Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Hiru1998+ »

I like reading because I get to understand people through reading. Also I get to meet people who are very passionate about reading books too. Book lovers are these amazing human beings that are really committed to books. You can talk whatever with them. Also books carry me to my own safe world.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

I love reading because I can learn about an infinite amount of people, cultures, and perspectives.
Nithilah Ayyappan
Currently Reading: We Hunt the Flame
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nithilah-ayyappan.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B07KR2N2GF

Post by Nithilah Ayyappan »

To escape reality. But that's not me saying that I don't like my life and my reality. Sometimes you need a place to go to forget your worries and simply live in a different type of life. That's what books are to me. A good book will draw me into its world, and allow me to completely forget where I physically am. I love reading because it's an escape, and it's a new journey to a new world.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

I fell like everybook has something to teach you. If the book is like a failure at least it will practise you to read. This is why I feel very guilty if I could not complete reading a book. I fear that I might miss a chance of learning something however small the message might be.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I think this is a very common answer, but I like reading to escape. I love travelling to different worlds while being stuck in one single place. It also breaks the monotony of real life.
Plus, it's a coping mechanism for me. I have depression and anxiety, so reading distracts me temporarily and takes me to a different world, where I feel like I'm in control.
Bluebird61
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Bluebird61 »

I would like to read books that are self-help that you can take action and apply things to your life and get results that are nothing but positive and enhancing to one's core.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

Originally reading was my escape. My home life as a child was very secluded and aside from school and church I did not go out much. And for whatever reason I have a hard time interacting with people, relating to people, and being a person in general, so reading helps me to cope. I love historical autobiographies as well, specifically people who lived through the holocaust. Their stories inspire me, and remind me to be grateful for my relatively easy way of life.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Scott wrote: 17 Oct 2007, 23:09
leslie.aponte wrote:1) It helps me stop thinking about bad things. Like when I'm upset or very very mad, I grab a book and that just makes me forget about everything. It is a way of escaping reality.
I'm the same way. Whenever I get home from a dramatic night, or if something has upset me, I usually read a book for a long time and then go to sleep. I am not exactly sure why that helps. What's especially odd is that I find sad books help me when I am sad, and other moods are also helped by stories that match them. If I was feeling desperate, a story with a lot of despair would help stabilize me. Perhaps it is just a way to release the feelings.
The same here. Once there were big posters on all train stations here in the Netherlands, saying that even 4 minutes of reading lower stress level in a significant way (and below there were random exceptions from different books). So I think there's quite a big stress-lowering factor in reading; probably caused by redirecting our attention to some other story than our own. It works better than for example movies, because if forces our minds to use our own imagination, not to see the story exactly the way someone else imagined (like in case of a film).
Moreover I have a lot of appreciation for people who can use language in a skilled way, sometimes I read words put together and I just feel this amazement, like, wow, this is so beautifully said! It's like a different kind of esthetics, not visual but coming from your mind perception.
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dennisbragra »

For me it has everything to do with gathering information as much as i can.

i also like getting the different perspectives that authors give
Caleb 044
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caleb-044.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Caleb 044 »

I like reading because from each book I read I make sure I get to learn a lot from the books. Also I would like to one-day write my own book so I read to sharpen my skills.
Nasray22
Currently Reading: Raptor Canyon
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Nasray22 »

1. I like reading because i believe it's a healthy way of using my free time rather than engage in other behaviours.
2. Reading also allows me to view things from a different perspective and learn what goes on around me and in the rest of the world.
3. Reading is also informative, inspirational and can really help someone in a positive way.
4. Finally, reading is actually fun just like listening to music or any other activities.
Poojitha_panchadarla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poojitha-panchadarla.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth by Antoine Bonner

Post by Poojitha_panchadarla »

Let's be honest, I don't like reading. I love it!
For starters, it expands my imagination. It's a rejuvenating activity and a stress booster. Moreover, it challenges me to change my perspective, allows me to experience various realities and is altogether refreshing.
Terkula Azakere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Terkula Azakere »

Basically, I love reading so much as it will generally increase my knowledge.
To me, reading is so educative, informative and entertaining.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

Mostly to escape, to get lost in places and situations I probably would never experience in real life.
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

There are 7-8 billion people on earth. Which equals to exactly 7-8 billion individual consciousnesses.

I mean it is amazing to get to know what one thinks and can produce from his thoughts, by reading a book.

We all know something that someone doesn't and by the virtue of books we can share the information with each other throughout generations.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”