Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Maki jo21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Maki jo21 »

I like reading because of various reasons .. I like reading because it makes me forget all the things that are happening to me .. I like reading because it shows me a way to be better person by giving wider perspective on many issues... I like reading because it gives me hope,you might be asking how, Reading gives me hope because the characters in the book pass through very rough times and at the end it all passes away and they win.. I like reading because I will be able to know many things that I didnt face in real life
uranoscopy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uranoscopy.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by uranoscopy »

I think I adore reading because its an escape from reality. Not that my reality isn't great; its fine, actually. I just think books allow you to go on a journey that can be as fantastical as the book permits, and, while you could be a normal, human being going about your mundane life, when you're reading an epic saga, you're right there with the main heroes in their greatest battles and worst failures. It's almost like living another life temporarily. I think books are magic in their own respect.
Luvahlot

Post by Luvahlot »

I was a quiet child . I hated to interact with other people. Reading was a form of escape for me.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I have a very stressful job, as I'm sure many of you do as well. Reading gives me the out that lets me forget my woes and focus on something completely unrelated to my daily routine.
It's also a way to see into other ways of thinking, expand my thoughts of reality and help relate with the world at large. I think that people who read a lot - both in volume and variety - have an easier time putting themselves in someone else's shoes and relating to people who may not seem to be relatable.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I like to read to escape. I like to travel to new places and experience new worlds, both real and imaginary, through reading.
Zeli0828

Post by Zeli0828 »

If the book is well written and descriptive, my imagination is better than any movie ever made. Fast forward, rewind, replay, pause, start, stop, etc. - all done with the flip of a page or pages and I never have to look for the remote control. No one talking and asking questions through the good part. What’s better than that!
Samantha Powell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-powell.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samantha Powell »

I love to read because it's healthy! It works our brains! It forces us to think, form opinions, and use our imaginations.

Also, reading gives us someplace to go when we are stuck where we are. It allows us to be someone else ,without the responsibility that goes with it.

I've used reading as a coping method for my anxiety and depression since I was a child. There is nothing better when you are feeling down than slaying a dragon, or falling in love.
Luv2Read26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luv2read26.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Luv2Read26 »

I like reading because I can be transported to a different place and time. I love a lot of different genres of books. I'm just drawn to books like a bee to flowers. I love good storylines and interesting characters.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
ObscureBookworm
Currently Reading: Hidden Bodies
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ObscureBookworm »

I don't like it- I'm in love with it. I haven't had the best life, and it's even still a hellish whirlwind, but I could always count on books to help me get through each day. It's become such a common thing to say these days, but it truly is my escape. I love having the imagination envision it like it's on a T.V. screen as I read the words or like I have been submerged into their world. Reading really is an amazing thing. Truly, you can do or be anything just about through the pages of a book. You can also find how you aren't alone. Also, ever get feelings or an event that happens- good or bad- and never know or not fully how word/describe it, sometimes stumble across something that describes it perfectly and everything clicks into place? These are some of the reasons why I adore reading. I hope I made sense. 😅
Seth018
Currently Reading: Tai Solarin
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Seth018 »

I like reading because it makes me feel I'm on top of the world.
joykan++2014

Post by joykan++2014 »

I like reading because it opens my mind to deeper thinking and and allows me to see things in new perspectives. Most authors share lived experiences and wisdom that build on behaviors, habits and inspire me to change to become a better person. Learning from other people's experiences and stories is what has made me to become what I am. Reading is a tool that offers me with the experience, wisdom and knowledge to build my own story in life.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

• informative reading
    Educative reading
    Entertainment
    Escape from reality
    Increasing vocabulary
    Choice of words
The list goes on and on
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
TerraKern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by TerraKern »

I don't like reading, I love it!!

I love that books can take me either back or forward in time, take me to places I've never been and some places I'll never be this side of eternity. And to me, reading is a great relaxer and stress reliever. Better than Calgon, lol!
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

Mostly for entertainment or to pass time. It’s also nice to be transported to another world or live through the lives of the book characters.
Rojinrena
Favorite Book: On the Island (On the Island, #1)
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rojinrena.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rojinrena »

For me, reading was always a way of disappearing from this world to reappear in a different, meeting with people who only exist in between the covers, to travel to places where I wouldn't be able to travel any other way. If a book is great it grabs you by your heart and your mind and keeps you till the last word of the last page and sometimes beyond it.

For me the line between these two worlds sometimes so fine, that after i look up from the pages for a second I don't know which world exist and which is my imagination and that is what I love most about reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”