Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Taurus_27496
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taurus-27496.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear by Jerry A. Greenberg

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Taurus_27496 »

As an introvert I found solace in books. People think my social circle is lacking but they don't realise I have my own circle with the characters I read. Also, I've always been interested in languages. I love reading because it allows me to keep to myself while still knowing others (characters) and also because it helps my vocabulary.
Chimuka Muungo
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimuka-muungo.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by Chimuka Muungo »

To make a movie in my head. Its a fascinating world when you become the illustrator of the words in front of you. Also,i read to improve my vocabulary.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

Gives me the chance to live different lives each time I pick up a book.
“Just keep swimming.”
Kristen_reads
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kristen_reads »

I love reading because it was and continues to be an escape from the real world. When I was little I went through some times of feeling really alone and as silly as it might be to say books and the characters inside them became my friends. As I grew up and felt less alone that joy I found in reading never went away.
Karlee Berrios
Currently Reading: House of Earth and Blood
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlee-berrios.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Onyx Gold

Post by Karlee Berrios »

I use reading as a way to escape the world when it gets to be too much. And I think it’s good to see the world from someone else’s eyes from time to time.
elouie44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elouie44 »

A lot of reasons. Mainly, it's entertaining and fun. I especially love reading fantasy, which I love because it opens me up to new worlds and dimensions. I also love reading about characters that are either similar to me or inspiring in some way. As a reader I'm definitely drawn the characters more than the plot of a book, so when I love a character or multiple I become completely invested in the book and will probably spend my time later looking up fanart of them.
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

I used to only read books people said are good, like classics, and though I liked those books, I didn't really feel connected to most of them. But then I got sick because of stress, and the only things that got my mind off of it was reading books I was actually interested in, not the ones people would consider me smart for reading.
Neelakshi jain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neelakshi-jain.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Neelakshi jain »

I love reading books because I like to imagine stuff instead of just watching it. Books are the best friend of humans and in my case, it is true because when I am alone, I read a book and I don't feel alone anymore. There are so many more reasons that I read books.
When you read a book on a topic you need to know about and want to know what you have to do. Most people just listen to other people but when you read a book you know from experts directly.
Reading books somehow is necessary
Smriti Sawal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smriti-sawal.html
Latest Review: My Living Will by John Trautwein

Post by Smriti Sawal »

I like to read because it transports me to another world and I think this would be a reason for majority of population. Just by reading, you get to experience so much from what the characters are going through, Reading also helps me a lot to keep an open mind about things. In real life, if we see or hear something, we immediately make some assumptions and pass a judgement even when we don't know the background of the situation but in books, we don't have that choice which is great. Books always gives context about everything (at least good books do that :P) and hence we get a chance to acquire a good understanding of a situation and then pass a judgement like why someone behaved a specific way or acted a specific way.
Reading just makes me happy in general and I can spend whole day just reading and doing nothing else.
DE Navarro
Currently Reading: The Way of Zen
Bookshelf Size: 51

Post by DE Navarro »

I love learning and study. I love being transported to new worlds, other worlds, other eras, other times, other cultures and societies. Books transport me, they carry me away. Reading puts my brain in a whole new universe at times. There is no greater escape from the humdrum of everyday life than to soar the universe of words. Using my brain is refreshing and regenerative. When I escape or travel worlds away in books it is not an escape "from" reality, but an immersion in a greater reality. It is an escape from humdrum of every day life by being transported to realities that are larger than life and dig deeply into life. If knowledge is power, then the only way to gather that knowledge is through words or experiences. Words are powerful and important.
AbandonedProfile1
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annica-steyn.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by AbandonedProfile1 »

There are many and different reasons for reading a book... I usually read fictional books to relax and get transported to other worlds and have fun. I could read non-fictional books to broaden my knowledge of a topic or for specific research purposes. Either way, reading expands your brain by adding new words and meanings, opinions, concepts and understanding. It also enriches your imagination and can inspire new ideas or trigger memories. Reading is a simple yet complex thing... and that is what I like about it!
Rhea_K
Currently Reading: Rising Sun
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-k_2353942.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Rhea_K »

I love reading because it has honestly helped me survive through most of my life. It's similar to the way drugs, relationships or movies work. It's addicting and makes you want to experience the pleasure over and over again hence giving you a reason to breathe. I can't imagine living without books, my love for reading has become so much more than just a hobby, it is like oxygen given to a man on the brink of death.
Jordan Bricks
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-bricks.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Jordan Bricks »

For various reasons. Sometimes for leisure or research. But in all, when I grab a new book to read, I am looking forward to learn as much new things as possible, and also to help improve my grammar and vocabulary.
oussamaelmajid
Currently Reading: Amora
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by oussamaelmajid »

Information and knowledge is power, we are born ignorant, powerless, clueless, but we became who we are today thanks to all the books we have read from the simple ABC (first letters of language) primary school curriculum to present-day books/works!
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

Naturally I am very curious. This means that anything written down and seems to be interesting is good for me. The topic does not matter to me as long as I am free and not tied down with work
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”