Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Emmanuel Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-michael.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Emmanuel Michael »

I like to read because it is impartful. Every book of any category has its message to pass across that would be able to change your mindset and increase your IQ :tiphat:
Nalia J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nalia-j.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nalia J »

I love learning and every time I read, I always learn something new and it makes me happy.
SLD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SLD »

When I was younger, I read mostly self-help books to become more informed/educated about specific topics, i.e. parenting, marriage, etc.
Now that I'm retired, I love to read just to relax; haven't read a self-help book since I retired almost two years ago. :-)
Philippians 4:8
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I like to read because it gives me a chance to escape into the shoes of the protagonist, and I really like that feeling and connection. It also gives more things to learn and explore as a person. As a lifelong learner, I feel that it is best to grow by reading and gaining new forms of knowledge. Reading is how I have learned about different cultures from around the world, like seeing what things are considered the societal norms in places like Japan or South Korea. I have so much more insight and tolerance than I think I would if I hadn't been interested in reading. It has helped me gain quite the vocabulary and make friends with individuals with similar frames of mind in the need for knowledge. I also know that if I were to one day lose all of my material possessions, I would still have a vast amount of wealth due to the knowledge that I have gained through my love of reading and learning.
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sepicatt »

I love reading because it triggers my imagination. I can visualize characters and live in different worlds momentarily. I love analyzing text and comparing how different authors approach the same subject and same genres. Reading is fun and a great outlet for me to destress.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I love reading because I like going to random places when the characters. I also like to read to learn things.
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

There are so many reasons why I like reading. Here are just a few:

1) I learn so much and become more openminded.
2) I gain exposure to people and places I'd never be able to in person.
3) I have a conversation with people who aren't even alive anymore. It's amazing that I can hear the thoughts and ideas of authors from the past.
4) I can go on magnificent journies and experience multiple lifetimes despite technically only having one life.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I love reading because it provides a plethora of information. Also, reading offers entertainment.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
RLDunnAuthor
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by RLDunnAuthor »

Reading is the ultimate escape. Brings me what I need at the moment--laugh, cry, turn on, be peaceful.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

Reading allows me in become immersed in another life, another time or another world. I love opening a book and just becoming lost for a few hours before returning to my my own blessings. It’s also as educational as it is entertaining.
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

My number one reason for reading is escapism. Life gets a bit too heavy, too fast these days and being able to jump into the lives of extraordinary people in mind blowing situations is just the best thing there is.

My second reason for reading is to learn more about the world. It is so easy to build a bubble around ourselves and only experience what we want to. I read to learn about people and places I know nothing about in the hopes that I won't be an annoying, closeminded person who is impossible to be around.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I first started reading as a teenager to escape the harsh reality of my life at the time, now I read to expand my mind and entertain myself.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I trace my love of reading back to my cherished memory of being read to by mom and also of discovering the first book I ever truly loved - The Folk of the Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton. Re-reading those favorite books, or reading about familiar places, times, and people helps me recall the details of my own life. It reminds me of who I am, where I am, and how I came to be here. :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
abiodunlawal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by abiodunlawal »

I attended a local primary school and a local secondary school but i love books especially books with pictures when i was at a tender age. I started speaking english when i got to year 3 of my secondary school education. Then i discovered United States Information Service (USIS) where i got to read magazine like Readers Digest and other international newspapers. Here i fell in love with visiting library. My first job after my secondary school was in the library. My (course of study is Library and Information Science. After university education i work in a UK library (British Council Library) Lagos in charge of Reference and Education as Information Officer. All my life is library. I have had encounter and read many books. There are many reasons i love reading but the above formed the habit of why i love reading.
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

It's like dreaming when you are awake except it lasts longer, and you can always go back to it in case you forget the details. :) I love to read and imagine. Life would not be the same if I did not read. It would be vague and lack meaning. I also like the pace. Technology will not even take that from me.....hopefully.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”