Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
chloe0x29a
Currently Reading: Lustmord
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by chloe0x29a »

I love how reading allows my imagination to flow with the book as I get sucked into the story. On top of allowing me to learn many things when it comes to the world, society, history or just to better myself in some way. I feel that I get so much more out of reading then I spend time watching shows movies or documentaries.
Nenye progress
Currently Reading: Curve Coutour
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-progress.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Nenye progress »

I love to read because of the suspense in the book, not easily predictable, if at all. I also love reading because of the escape from reality, how my imaginations work without limit, helping me enjoy and be glued to any book I pick to read. The feeling of being lost in a book is fantastic.
I also read about people, their life, challenges, strength and then learn my lessons from them all.
Get inspiration and strength from your book
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Mslady143
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Mslady143 »

I love reading because it makes me feel calm and peaceful. I enjoy a good laugh and exotic or mysterious book always keeps me on urge.
Mslady143

Post by Mslady143 »

I like reading because I feel calm and like my mind is exercising. I enjoy good books that keep me on the edge and wanting to know What's next or how it ends which in terms means keep reading lol. A good book can always get you stuck to the point where you want to finish it all in one day lol...
Atheinne
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by Atheinne »

I read as a way to entertain myself. I'm an indoor person and I like to spend my time reading a lot. Although, I get outdoorsy sometimes but only applicable to buying important stuff, hiking, road trips and to enjoy the nature.
KDeLeon15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdeleon15.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by KDeLeon15 »

Reading is very near and dear to me. My reading career started out very rough in first grade I still could not read with all the struggles and the small town environment I lived in at the time it's amazing a very special teacher found me. My first-grade teacher was overwhelmed with students and wasn't adequately supplied with the knowledge of how to teach a kid with dyslexia to read, I'm pretty sure she hadn't even heard of it but another teacher had and she took time on me taught me life-changing tools and skills along with Hooked on Phonics. It took her a year one year to change my life. So I love reading because I remember the shame and embarrassment along with the fear that I would never read, I remember my aunts and uncle talking about how my mother had an illiterate child and looking back I see how close that came to be true. Besides just the general gratefulness I have for being able to read I was a quiet child as I am a quite adult and books and reading showed me worlds beyond my small town and gave me a voice. I love that reading makes me think and challenges what I thought I knew
Scolletapie
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scolletapie.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by Scolletapie »

Reading makes me appreciate other people's way of thinking. As much as I love writing, I need to read to acquire more knowledge and still diversify my perspective.

When you are reading,especially an interesting book,it makes get out of the happennjng of the real world...that's me
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
dee74
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Dracula</a>
Currently Reading: The Prodigal Son
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee74.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dee74 »

It's fun and a great way to be in other worlds and meet new characters. You get to find new authors and read books that they like or books similar to books and authors you like plus you meet new friends like you.
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I like reading because it allows me to use my imagination.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
dee74
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Dracula</a>
Currently Reading: The Prodigal Son
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee74.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dee74 »

It also helps you come up with new ideas.
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html

Post by David_92 »

I love reading because it is like a time machine whereby I can go to the past and read about what was the culture, law and weather then. I can also read about the current happenings of the world and have an intellectual understanding of what is happening today. I can also read on projections about tomorrow regarding various topics. Reading enables me to achieve what people think one cannot live long enough to see.
Musae
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Musae »

I love reading because it opens up new worlds and I can live in my imagination. I have been reading since primary school.
Placid Distortion
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-placid-distortion.html
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by Placid Distortion »

Originally, escapism in the form of entertainment (to put it bluntly), because I exclusively read fiction and would get absorbed to points sometimes nearing obsession with whatever written world I'd most thoroughly enjoyed up to that point (fandom life before Tumblr made it acceptable). Over time, collecting information became a factor but more towards simple acquisition of book than towards really enjoying them. Now, because just having the time to read means time to relax and if it's a good book then it will also be engaging in multiple ways, which can be as useful as it is entertaining.
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

I can recall at least one time where I read a book solely to escape reality. For the most part, I enjoy reading because of the plots you can get sucked into, the things you can learn, the creativity you can discover...I can't explain why I enjoy reading so much in words. It makes me happy. Plus, I've been reading since I was able to - it brings back memories to just pick up a book and read without interruption.
Jtminor5
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jtminor5.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Jtminor5 »

I remember when I was growing up with my grams, she'd tell me all the time that is go blind because I would always read at night. I hated lights and still do. If I don't need it, there's no reason for it to be on. So, I would read with the light from my tv. Needless to say, I'm not blind. But I've always been addicted to reading. I love challenging my mind to all lengths and levels. I love books to increase imagination, vocabulary, and to differentiate ways of thinking. I love traveling, and some books allow you to, mentally. Like the movie, "the neverending story", some books allow you to become part of the book. I love the escape, and ability to emotionally and mentally synchronize with the characters. The authors pull you in at times, with the graphic crime scenes or graphic love scenes, that it seems as though you've slipped into an alternate universe. Reading can be a source of therapy, in my opinion

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”