Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mashell Chapeyama
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Mashell Chapeyama »

Reading is great. When I read time flies, as I do not worry about a lot of life's challenges I face. It is enjoyable. I started extensive reading at a very young age and reading is now part of me. My mind is kept active and can easily analyze issues I face in life, in general.
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

I love reading because let's me be in someone else's shoes. If the main character, for example feels fear, I would probably feel fearful as well. It also let's my imagination flourish, by creating scenes from the book in my head. Reading books is amazing. I don't understand how people could hate it.
Joseph Musugu
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Joseph Musugu »

Reading helps in exploring the world as many articles cover stories of different areas,that is why I like reading

-- 07 Jul 2017, 06:59 --

Reading makes someone to be updated on current issues in the environment like reading Books that touch different places.
CHL
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chl.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by CHL »

Scott wrote:We all like reading. In fact, most of us would probably say that we love reading.

Why do you like it so much? What is it about reading that attracts you to it?

I think I like reading because it allows me to hear from people who have something important to say. You can read from the best thinkers no matter where they are or even when. I'm amazed by the fact that I can go to the book store and buy hours of reading material written by someone who lived hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

What about you?
I have pretty much the same reason as you, Scott. In addition, I feel like by reading I can better understand myself and/or the people around me. The perspectives and behavior of each character could reflect those of someone in your circle or someone that you are about to meet. It is easier to relate to them if you somehow understand why they are the way they are.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Harrygx3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrygx3.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy

Post by Harrygx3 »

I love reading because it teaches you many stuff from people across the globe no matter if they are dead or not. Another thing is that it teaches you new concepts with patience and introduces you to new ways of thought. A good book feels like a friend who tells you "hey, you are not alone there, there are other people who think alike" and that is really comforting^^
susmithasuresh
Currently Reading: A Kingdom Forgotten
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by susmithasuresh »

As a kid I always like to image something in mind . As i grew up my imagination capacity is limited reading books make me to imagine again .It make me to create a new world in my mind . where i am the viewer and story is unfolding in front of me as i read.Its a beautiful feeling which I experience while reading........... dreaming........... feeling........... imagining............ :P :P :P
GlassesGold

Post by GlassesGold »

The Wint'ry warmth of a nook
Or bedded nest enclosed.

(C) 2017 Luke Yates
veejayboyz

Post by veejayboyz »

Reading is a simple word but could give amazing outcomes. It is a very powerful act. It brings us closer to either success or failure. It brings us closer to either being good or bad. It brings us closer to either happy or sad. I do like and LOVE reading because it enhances me holistically as a person.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Scott wrote:We all like reading. In fact, most of us would probably say that we love reading.

Why do you like it so much? What is it about reading that attracts you to it?

I think I like reading because it allows me to hear from people who have something important to say. You can read from the best thinkers no matter where they are or even when. I'm amazed by the fact that I can go to the book store and buy hours of reading material written by someone who lived hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

What about you?
It saved my life and gave me purpose. It's too bad in Africa that purpose that purpose isn't worth much but we'll should. I think reading, and writing for some, keeps that fire/passion in us bright and high. :techie-reference:
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Lyra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyra.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lyra »

I like reading because it transports me to unique and exotic locations in different complex situations. I'd be in imagined adventure to my heart's content with the added bonus that I can go back and join the adventure all over again. The relational material in books also attract me to it. The fact that I can relate to such characters excites and humbles me.
desareedany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desareedany.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by desareedany »

Because reading forces your brain to use your imagination to conjure up your own images of what you're reading. It's an escape into another time and place. Movies rob us of the use of our imagination.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Bookaholic15
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Bookaholic15 »

I like reading because I can forget all about what is happening in the real word and have it dissolve around me as I discover the world the character is living in. Reading is an escape from the pain and hardships.
Rawen
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Rawen »

My main reason is to escape reality. Second, i've got to learn new things. Lastly, Like to study how other people think by reading their stories.
Jackie Donnelly
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackie-donnelly.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch

Post by Jackie Donnelly »

I like to escape and explore different worlds. Reading takes me to places I would never get to go otherwise.
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

Reading is my absolute favorite activity, and it has been for most of my life.

I grew up an only child in a very small town, so I had to find something to occupy my time and reading became that "something"!

I love the fact that by reading I can go anywhere at any time in history....I am transported into another time and place and everything else fades away!

I have learned so much over the years by reading. What could be better???

Paula :D
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”