around. I like to read self-help, romance, intrigue and even sometimes erotica.
glitterrain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glitterrain.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by glitterrain »

It keeps my stimulation-craving brain occupied. Boredom HURTS.
Hannah_Vibbert
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Hannah_Vibbert »

First, I would like to say that I do not like reading... I LOVE reading! :lol: sorry... couldn't resist

I think the biggest reason I love to read is that it offers me an escape. Reading has always been a way for me to transport to a completely new world, surrounded by new people and events. It gives me the chance to take my mind of everything...my yelling kids, my stresses at home and work, and whatever political/social turmoil we are currently in. Books are my happy place :D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”