Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
aycealxs
Currently Reading: Between the Lines There Lies a Story of Me
Bookshelf Size: 2

Icon Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by aycealxs »

When I was a kid, I used to gather all my school books and read all the short stories written inside. There are times where I would even reread those short stories.

I love reading because when I read, it's like there's a movie playing in my head. It enhances my imagination and adds new meaning into the things I don't quite understand.

When I read, I get to learn new things which fuels my mind and makes me inspired. I would sometimes daydream about myself reading a great novel in a quiet place inside the campus where the wind blows a cool air and would make all the trees dance along its rythm.

Just thinking about myself reading a book makes me feel relaxed and happy. That's how much I love reading.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Since 12 years old, I use to read to get lost in that world, to get away from my troubles. Later I could learn a lot about what others have to say specially in WW2 book. Each person give a different picture. It's a never ending ride!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
inkoncedar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by inkoncedar »

Solely for the escapism reading provides.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I read for a few reasons. For one, I use it to escape reality. I get tired of the stress and drama of my world, so I turn to reading to center myself and calm down. Another reason I read is to learn. I may not read biographies and non-fiction, but I think you can learn plenty from fiction novels. I also read to get ideas for my own writing. It's a great way to get ideas for characters, plot, and setting, and it's a great way to see what works and what doesn't work.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
The_Book_Thief

Post by The_Book_Thief »

The reason I like reading is you can travel without actually travelling. You just pick a book, open it and there is your new world. You can visit any place, present or history. You meet new people and learn their culture through the stories you read. I get inspiration from many main characters of the books I read. For me, reading means a way to explore world and to be anything I want.
Maja Saveva

Post by Maja Saveva »

You learn new things, you improve your vocabulary, you escape into another greater world and so on...
Olak4720
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Olak4720 »

I read because I see it as a means of getting vital information which get me updated about issue in the world and it also keep me busy.
ricalozano

Post by ricalozano »

I like reading because it helps me improve myself as a whole. It expands my knowledge and imagination towards many things. Through reading, I am able to discover many things that aren’t taught by the people around me. It ables me to see beyond my naked eyes.
Sariel88
Currently Reading: Demon Freaks
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00I0FT792

Post by Sariel88 »

I read for the escapism, being able to travel to far off locations without actually leaving home. I like to imagine the scenes as if they were from a movie. Reading is a great source of entertainment.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Reading allows me to widen my imagination, when I read a book, I put myself in the shoes of the protagonist or sometimes antagonist and imagine what I would have done in such situation. I learn a lot too from reading.
Aly88
Currently Reading: The Voice of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Aly88 »

I've always enjoyed reading, my books are my home away from home. I always have one I'm reading, and one for back up! They give me peace, entertainment, and new friends! :techie-studyingbrown:
thenuttybookblogger
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2829">Dear Amy</a>
Currently Reading: 15 minutes alone with god for men
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by thenuttybookblogger »

I was not always a reader, I was a slow reader and zero comprehension in grade school. I was made fun of. Now that I am older, 51, I learned about reading for pleasure when I got divorced and raised my daughter as a single mom. It became my go to! My escape. I do not drink or do drugs so this is my drug of choice. Love to read and do book reviews. If I could get paid to do it I would!
Muwanika

Post by Muwanika »

reading is not only adventure but also a loop for mysteries.A vivid source of hope,joy,comfort as well as proof to our mental experiments.A strong tool that clarifies we are naive and hence must listen to each other every single breath.Besides,it is a broad test to our intelligence quotients that keeps us yearning for the author's thought as they unendingly unfold events according to their wish.Furthermore,it is a reasonable view of how leisure can be addictively spent in this fast paced world. Also,reading is a primary source of wealth.reading keeps the author and their readers intact and interested in a common matter of thought.Interestingly,it reveals our mental capabilities to delve into issues of which we were neither victims nor witnesses.infact,the virtue shapes us into bearers of common sense.inarguably,reading goes beyond our thinking borders and instills in us the would be unknown ventures.lastly,reading also throws light onto our blunt skills.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

My parents started reading books out loud to me as a child and I think that is where my love of books comes from. My mom is also a big reader too so she has influenced me a lot in that way.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I like reading because it is the best way to connect with the minds of other people. I always prefer non-fiction books since most of them are very educative and for me, learning never stops. Every book always has something to offer.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”