Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jennibabe31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennibabe31.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by jennibabe31 »

I like reading to relax. But I also really get into a book and can imagine myself there, and that makes reading an adventure to me.
Catia
Favorite Book: Godsgrave
Currently Reading: The priest of blood
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catia.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Catia »

Reading is relaxing, it's my sanctuary, where I can hide from the world when I don't like it, or from people. Every book takes me in a new place, teaches me something new and gives me other views on different topics, which makes me think more carefully.
I can say that reading shaped not only my mind but my personality as well. It helped me in difficult moments while growing up, and through the following years till now, a real life saver!
And it is a lot of fun and seldom boring.
How can't you not love reading?!
kastle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kastle.html
Latest Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Post by kastle »

Reading helps keep my brain active, especially since going through chemo. It keeps me focused.
Taniatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taniatt.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Taniatt »

I like reading because it offers a different perspective and provide enjoyment. It also helps me to imagine.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I like a good story in any form - book, tv show, movie, etc. Stories allow you to learn new things, empathize, escape, etc. It's hard to know the exact reasons I read because I have loved it for so long, and it probably depends on the day and the book. Some books I read to enjoy and some I read to expand my knowledge.
BadEditions
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-badeditions.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by BadEditions »

I read for lots of reasons
a) Because it's fun.
b) To be able to live a thousand lifetimes, and experience life in so many ways that I may not be able to in reality.
c) To see life from different perspectives, and learn more about myself through the eyes of different characters.
d) It's an escape when life isn't treating me well.
e) I feel like I'm taking part in the great conversation that's been going on since the beginning of humanity. It's like getting messages from the past and having conversations with people in other dimensions.
f) It expands my mind , empathy, and knowledge.

That's why reading = life :romance-heartbeating:
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

certifiedbookworm wrote: 21 Sep 2009, 14:57 I love reading because it opens new things to the imagination. It's like you can escape the real world and teleport to a fantasy world. You can let your imagination run free and explore places that you haven't been to. Reading also broadens the vocabulary, so you can learn while having fun. It's food for the brain and no one wants a starving brain. Reading is fun and fundamental and I can't imagine life without knowing how to read :)
I love using my imagination to read and allowing it to "run free". Not to mention, the extended vocabulary is a huge perk of picking up so many books!
Diteit
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Diteit »

Reason is simple. Everything gives its own experiences, so as reading do.
olutunbi peter

Post by olutunbi peter »

i like reading with passion. The more you read the more informed you are. Your horizon is enlarged and you scope of knowledge is expanded continually. Your iq is sharpened and you get better than those on the same knowledge level with you. Reading is living well and living right. olutunbi peter
Miss Understood
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Miss Understood »

I read to increase my knowledge for one. The internet and google have made things much easier to learn about. But the "real" reading i do to enter unknown worlds, have adventures, laugh, cry, and feel different emotions. I read to escape my stressors, even for just a little bit. Honestly i think i read because it keeps my half way sane. (Warning: some may dispute that last statement)
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Miss Understood wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 15:34 I read to increase my knowledge for one. The internet and google have made things much easier to learn about. But the "real" reading i do to enter unknown worlds, have adventures, laugh, cry, and feel different emotions. I read to escape my stressors, even for just a little bit. Honestly i think i read because it keeps my half way sane. (Warning: some may dispute that last statement)
I am with you on escaping through books. Sometimes it is nice to live the lives of others in the story then your own. Reading is a healthy way to deal with stress. Better than drugs or alcohol in my view.
sammiereads
Currently Reading: Truthwitch
Bookshelf Size: 546

Post by sammiereads »

I can go to places I would never be able to go to or dream of. Also whenever I read, I feel slightly smarted every time I finish a book :)
AlainaElric
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by AlainaElric »

They are worlds painted by words... and as a saying of one of my favorite books, "All knowledge is worth having." I read for knowledge, and I read for pleasure. I read to calm myself, to lead myself to sleep, to invoke thoughts on philosophy, to relate to worlds beyond my own, to have a home and family when I otherwise lack one.
lawrencekabi
Currently Reading:

Post by lawrencekabi »

Well I do like reading simply because it broadens my views and perspective of things. I am able to respect the opinions of others and at the same time reach out to them. As the saying goes reading is to the mind while exercise is to the body
Ladysy1

Post by Ladysy1 »

I enjoy reading because it helps me to gain and/or enhance my knowledge of many subjects. I mainly read many morality based subject matters. These help me, not only understand the world and it’s many intricate manifestations; also how to navigate in it conscientiously. :techie-reference: :doh:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”