Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by KiMB00P »

To me, reading takes me to far away places, and I can imagine everything that's happening like watching a movie in my mind's eye. I begin to relate to characters as if I actually knew them in person and absolutely anything is possible in a great book!

I've been trying to get my stepson into reading more and have put hundreds of books on his kindle. When he sees me reading or hears me talking about my current books, I can see that it really motivates him to be taken away and impacted by reading like it does to me. Last weekend he told me that we should read the same books so that we can talk about them together like a book club. :D That made me so proud since he's only 10 years old!
Lu-Ellen
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-ellen.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Lu-Ellen »

I started reading as a child as an escape from my life. I could pick a book up and suddenly not be the frightened little girl who hated being at home I could be a warrior or a princess I could be a queen I could be anything. As I got older my love for reading continued. I'm now disabled with an illness that causes me an incredible amount of pain and reading is yet again am escape, it makes me forget my pain. When reading Im no longer the door disabled girl who can't do anything again o can be whatever I want.
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I love escaping into other worlds while reading books... which is probably why I end up reading almost entirely fiction!
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Prof Edith
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Prof Edith »

I like reading because of curiosity... to understand the Mind of the writer, I
feel there is a purpose for his/her artifacts.. more so i just Find myself interested
also i Love reading fiction because I feel its mirror of the World... a window
also for expression
Liliya
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Tangible Spirits</a>
Bookshelf Size: 1249
Reading Device: B00GQDBZUY

Post by Liliya »

I learned to read by my self at three and a half years age, I was so keen on learning to read because of all the hidden treasures that was hidden inside the books. Once I had learnt I had my mom drive me to the library, I proudly strode over to the head librarian and asked to get a card so I could borrow books, proudly stating I am going to read thru every book you have here, and followed up with asking what the limitation on amount of books/tupe etc, one could lend each time. In the beginning she limited me to childrens books (to my great dismay I was a big girl, and four whole years old). The second limitation was that I could not borrow more books than I could carry.
That burning curiosity, to learn, to experience to immerse my self in a book has never vanished. I still feel the same.
I did fullfill my promise and read every book even lawbooks and wordbooks and reference books.
There is a marvellous way to say what books can mean to some:
-"No matter if there is rain & tears, sunshine & laughter, joy or sadness, the escape is near, hidden in the lines of a story told within the format of a book"
Lu-Ellen
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-ellen.html

Post by Lu-Ellen »

I remember my own experience with the library. As a child I read all the children books and had too get a note from my mum to say I was allowed into the young adult section when I had read all this section I then needed another note from my mum to say I was allowed in the adult section with the exception of Stephen king I wasn't allowed to read him I mean I was 9 years old at this point. Which of course made me want to read his books even more lol.
Why is a raven like a writing desk ??
Liliya
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Tangible Spirits</a>
Bookshelf Size: 1249
Reading Device: B00GQDBZUY

Post by Liliya »

Lu-Ellen wrote:I remember my own experience with the library. As a child I read all the children books and had too get a note from my mum to say I was allowed into the young adult section when I had read all this section I then needed another note from my mum to say I was allowed in the adult section with the exception of Stephen king I wasn't allowed to read him I mean I was 9 years old at this point. Which of course made me want to read his books even more lol.
:D :D
Would you like to guess what happened after my parents had to sign of on notes three times a week.. :lol:
My dad (My hero) he took me by the hand and we went there he explained to the head librarian that I was allowed what ever i was curious about, and he would sign a in blanco permit for that if needed :D
Abdullai Rogers
Currently Reading: Three weeks in spring
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Abdullai Rogers »

Few reason while i love reading is (1 to built my ment
alal capacity(2 to travel around the world through imagination
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I luv to read because I enter a new world and get to know all these amazing new characters. Books can also widen your perspective on life and help you are things from other peoples points of view. In top of that I love coming across words I don't know and expanding my vocabulary.
Crazyninjababy
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Crazyninjababy »

Why do you like reading?
I like/love to read because I can escape my world while I jump into the characters life while reading. I forget about what's going on in my life and just read. It's peaceful and you can learn so much from books that you never thought you would.
KleosMarieDette
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 48">Beauty and the Billionaire (Billionaire Boys Club #2)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by KleosMarieDette »

Why do I LIKE to READ?

I like to read cause it's the way where I can slip out of reality. By reading books (mostly Fantasy and Historical Genres) I forget all the bad things that happening to me or anything negative. It became a thing that relieves me of my stress and soothes me whenever I'm feeling down.

Since I'm kinda antisocial and my social skills are quite non existent, books are my companion every second of my everyday life :techie-studyingbrown:
Cavario
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Cavario »

To improve my language skills and equaly learn the culture of different people
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

Why do I like reading? Hmm... The most basic answer would be "escape". It relaxes me and takes my mind off the troubles and worries of the world. In reading I find peace. And the satisfaction I get after reading a good work of art is way beyond climax.? I get all happy and smiley or sad and all, depending on the end note of the read.?
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Nina Butler
Currently Reading: rubies
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-butler.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Nina Butler »

It seems a lot of us read to escape. That used to be my reason when I was younger. I now read for research and understanding of what it means to be an author. I am myself trying to become a writer. I like to see what people like to read about in certain genres and what works and what doesn't. I think that reading for me is a way to see what is out there and try and come up with a book that I would like to read that hasn't been written yet.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
HarleyQuinn2016
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harleyquinn2016.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by HarleyQuinn2016 »

The is a tough question because there are so many different reasons to love to read. For me, I like to be transported into another time, place, life, or where ever the author is taking me. My favorite stories are where the author takes the time to develop the location and the scenery.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”